Unis :)

stephibabe2 Member Posts: 60
edited 3. Oct 2010, 18:07 in Young people's community
Hey Guys,
So at the moment I have been visiting a few univirsitys as I am hoping to study at one next September. So .. the question is (well a 2 actually)
What support did you need when at uni?
And was it hard to get the Disability students allowence, what did it help you to buy etc?

Thanks guys, will be a great help as I'm getting overloaded with this uni stuff. One day I feel positive about it the next Im like ahhh! should I really be going ahead with all this.
Take care guys, Steph xx


  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm now a masters student and I applied for DSA at my undergrad uni and as a postgrad. I was awarded it both times. I had an assessment of need done both times and it drew up a series of recommendations to help me.

    As an undergrad I got: a proper office chair; a book holder; a dictaphone; voice recognition software; reimbursed for my laptop; money to pay for note-takers and exam staff; a book allowence.

    As a postgrad I got: a new dictaphone and microphone; voice recognition software; reimbursed for my laptop; money for a note-taker, library support and exam staff; a book allowence; Omnipage software.

    DSA is very useful in helping you to buy things that are necessary for you study as any other student. As my hands are particularly affected a lot of my aids were simed towards helping me with typing and note-taking. The disability depts at both my universities have been very helpful - giving me permission to use the lifts on campus if I need to, making sure my tutors are aware of my problems and generally being there if I need them.

    Good luck!
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Steph
    Ooo looking at unis exciting and daunting

    I did 3 degrees and got assessed in the 1st one for DSA
    It was a funny experience because when I was 1st diagnosed I had just started uni and unfortunately the disabled students support office wasn't up and running yet so I had 6mths of limbo but once there they were absolutely fabulous.
    They sorted out a wonderful dsa assessment at the local centre which was dealt with with only helpfulness and sensitivity.
    This went through what my course needed and what I needed as an individual and looked at equipment, support and things like extra time in exams.
    Equipment wise I ended up with a laptop, a special mouse, a most amazing office chair, a movable back rest/support to take to lessons, a dictaphone, a footrest, money for software so that I could work from home on bad days (these days i think you can mostly link through the university internet connection for this), and speechtyping software.
    I also got an allowance for somebody to carry my books from the library although mostly my friends did this for free, a photocopying card to cover the expense of copying other peoples notes, somebody to help make models ( i did architecture)
    They also gave me support and advice on how to deal with unsympathetic tutors, the fact in the lift in my building kept breaking down and extra time for assignments and exams as well as just coping with doing a very difficult degree with a very difficult illness. They also got me in touch with somebody about counselling as I had a hard time with diagnosis.
    To be honest they were amazing, often a little disorganised but always helpful.
    If I were you I would when you narrow down where you want to go see if you can have a chat with the disability service at each one
    I would also get in contact with the students union disabled society there is bound to be one....there might be one or two people who know what you are going through other wise its just one more place to meet fabulous friends...and learn new skills ( I played blind football with them which is an experience to behold. )
    Good luck I hope you find somewhere great