OA and RA?

laura
laura Member Posts: 12
Hi

I have been diagnosed definitely with OA but also on a hand xray it showed bone erosions which my GP says is more suggestive of RA.
I had loads of blood tests which came back ok apart from ANA which was positive. RF was negative
I am being referred to a rheumy but my question is can you have both OA and RA, and can any other arthritic condidtion cause bone erosions?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Having been a member on here for a few months now, I understand that it is possible to have both OA and RA, despite their differing causes. Arthritis presents in so many different ways, there is a form of sero-negative RA, i.e. it won't show on a blood test for a positive RF factor. You are being referred to a rheumatologist, so I hope they will be able to shed light on this for you. I wish you well. DD
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 2,779
    laura wrote:
    Hi

I have been diagnosed definitely with OA but also on a hand xray it showed bone erosions which my GP says is more suggestive of RA.
    I had loads of blood tests which came back ok apart from ANA which was positive. RF was negative
    I am being referred to a rheumy but my question is can you have both OA and RA, and can any other arthritic condidtion cause bone erosions?
    Hi Laura,
    Welcome. We have a lot of information here on the Helplines about bloodtests and the various forms of arthritis. If you send us a private message or and email [email protected] with your home address we will send you out a pack of info. Or pick up the phone and give us a ring on 0808 800 4050 - its free and confidential and sometmes its good to have a chat.
    DD is right you can have more than one tupe of arthritis and unfortunately if the joints are badly affected some erosion can occur. We have a very good leaflet about OA in hands and how to care for them.
    Hope this helps ?
    Penn
    Helplines Team
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    laura wrote:
    Hi

Hi Laura
    I know your posting was a while ago (have only just joined the forum), but to let you know that I was diagnosed with RA in my hands a few years ago (well controlled!),but have now recently been diagnosed with OA in my ankle.
    prefabkid47

Who's Online

Lilymary
Lilymary
Onlyme
Onlyme
+18 Guests