Prince William/ Kate Middleton engagement

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 23. Nov 2010, 10:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I am pleased that Prince William and Kate Middleton have announced their engagement at last. They seem very well- suited and happy together, so good luck to them. :D

However, I'm not sure how I would feel about wearing Princess Diana's engagement ring if I were in Kate's position. It seems symbolic of an unhappy and ill-fated marriage, although I can understand William's wish to have a link with his mother. What do you think?

Joan :D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Joan
    Its a beautiful ring, but that is just what I was thinking.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Sorry Joan,just sent you a pm,as thought this post had disappeared.Understand the sentiment totally but as a bride to be would like to have my own ring and keep mum's for maybe first daughter or just wear on right hand,not that I am either! Personally I feel that Princess Diana was too good for the Royals,she could have achieved so much for this country and it's people but was forced to employ that in other countries,not that she regretted it,I'm sure,just,well I feel she was not allowed to fulfill her role as she would have liked to done in her own country.I wish the Royal couple well,and hope Kate will handle it,but also think,that Diana taught them all a lesson,and the pressure on Kate will never be as it was on her.Mirabella
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't think that young man is short of a bob or two - will he also recycle his mother's wedding ring? It's a sign of what she has signed up for - I hope she loves him - and he her - enough. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Maybe Joan, the ring will bring them better luck.

I wish them all the best for a long and happy marriage together :D

Love

toni xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Best of luck to them both, I hope they're truly happy together, unlike the sham that was his parents marriage, blaming Jug ears for that one.. I think William would make a much better King than Charles would anyway..

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I used to think he was the spit and image of Diana, but he's now looking more like his father every time I see a photo.

Still, good luck to them both, they will need it; I agree with whoever said that some lessons were learned over the Charles and Diana fiasco. If there was ever an 'arranged' marriage that was one of them, William has at least had some say in the matter. Perhaps fate and the media will be a little more kindly towards this pair.

Not sure about the ring......but can see that the gesture will appeal to the 'sentimental' types (of which I am not one).

But I avidly watch all the clothes and outfits on the day.........

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    To me, an engagement ring is a symbol of love and commitment between two people, but when Prince Charles gave this particular ring to Diana, he was really still in love with Camilla. Consequently, it represents everything that was wrong in the marriage right from the start. If I were Kate Middleton, I wouldn't want to wear it with that knowledge. I would think that it was an ill omen, even if it is a beautiful ring.

Del, am I just being like the pessimist in your quote :?:
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    However, I'm not sure how I would feel about wearing Princess Diana's engagement ring if I were in Kate's position.
    He gave it to Kate partly in remembrance of his mother who he has really, really missed. Hopefully, all their bad luck is now over and they will be very happy together.

Their wedding rings will be new and made from Welsh gold. They always have been.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    However, I'm not sure how I would feel about wearing Princess Diana's engagement ring if I were in Kate's position.
    He gave it to Kate partly in remembrance of his mother who he has really, really missed. Hopefully, all their bad luck is now over and they will be very happy together.

Their wedding rings will be new and made from Welsh gold. They always have been.

Joseph 8)

Hi Joseph

Yes, I can see that to William the ring represents a way of including his mother in his happiness, so from that point of view, I can understand why he wanted to give it to Kate.

I feel sorry for Kate because I think that the press will hound her more than ever now, but I expect that is something she can't avoid. I hope that they won't keep drawing comparisons with Diana all the time, as I suspect they will.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    I wish them all the best, their interview showed them to relaxed, Will more so than Kate, but, they seemed quite at ease together. It must have been a difficult decision for Kate to wear Diana's engagement ring. The press will be all over Kate like a rash, but I am sure she is well aware of that and has been primed and ready for them.
    Everyone loves a Royal wedding.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Can you imagion being the parents...wonder if they will have to pay for it all?????? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    No doubt the tax payer will bear a huge percentage of the cost - it will be hidden in things like paying for the police, security checks, stuff like that. The force will whinge they ain't got the resources to cover it, up goes one's council tax in 2012. DD
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Wonder if the unemployed will be given their Litter Picking job,after the wedding ceromony,that would take at least I week out of their 4 :) Mirabella
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Im already sick of all the media coverage its getting....And how long did they date for - any bet she got sick of waiting and gave him an ultimatum......

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Elainex
  • grampyal
    grampyal Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi, Have to agree with Delboy about the media. Even had someone on telly who didn't know who he was. The thought that came to me this morning was that Kate MUST believe that Diana was not killed by order of the royals or else she is VERY much in love. I know i'm in the minority but I never liked Diana or more correctly the image we were given of her as of course I never met her but to me she came across as insincere and the good work seemed a publicity thing. Her life after the divorce did little for the country and I believe not much for her children. I know this is not a popular feeling and I hope no-one is offended.
    Al
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Who on the media didn't know who delboy is? :shock: :D Seriously grampy? Someone didn't know who PW is? That is weird. Agree on the Diana thing tho. Never trust a woman who looks up at you from a dipped head. DD
  • bentley8
    bentley8 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Wonder if one will cut back on the heating, like turn it down a notch, see if one can save a few bob, towards millions it's gonna cost, PARASITES.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    As soon as i heard this i thought what bad timing. they have been together for so long why choose a time at such a bad economic time with people facing redundancies, cuts, benefit cuts etc yet they will spend some obsence amount of money on this whilst people,the common people are worried about a roof over their heads.
    As for the ring if she had died in different circumstances it would have been a nice thought to remember her but i dont think its apt.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I'm another one with the unpopular view of Diana - I never was a fan and never will be.

Still, this marriage just might work, William hasn't got a Camilla lurking in the background and Kate Middleton might just have more spirit and common sense than Diana ever did.

Annie
  • joanlawson
    Options
    With regard to the cost of the wedding, I don't imagine that it will be such a lavish affair as royal weddings have been in the past. I think that they will want it to be relatively low-key, although I'm sure that it will still cost millions in terms of security etc.

Cameron and Clegg are probably delighted; they will be hoping that the wedding will provide a welcome distraction from all the gloom caused by the cuts.
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I couldn't care less.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Well, call me an old romantic, but I see two young people in love, and I wish them well.

I also remember two little boys, bravely following their mothers coffin.......and a tiny posy of white flowers, with one word......Mummy. No matter what else she may have been, Diana was a mother, and she adored them, and they her.

Yes, I wish them well for the future.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Hi Ange

Yes, I think that they are obviously in love, and I think that they look right together in a way that Charles and Diana never did.

I'm a romantic too, so I hope that they will be very happy together.

Joan
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi I'm with Salamander
    I just don't care.
    Fed up of media hype already.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Same old same old. Keeps the press business takes peoples minds off what a bad time they are going through, something for the people of UK to look forward to next year!!!!! It should bring in a huge revenue to UK with everything that will be sold in connection with the wedding, mind you it will not be made in UK but China. So many positives????? I am not really bothered about it either all i can see is the extra expense to a country that is trouble that cannot even keep its old folks warm and fed. Social services are under pressure, child are living in awful condition and being abuse....Yes great timing for a wedding cannot think of anything better, well done Kate and William!!!