Bit of help about starting my methotrexate ?

Options
pols090607
pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
edited 26. Jul 2010, 14:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Gang,

So sorry, I know metho has prob been covered a million times already on this forum but I just need a little bit of help.

I am due to take 7.5mg this week and was thinking of starting tonight. I'm anticipating side effects (think the worse...) but need to know what likely side effects I may have and how long after taking the metho did you notice the side effects as I am due into work all day Friday.

I know there's nausea but how bad did you get it - bad like you can't get out of bed or just feeling sickly ?

Thanks in advance xxxxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've been on injected meth for ages, more than two years I think, and my current dose is 17.5mg. I have only had one bout of nausea in all that time, and that only lasted a few hours. No big deal, meth is nasty stuff. Side effects are not guaranteed and they vary widely from person to person. Good luck! Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hopefully you will be lucky and not have any side effects. :wink:

When I was on the Mtx tabs I found nausea to be a problem (but only when I reached a much higher dose than 7.5).... the nausea tended to 'hit' me about 8hrs after taking them and lasted well into the next day. To try to alleviate the problem I took the Mtx late evening so that I could sleep through the first nausea 'sweep'.

Over time I did have other bigger probs with Mtx...so had to stop it for a while... when I restarted rheummy put me on the inject Mtx which I jab myself with on a Sunday. I still get the nausea but it is manageable.

Folic Acid is important to take when on Mtx, so I hope you've been prescribed these?

sorry I haven't painted a good picture but fingers crossed you don't have any problems. I think that it becomes a balance of coping with the side effects for the sake of getting the benefits of the drug.

let us know how you get on?

Iris x
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi,I started taking MTX mid May of this year(15mg a week).No side effects but after two weeks I developed a rash on both arms and the rheumy nurse said it was probably due to a reaction with sunlight.I was taken off MTX for two weeks and then my consultant lowered my dose to 7.5mg a week.I've been on that dose for a few weeks now and no side effects yet. :) Some people never get side effects with MTX and you may be one of the lucky ones.As far as I know the most common side effect is nausea and sickness but GP's can give an anti sickness pill to cope with that. Breane.x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Lots of people do what you do dont they Iris - sleep through the effects if there are any. Some eat lots the next day too to help (choccy biccies I think) and one of our friends got her queasiness teh day after that!! She's ok now though.

Good luck

Love

Toni xx

behind you all the way :wink:
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 21. Jul 2010, 10:50
    Options
    Hi Pols

Good luck with your meth tonight!

Will be thinking of you.

Love Tilly x
  • tarasmygirl
    tarasmygirl Member Posts: 70
    Options
    I started on 7.5mg of MTX 2 weeks ago.
    Been told to take it on a Sunday and the folic acid on Wednesdays. Take them when I get up in the mornings. Will be on this dose for 4 weeks then 4 weeks at 15mg then up to 20mg.
    So far only slight feeling of nausea Sunday - Tuesday but have been eating smaller potions and this may have helped.
    Hope this helps.

Cath
  • pols090607
    Options
    thanks so much for all the replies, just going to bite the bullet and take it tonight :shock: oh my god !

will post back in the morning and let you all know xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hope it works out for you Pols. The taking it late evening seems to be a popular strategy.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tinkerbell3
    tinkerbell3 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Because I was worried about feeling sick with MTX my GP gave me a perscription for anti sickness pills just in case. It made me a little less worried about taking the MTX. I found it best to take it at night to sleep through the worst of it.

Don't be afraid to go to GP if you feel bad, cause there are lots of things they can try - nobody should have to feel sick on top of everything else.
  • jordansmum
    jordansmum Member Posts: 257
    Options
    hi pol's jordan started on the same dose has just had his third lot the only thing we have notest is that he seems more tired than usual and very low we have been told that the mxt does seem to have this affect he takes his just before he goes to bed .hope this helps good luck
  • joon51
    joon51 Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi yes I agree with Jordansmum just took my 4th dose of mtx 15mg on Monday the only side effect I seem to get is being tired, still manage to get through my day at work (just). Sure it will go wll for you too.

Junexx
  • pols090607
    Options
    thanks again guys.

when i think of the children taking this medicine and other drugs too I feel like such a wimp - they are so brave.

my best friends daughter has juvenille arthritis and is about 5 months into metho, god bless her, she's adorable and so brave.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ps - the tablets are down the hatch now so here goes, let the fun begin :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, it's the morning after the night before. How are things? DD
  • pols090607
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Well I survived ! :lol:

Had a big evening meal and took them at 7pm, went to bed at 9pm, fell asleep soon after and got up at 7am - feel fine up to now.

Fingers crossed xx Thanks for all the support so far xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Wow!! Hope you continue to feel side-effect free and that they start to make a difference soon.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi

I take 20mg of Methotrexate weekly in pill form and don't feel any side effects.

In the beginning for the first few weeks I felt a wee bit sicky but that was it.

Think positive when you take them as some people get real results with it.

Carol
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    great start!

Iris xx :D
  • redkettle
    redkettle Member Posts: 26
    Options
    pols090607 wrote:
    Good Morning All,

Well I survived ! :lol:

Had a big evening meal and took them at 7pm, went to bed at 9pm, fell asleep soon after and got up at 7am - feel fine up to now.

Fingers crossed xx Thanks for all the support so far xx

Good for you. I find that about 36-48hrs after i take my dose, that i'm very tired and a bit drained energy wise. No other side effects thankfully.
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Pols - well done for braving your first dose! Hope you are still feeling ok with no side-effects. Have been thinking of you.
    Love Tillyx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well done Pols. I know you were so worried about taking them.

Fingers crossed they work asap you.

Lv, Ix
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope you are still feeling OK. DD
  • pols090607
    Options
    Hiya All,

Again, thanks for all the support and replies !

This morning I woke up feeling really quite groggy and sickly and could have happily stayed in bed !

Managed to get myself ready for work. My lovely hubby made me tea and toast whilst I got ready and after eating I felt better. (Kind of reminds me of morning sickness !!!)

Mid morning I've had tea and plain biscuits so I'm finding up to now that if I eat little and often (same as in my pregnancies) it seems to be ok.

At the mo I am only taking 7.5mg and am quite dreading the thought of 15mg the week after next, will defo take that dose on the Friday night so I have 3 days off work just incase of bad side effects.

Will keep you all posted, thanks again xxxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm glad to hear that you are coping, sometimes we build these things up so much in our minds we end up scaring ourselves! It sounds as tho you are doing what suits you, so keep up the good work. Have a lovely week-end. DD
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Pols, sorry not so good today - but glad you have your lovely hubby to look after you - makes the world of difference doesn't it?

Hopefully you will have managed at work and will be feeling well enough to enjoy the weekend

Thinking of you.

Love Tillyxx
  • pols090607
    Options
    Thanks everyone for everything, you are all so supportive and it's so nice to talk to people who understand.

I have just bought myself a lovely snakeskin handbag at lunchtime because I'm so brave :wink: :roll: although felt a bit dizzy at the shops, my own fault as should have eaten before I went !

I have bought me and the hubby a M&S tea so at least that's something less to worry about tonight - cooking !

Hopefully will get the kids to bed for 7.30pm then I can chill, a nice night of telly me thinks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx