Heron!!!

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 20. Nov 2010, 11:08 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi All

Was feeling a bit ill this morning due to monthly stuff and bad nights sleep so was just having a piece of toast this morning. Someone over the way has been getting an extention done and they only took down the scaffolding yesterday aft...So was there groaning and saw these big wings go up on the extention roof, thought "thats a big seagull"....Stood up and it were a Heron...Now I do live on Heron Hill but we dont see them often...Couldnt get a camera and it must have had its beady eye on something, as it flew off...Anyhow it came back within 10 mins and I was fascinated by it - quite unusual creatures aint they?
I know im easily pleased....But it were good, just hope it didnt eat the contents of someone's fish pond.....

Elainex

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    saw one on the thames a few years back and they are amazing birds we also get one on the canal near here from time to time val
    val
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    A gourmet fish supper then for the Heron? Lol...

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Val

It certainly took my mind off my aching tum this morning....Just wish could work a digital camera..

Elainex
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Hi Elaine It might sound un believable but last year,here, in one of the most arid parts of Spain when for most of the year most of the rivers are empty.We had a heron sitting on our pump house roof looking into the swimming pool.Not seen it before or since.Strange world :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • grampyal
    grampyal Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi, We had a heron sitting on the rof a few years back and as you say thought how nice then realised it was looking into the fish pond. Don't know if it had taken any fish. I went to local pond centre( about 4 miles away) to get mesh and they said they had had one there, probably the same one but this one had had a belly full of fish. They saw it on one of the ponds and chased it away but said it could hardly get off the ground it was so full of fish. Now having grandchildren around the pond has a heavy duty metal mesh over it so the heron hasn't a chance of getting the fish.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi elaine

We once had a heron on the shed in our garden too.

It was my daughter who spotted it and we also were too late with the camera.

Looked quite scarey but amazing. Thought it was prehistoric :lol::lol:

Found out that further down from me they have a pond.

Haven't seen it again .

Juliepfx ps hope you are well
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    As I live very close to river I see Herons all the time,they are very large,almost Jurrasic like creatures,have spent years trying to locate nest,no luck yet,but have seen them taking fish from river,from really quite close up,my large german shepard is scared of them.Mirabella
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Well elaine

i am glad I read that wrong - I put an I in Heron :oops:

How lovely wish I'd seen it too.

Poor Del's fish

Love

Toni xx
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Tone
    Well i m sure i saw some when i was in portugal 2 years ago...We were in the region of Tavira and there were salt banks there......
    Never heard of or seen them whilst ive been in spain...

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Grampyal

Well i suppose they see food and they just want it dont they, i mean do they know that they are eating our pets??? I suppose id gorge meself too if id been a heron and pay the consequences afterwards...

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Julie

Im not sure who has a pond near us, only know so many of neighbours....They do look quite prehistoric dont they, very unelegant when flying...

Im okay thanks, just get really painful time of months now as got over 40..not a spot of blood to be seen but already had 4 ibuprofens...Be fine...

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Mirabella

I dont think ive ever seen a baby heron you know now you mention nests...Speaking of your dog being scared of them...I owned a tortoise as a kid and cats n dogs used to jump back in fear the the sight of my Speedy!!!!!

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Toni

Yes it was a sight for me n Woody to watch...fascinating...

You need to go to Specsavers ....Lol :?

Elainex
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    If you catch one and pluck it they are only the size of a black bird how crazy is that?!, anyway that's enough of being stupid, who's got the pond then coz that's what the bugger will be looking for, we had fish in ours and the bloody Heron kept coming in to have a feed, I know it's just nature doing it's "thing" so unlike a lot of people I didn't blame Mr Heron for just trying to get a bit of fast food, I mean I did sort of invite him/her in by displaying live Sushi so I did the sensible thing and gave the fish to a safer home, ponds still there full of frogs and newts and the Heron doesn't bother coming in anymore well not often and if he does I just ignor it as it needs to live and I don't begrudge the odd frog going missing I have bucket loads anyway!.
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi Elaine,you say about tortosies,I have a huge fear of them,so stupid I know,they are harmless,slow and do nothing except eat,but they make me shake with fear! whats that all about :?: My daughter as a little girl,found a box full of these things in a field and brought them home one day,she let them out of the box and there must have been at least a dozen of these creatures,crawling up my hallway.Well I had a fit :x A friend called in thank god scooped them up and took them away.I had a very distressed little girl,but I came down from the ceiling and was able to breath again.They are just so not my favourite idea of a pet.Each to there own :) Mirabella. PS don't do snakes either ugh!sorry to all you reptile fans.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    I see them all the time across the road from our house at the beck. They are big birds and are buggers for clearing people ponds up here. I love them because i do not have a pond and for their size they are quite gracefully when taking of and flying. All manner of wide life deer, badgers, foxes, weasels, kingfishers and more....i am soooo lucky. Love living in North Yorkshire. :):):):):):)
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Mellman

Well yeah i mean you were the Gordon Ramsay of the Heron world, offering them up sushi on tab!!!But seriously you havent caught one and plucked it have you???
    And hey I love frogs so im a bit upset now about the frogs being for tea....Best not tell my beany frog Sol... :-(

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Mirabella

What your daughter found a box of tortoises, am I reading your message right? Who would abandon such animals...?
    Now then ive heard of peeps being scared of snakes n such but lil tortoises, come on theyre cute...When you say they do nothing but eat youre wrong...They burrow quite deep and can get under any fence you put round them, also they can climb although this can be to their own peril (on backs)....Mine was quite fiesty and didnt like the baby one i bought, used to push her out of the way in garden and when I took it to vets for medicine it wouldnt open its mouth for anyone else but me, jaws stayed clamped shut....
    I love reptiles and amphibians so I cant get how nobody else likes them, theyre not cold to hold at all like folk say so....
    Did you also know now they are banned as being pets unless you have a special licence to have one too? This came about as in 70's, 80's they were mass transported in planes just piled on top of each other, many died....
    Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Lupin

Well i live in lake district but dont see as much wildlife as would like to, never badgers or foxes n such.....See deer when i go up to see family in inverness.....I agree that if i owned fish in an outdoor pond would probably not love herons as much but they are different animals...
    I love most animals me expcept slugs n snails - one was climbing up outisde of my bedroom window last night, little git!!!

Elainex
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Heron.........Mmmmmmmmm

Taste just like chicken.........

Or so I'm told.....

Stick their beak up their bum........

Built in skewer....

Rob x (tongue firmly in cheek)
    Roba045.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    We used to have Mr. Heron as a next door neighbour before we moved this year.

What always fascinated me is that they are so light (in weight, I mean), he always took off like a big bundle of feathers and nothing else. Beautiful birds to watch.

Annie
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Oi

Behave you or else the youll get visitied by the evil heron ghost who will carry you off to its nest like a crappy old Lost in Time episode!!

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Im curious now as to how big their nest is?? Bet the babies look right straggly little things when theyre only a few days old too...

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Stop it now!!! Chicken, crocodile...Youre not in the jungle...

Poor bloody herons...

Elainex
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    I've always likened it to Swan.........

Rob x
    Roba045.gif