Feeling disappointed and confused

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 29. Sep 2010, 03:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I thought I`d give you an update of how things are going. I spoke to the consultants secretary today, in the hope of getting some clarification on my hip restrictions following my recent dislocation of my THR.
Unfortunately she did not speak to the surgeon who did my THR yesterday, and did not say she will be able to speak to him :( . Also the letter from the surgeon I saw in clinic (the one who has said I need the restrictions for life) has not yet done the letter for my work as promised, and she will ask him again. Also, the surgeon who I am seeing for my other hip , he hasn`t spoken to him yet either. I am feeling a bit let down, but she said she will speak to them both.
With regards to the restrictions, today she said maybe the `for life` advice IS because of the dislocation and may need to stay. :shock: But she will get the written clarification, but she did say that last week!!
So, more waiting.......
NB

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nearly

Frustrating that isnt it? :(

I feel for you - they coulsnt organise a p***up in a brewery could they?

Typical.

I hope they ALL agree your restrictions - whatever they are - so you know properly where you stand :roll:

Love and sympathy

Toni xx

PS ring her back monday if you haven't heard :wink:
  • sillyswede
    sillyswede Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hello Nearlybionic,

I feel for you, really can't be easy for you at all... My advice is keep calling them till they get the hint. You need answers, and they need to understand that! Have you got anyone to help you down to the clinic? Might be an idea (if you feel able) to get down there and tell them you won't leave until you get seen and get to speak to someone!!

Thinking of you, SS x
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Toni and SS
    Yes it is frustrating, and I am going to keep pestering them. Its the only way to make sure they do what they say they will. They won`t forget me in a hurry!!
    I think its worse what you are at home sitting waiting for a phone call or a letter, when it doesn`t happen, you get more frustrated! If I was busy at work or something I wouldn`t be thinking about it.
    I might run it by my GP too if I don`t hear anything soon. See what she can come up with.
    NB
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    That's so disappointing NB..

Yes - definitely keep pestering her..

Marion x
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi,
    oh how frustrating, it's just not on is it? all the waiting for information seems not to be a priority for anyone does it. You might get an answer if you got occy health to write to them but they don't move fast either!
    Hope the pain has settled and you are keeping occupied. I feel for you though with the restrictions for life guidance that you dare not break at present.

Hope you get some answers soon
    x elaine
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh NB,
    I really feel for you....its awful sitting waiting for a call especially when not working.....and I cant be bothered to do anything nor get up the enthusiasm to go anywhere while I'm in limbo like this.
    I do feel a bit sorry for consultants secretarys....I'm tormenting mine and I think shes good but just not getting very far with getting answers for me....Mine are nowhere near as serious as the ones you want answered.
    Lets just we get the answers we need before the weekend

loads of ((((())))))))

Hileena
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi The waiting is always, for me, the hardest part. Its just thoughtless that your doctor hasn't done the things promised. I don't think they understand just how much we depend on them and the stress that it causes. I often wonder how much better we would all be if we didn't have to battle with medics and benefits people etc.

Take care and try to relax as much as possible. Lots of love Suexxx
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi NB
    I would go see your GP she will get more answers than you will get from wrightington, my GP got in touch with them when I had a problem with them and everything got sorted by him. Its very frustrating isnt it. Good luck with it all.
    Denise.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB

Any news yet?

Love
    Hileena
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Oh NB

that is so frustrating. :? and annoying for you :x

Perhaps you need to put your questions into writing for the consultants and e-mail the secretary you've been dealing with. :idea: you can also print off a copy for your GP... or CC him into the e-mail.

Phonecalls can be forgotten about....and there is no 'paper trail' for anyone to refer to or time-line. Putting it into writing is much harder to ignore and is ready reminder of the points you've raised.

you can't be left wondering what the consultant meant :| and it is just not fair to keep you waiting any longer for answers. :?

(((hugs)))

Iris xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi NB, sorry only just seen this. How frustrating. I think you should follow Denpen and Iris' advice. Give the two methods a race!! At least you will feel proactive. Make a GP appointment to ask him to chase things up and write to consultant too.

Hope you get some answers soon.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

I am sorry they are messing you about a bit... Its so often eh way when they have to talk to each other! I really hope she does get back to you and you get the letter soon.... Its just wrong to keep you wondering as you can't sort things out till you know. I do hope you find the restriction are not for life but if they are flower you will cope. You have coped with so much already. Sending you a (((( )))) and so many hopes this is soon sorted. Cris xx
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi Nearlybionic,

Logged on tonight first time in a while could not believe when I read about your hip especially when We had our ops a week apart. I hope you are over the shock and feeling a bit better and that you can delay the other a little while so you can recover.

Take care

C
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi NB

Sorry you are still waiting for some clarification there about the restrictions. No wonder you are well fed up of being kept waiting. I hope you are able to have a reasonable weekend and that things improve for you soon.
    I have been thinking of you.
    take care
    Chris
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi and thanks everyone for your support,
    (Collette, nice to see you here, hope you are doing ok xx)
    I haven`t heard anything before the weekend, but wasn`t really expecting to.
    I have had a lovely night OUT last night! We took 11 girls and boys out for a posh meal for my daughters birthday. It was nice to get out and although there were no disabled loos which would have been the correct height, but the chairs were high enough, using 1 cushion. So apart from not being able to go to the loo (didn`t need it , sorry TMI!! :oops: ) I didn`t feel `restricted` at all! My hubby drove, and we went early in evening so it wasn`t too busy at first. Idid feel a bit nervous when leaving when it was busy, but didn`t get bumped into or anything.
    We have friends coming to visit today, so I will be busy and not thinking too much about things hopefully.
    Hope you are feeling ok Cris xxxxx Big Week Over! :D

Thanks again

NB
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Glad you had such a great night out NB :D:wink:

hope you enjoy the weekend every bit as much!

love n (((hugs)))

Iris x
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Hi
    Its good to hear your having such a good weekend it will definately take your mind off things for a while.
    Denise
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi NB

Sorry to hear that you've been messed about by the hospital. Can you not get a sick note from your GP if they're taking so long to do anything? It seems that things differ regionally but my meds are generally always sorted by my GP rather than the consultant.

How on earth are you coping with a dislocated THR? I'm sending you lots of cyber hugs and I hope that things get sorted very soon.

It sounds as if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Fingers crossed you receive better news soon.

Regards
    Sharmaine
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine
    I have a sick note for another 4 weeks. My hip was put back in place in theatre within hours of it dislocating. I really could not have coped for much longer , it was very painful, and further delay could result in nerve/circulatory damage.
    It is recovery time now a bit like post op re: crutches, no driving, hip precautions etc.. But the clarification I need is how long I need to observe the hip precautions for as I have been given some conflicting advice by consultants. This is what i am waitng to to be cleared up, so i can discuus with work when I am ready to go back.
    Hope you are doing ok
    NB
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Nearly,

I wish I had been about more this week for you :oops: Your work thing... they do help you don't they?

You so need someone to just tell you the answer to the hip restrictions....... I wish I knew how you could get that but leaving you a ((((( ))))) and a bucket of hopes someone will help with your questions soon. As to the conflicting ones...nearly which consultant do you trust the most? That's what I would go with I think. Another ((( ))) and I am keeping your invisibility cloak for a bit if that's ok? The last thing you need now is invisibility :wink: Sorry i am not much help but keep asking and insisting they give you some kind of answer that's near each other. Cris xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Thanks Cris,
    I really appreciate the support I get here from everyone, it helps to talk about things.
    Unfortunately I do not know any of the consultants i am seeing currently very well. As my original surgeon has moved on, I have seen one of the others twice, one once (a locum) and do not meet my new permanent surgeon til December. I will wait a couple of days for contact from the secretary (although I am not very good at waiting! :oops: ) and I have been thinking of either emailing her or writing to her with my concerns.
    I had a bad day yesterday, following a sleepless night on Saturday. My hip was painful and felt unstable again, with my other hip joining in for good measure. I am disappointed as I thought I was improving, but know it will take time.(again Mrs Impatient!) I will try to rest +++++ today.
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It is so easy to take two steps forward then a whole load back - I suspect your impatience isn't helping either! The week-end was probably a little rough as you were recovering from the gathering - these things take it out of one but you don't notice at the time as fun is being had! I hope you are using at least one stick at the moment, to help take the strain off your new hip. Your impatience is understandable, but try to give yourself (and others) the time to do things. It was a big setback nearlybionic, it will take time to recover from it. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi DD
    I suspect you are right that my trip out has taken it out of me. I am having a restful day today, I promise. I am using elbow crutches until 6 weeks as advised by the hospital where I was treated for the dislocation. However the pain and instability can be felt when I am lying down in bed, not just whilst walking. I am trying to get the balance right between rest and movement, as I am trying to prevent weight gain (well, more weight :oops: ) as this will not help my hips.
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a difficult tightrope to walk, I realise that. Do you support your leg in bed with a pillow or somesuch, placed either under it or wedged against it. Would that help or hinder? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi NB

Goodness that must have been scary stuff having to go back into theatre. I think they should sign you off for another 12 weeks to make up for what you've been through!

I hope you get the clarification you require soon. It doesn't help when you have to worry about work.

I'm doing really well thank you. My TKR has been in place 7 months now. I get the odd twinge but none of the pain I used to have in that leg. It has been great to be able to walk unaided - I was a mess before the op!!! I would rejoice at not having any pain at all but the other knee; hands; shoulders/arm let me know that I'm alive with arthur as company.

Regards
    Sharmaine
    Hi Sharmaine
    I have a sick note for another 4 weeks. My hip was put back in place in theatre within hours of it dislocating. I really could not have coped for much longer , it was very painful, and further delay could result in nerve/circulatory damage.
    It is recovery time now a bit like post op re: crutches, no driving, hip precautions etc.. But the clarification I need is how long I need to observe the hip precautions for as I have been given some conflicting advice by consultants. This is what i am waitng to to be cleared up, so i can discuus with work when I am ready to go back.
    Hope you are doing ok
    NB