Ooh a soak in the bath!!

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 28. Jul 2010, 10:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Funny how things I took for granted pre-op are SO fab post op.

This week I have been working out how to get onto the floor and having refined my technique decided it was time to have a dry run getting in and out the bath and then yesterday I decided to have a real one!!

I got in by transferring from the perching stool (couldn't do this before and needed an arrangement of low step, zimmer and back handle on perching stool to get into bath and stand under shower). I got in, knelt down, got on hands and knees and pushed op leg back a bit, turned over onto bottom - being careful to keep trunk straight, not let knee cross midline and not to twist. Then lay down - lovely!! New hip felt fine. Old one protested a little. Fantastic. Fine getting out too. (Had mobile and dressing gown within reach in case got stuck!! Though not sure who I'd have rung since everyone at work ...)

Looking forward to reclaiming my bath slot on Sunday mornings - watch out S!! That slot is mine!!

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm giving you a score of 10 out of 10!!!!!

I know I shouldn't laugh but whilst reading your description it was like reading instructions on a gymnastics move!!

So, now we BOTH have smiles on our faces :lol:

I'm glad you managed it as there is nothing better than a soothing and indulgent bath!

Hope your bathe gives you a nice relaxing evening.

Carol x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done you! Take it gently tho - it's very easy to lose concentration and end up in a right pickle! Did you deal with the earbrows at the same time, or was this a luxury (not practical) bath? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • thehiplady
    thehiplady Member Posts: 11
    Options
    ooh i so remember the thrill of my first post-op bath - and yes I had my mobile to hand but then wondered how the ambulance crew were going to gain access to the flat
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Carola - glad I made you smile. I am very proud of my method - it took quite a few days of problem solving and perfecting to work it out!!

DD - this was strictly a pamper-bath! Since it was midday and I needed my wits about me - I had a coffee (and not red wine,) lots of bubbles and a good book to read. BLISS!

Hi Hiplady and welcome, I haven't spotted you posting before. Oh so true about the key!! But I do have a friend who has a spare. I was seriously hoping NOT to have to ring for help!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well done Speedy :D It really is great having a good soak. I was struggling for a while last year, ok getting in but could not always get out. Ok Hubby was there but he's so deaf now and has been known to forget how long I've been missing :roll:

Lv, Ix
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh ironic, I know I shouldn't laugh but . . . . . .!

How's jessicar? DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi speedy

you're some girl...bath.. and in the middle of the day too. :lol::wink:

I am jealous you know... haven't been able to have a bath for years (but I do shower!!!)
    the last time I tried to have a bath was three years ago... got in the bath with a bit of trouble granted...but could not get out again. Hands and elbows couldn't take the strain and knees wouldn't either. After more than an hour..and laughing at my own idiocy.. I did a kind of fosbury flop over the side.
    Haven't ever told my family or they would have a 'fit' as I was in the house on my own and hadn't the presence of mind to have a phone handy.

Not my finest hour. :roll: :lol::lol:

seriously though speedy, good on ya for achieving yet another milestone in your post op adventure. it must have felt sooo good. :wink: :!:

Iris xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Very good Speedy, I have seen that move performed on the beam.
    How lovely that warm water must have felt. Its many years since I had a bath and required a very strong man to help me but you have got me wondering now.......

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I hope you kept your toes pointed?

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Oh ironic, I know I shouldn't laugh but . . . . . .

How's jessicar? DD

I know, 34yrs and he's still standing!!! Ain't love grand :roll:

She's doing good. Can still beat the the nit wits that will not give way when I'm joining the motorway. Do'nt bug me, hormonal woman coming through.... :lol::lol:
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Oh very well done Speedy! That's another thing ticked off the list of achievements. I think the only thing left now for you to sort out is the getting up and down off the floor....

You're a real inspiration .. if it wasn't for you, I would still be having to have strip washes!!

Marion
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy,
    Thats great.....I did so admire your attempt a while back....the one with your friend...and all the contraptions LOL We do take things so much for granted. I do so remember after that 6 week period LOL
    Love
    Hileena
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Speedy,

well done :D:D:D:D:D

must have been something in the air yesterday ...... cos I had my first proper bath in ages thanks to a now fully working bathlifter :D:D:D

It was bliss to enjoy a good soak without having to worry about the potential dangers of trying to get out :roll: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

glad you enjoyed your bath & well done for being such a great problemsolver :wink:

wonky xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi speady well done went weeks not able to bath and the feeling of that first bath is great lol no stopping you now val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    Well done Speedy :D It really is great having a good soak. I was struggling for a while last year, ok getting in but could not always get out. Ok Hubby was there but he's so deaf now and has been known to forget how long I've been missing :roll:

Lv, Ix
    :shock:
    SCARY!!!!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Speedy

You did really well - sounds like you have to be totally on the ball there though :?

Not sure i could remeber it all - midline....and all that...

I expect it's second nature by now though :D

How long did you got without one?? I have one every night and would be miserable without :( showers just aint the same when I have to resort to them :(

LOve

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have known for most of my life that I march to the beat of a different drum. I just do not 'get' baths. We have one bathroom, containing our solitary lavatory, washbasin, bath and over-bath shower. The Husband adores baths, he lies there and thinks, sometimes for as long as a couple of hours, topping up the water from time to time. He gets very annoyed when I bang on the door and march in for a wee, thus disturbing the pondering, but HONESTLY, with my major tea consumption, what am I supposed to do? Widdle in the garden?

In those days long ago when I could get in and out of a bath, I would set out with good intentions: candles or a cup of tea or a book, settle down in the water but then, after about five minutes get bored and think about all the things I should be doing. Now my knees don't bend sufficiently to enable egress - entry is easy, just fall down and watch the tidal wave! - but the getting out is impossible. I don't miss it one bit: shower for me, everytime. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Speedy
    Sorry but you do make me laugh, but my god you deserve a medal for your inspiration to others.
    How lovely that bath must have felt.
    You keep on in that frame of mind and you wont go far wrong.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,927
    Options
    Hi Speedy.
    i'm pleased you enjoyed your bath i bet it felt lovely.
    good on you take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    ohh Ironic - what is he like?!

Iris - you wouldn't go for a bath lift gadget?

Elizabeth - I shall check what my toes are doing next time!!

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Pixy, I once rented a flat with a shower and not bath ... it was the one thing I really missed when I lived there. So I don't blame you.

Hi Marion - strip washes are horrid aren't they!! Glad you are still enjoying your showers. If we didn't have a go at these things .. can you imagine - strip washes forever!!

Hi Hileena - I remembered you recounting your first bath and searched for your post to check when it was. It was that which spurred me on to have a go on my own, so thanks!!

Speedy
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I can't beleive i found you lot funny - great sense of humour we all have really about quite difficult issues. :wink:

DD my husband is the same - he wants TWO baths a day, but I have pointed out the environmental issues concerned and he now has a shower am :D

Enjoy your soaks everyone :)

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

Well done but I was wondering..... how did you get out? See last time I had a bath I got stuck and couldn't get out for ages..... I would have died in there rather than call for help :lol::lol::lol: But I just wondered how did you get out cus I might be able to utilise something for the useless back from it.....

Hope S will let you have your slot back. Hey how are you both? ((( ))) Cris xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Cham,

Ho you doing? Its working for now and I am so glad it is.... cold turkey isn't good :wink: ((( ))) Cris xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Wonky - funny that - both inspired on the same day. The bathlift sounds great, enjoy.

Val - I've always loved baths, but not having things definitely makes you appreciate them more!!

Toni - last bath was 11th May (evening before op!!) Have obviously washed since (honest!) and started having showers around 4 weeks post op ... the first shower felt great, but I do prefer baths (unless the weather is sweltering.)

Babycham - thanks for tips.

DD - having the only toilet and the bath in the same room is very infuriating! No point you getting a bathlift then if you prefer showers.

Barbara and Joan - thanks, it WAS lovely.

Speedy