Bit of help about starting my methotrexate ?

Options
2»

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Pols

Handbag sounds lovely and a well deserved treat!!!

Enjoy your M&S tea and relaxing telly evening.

Hope you are feeling less sicky and dizzy now.

Love Tillyx
  • pols090607
    pols090607 Bots Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks Tilly,

Last night wasn't so good. Felt so nauseus, just ended up going to bed at 9pm with my book. My daughter (6yr old) was up around midnight feeling sick and I felt so helpless and bloody useless too that my husband was sorting her out. I felt like crying at what my life has become :(

Managed to sleep anyhow and feel much better this morning, they're all still fast asleep in bed now.

I am going to the hairdressers today so hopefully that will cheer me up and my daughter is going bowling with a friend so at least I know she's happy. xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Arthritis does change lives. You will learn how to cope, you will learn how to conserve your energy for the things that matter, but it will take time. It's a huge adjustment to make: be thankful you have a husband to help - it would be far worse on your own. Rest today, that will help - as will the glamour treatment at the hairdressers! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Pols..

Ginger biscuits can help the nausea too.

Be kind to yourself.. a few more M & S dinners won't go amiss.

Marion
  • catlady
    catlady Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi Pols, I am newly diagnosed had a cortisone injection to start with and go to rheumy clinic on Tuesday so expect to start MTX then. Not looking forward to it, but great seeing all the tips to cope with any nasty side effects. Hope you are doing OK :) Jenny
    pols090607 wrote:
    Thanks Tilly,

Last night wasn't so good. Felt so nauseus, just ended up going to bed at 9pm with my book. My daughter (6yr old) was up around midnight feeling sick and I felt so helpless and bloody useless too that my husband was sorting her out. I felt like crying at what my life has become :(

Managed to sleep anyhow and feel much better this morning, they're all still fast asleep in bed now.

I am going to the hairdressers today so hopefully that will cheer me up and my daughter is going bowling with a friend so at least I know she's happy. xxx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Pols

So sorry you felt so bad last night but glad to hear you were feeling somewhat better today. Hope you made it to the hairdressers and were able to enjoy being pampered.

With all these drugs it's a roller-coaster ride. But, hopefully, before too long, you will find that the meth starts to take effect and you will then be in a position to weigh up the benefits against the side effects.

Meantime, with any luck, that's it for the nausea and you will be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend. Really hope so.

Love Tilly x
  • pols090607
    Options
    hiya all,

i managed to get the hairdressers, had a nice rest in there for 2 hrs and we went to a wedding last night.

i only drank 2 white wine spritzers as i was too scared with the metho and stuff. had lovely ice cold water after the wine to flush it out :roll:

i managed to chat to friends about how my condition has worsened without getting upset and that for me is a MASSIVE milestone and i can only put it down the positivity and support from this site so thank you.

feeling really tired today and achyso i know to rest as much as i can today, housework can wait, as can the food shop til tomorrow !

Jenny - hope it all goes ok for you - keep us posted, it will be good to compare how you're getting on with your metho too.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Pols, You have done really well. Hope you enjoyed the wedding and well done you for taking everything through with your friends.
    Sometimes its good to say things out loud.
    Taking things easy when you are not so good is the key. :wink:
    Good for you. Enjoy your rest day.

Lv, Ix
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Pols I noticed you said you had alcohol, don't know if you or anyone else can answer this,

Are you allowed to drink alcohol whilst on methotrexate?

I may only drink wine once a month with some friends but it is yet another thing I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy if I went on the medication, maybe another red herring I have heard along the way. Normally I am a factual girl but seem to have been dropping the balls recently and listening to hearsay too much.

If someone could clarify it would be good, also do injections mean less side effects than tablets?

thanks
    Jen
  • pols090607
    Options
    Hi Jen,

In my purple methotrexate booklet from the hospital it says with regards to alcohol then 2-3 units per day is alright.

I took the Metho on a Wednesday and had 2 wines on the Saturday, I suppose I gave it a few days as I'd read on here that's what a few people do too.

Love Pols x
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    Options
    Hi - i think again it depends on how you are with the methx!! i found that i just didnt want to drink!!! because the methx goes out of the system via the liver, this is why they say small amounts!! some people are told not to drink at all!! remember thou that you will have regular blood tests so this will show if liver not working properly - but i was also told to tell the nurse if i did have a drink??

LOuise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    jenfa1 wrote:
    Pols I noticed you said you had alcohol, don't know if you or anyone else can answer this,

Are you allowed to drink alcohol whilst on methotrexate?

I may only drink wine once a month with some friends but it is yet another thing I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy if I went on the medication, maybe another red herring I have heard along the way. Normally I am a factual girl but seem to have been dropping the balls recently and listening to hearsay too much.

If someone could clarify it would be good, also do injections mean less side effects than tablets?

thanks
    Jen

I believe at one time alcohol and MTX was a definite no no! Latest recomendation according to my rheumy is OK in moderation. In other words keep intake well within standard maximum recs for men and women.

I have just started on MTX as well and am keeping my intake very much in moderation and if blood tests turn out OK then I will continue in this vain until told differently.

Everyone is different and some posters on here don't touch alcohol at all as it doesn't agree with them along with the medication. Therefore I would suggest it is a case of trial and error I'm afraid.

As a typical Scot who has always enjoyed a refreshment or two it's very much all change in my world. If the truth be told I probably feel the better for it :o

As for your other question I have had no side effects as yet 'touch wood' Long may that be the case! Only 2 weeks in though!

Good luck
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello william, I'm glad you are being sensible! I think that's essential in the early stages as the effects of meth vary so widely from person to person. Thank whoever that I'm past that stage and can carry on the abuse much as before! Had a wonderfully boozy holiday recently, did my bloods the first week I was back (with some apprehension, truth be told) to find that levels had halved - and they weren't in the risk zone before I went, just a little bit raised. Weird. I have to say I felt far better without meth for the two weeks I was away. I don't have side-effects as such - I just feel worse with it sloshing around in my system. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • williamlargs
    williamlargs Member Posts: 143
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello william, I'm glad you are being sensible! I think that's essential in the early stages as the effects of meth vary so widely from person to person. Thank whoever that I'm past that stage and can carry on the abuse much as before! Had a wonderfully boozy holiday recently, did my bloods the first week I was back (with some apprehension, truth be told) to find that levels had halved - and they weren't in the risk zone before I went, just a little bit raised. Weird. I have to say I felt far better without meth for the two weeks I was away. I don't have side-effects as such - I just feel worse with it sloshing around in my system. DD

Hi DD glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday. I assume you dropped the meth for the 2 weeks you were away?

Only side effect I have noticed is that I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

Having said that my wife claims I have had that uncanny ability for as long as she has known me :lol:
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone for your comments, DD messaged me and suggested I search the forum and found where you had posted I think Wiliam particularly on meth and alcohol.

As has kindly been pointed out we are all individuals and I might not suffer from the side effects that others have, I am concerned about the tiredness side of things, it is the severe fatigue that I am suffering which is the main reason I am going back to see the doc so if it makes you more tired I'll be in bed all week!

Just need to wait to see what happens but I think knowing some of the side effects beforehand means I can discuss them. Meths was suggested a few years ago but whether it is still appropriate is another question. I'm sure I will post nearer my appointment for assistance!
    Jen