Running with OA in knees

Redhead59
Redhead59 Member Posts: 17
I'm a 51 year old female diagnosed with OA in both knees approximately 2 years ago after having suffered with the same in my hands for 5 to 6 years previously. I only have occasional flare-ups, mostly my own fault through laziness at not carrying out the strengthening excercises which I know do help! However, I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment - I'd really love to take part in the 5k Run for Life in May/June this year, but everything I consult re arthritic knees says that running isn't a good idea. I'd like to get back into regular strengthening excercises then a very gentle and slow walking/jogging programme to see how my knees would hold out but I'm not sure how sensible this would be. Am I being totally unrealistic or is this something I could aim for as I'm so motivated right now. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
~ No, I did not trip - the floor just looked like it really needed a hug :( ~

Comments

• Redhead59
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks tinkerbelle, we're planning a team from work and I really want to take part. I'm thinking I'll walk the course if I've got to, they'll just need to wait for me in the pub :grin:
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hey Red

Generally speaking it is not a good idea to do impact sport if you have painful knees. But you are the best judge of what you can manage and put up with. Good shock absorbing trainers can make a difference and so can the type of surface you run on. Like you said you could always take part and go to very gentle jog/speed walk and meet them in the pub after.

Either that or take up cycling which can also be fun and not put pressure on knees but still provide excellent exercise for the knees and hips.

I know its a dilemma but only you know what is really best for you.

Good luck

Simona
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Redhead :smile:

I do not think you are being totally unrealistic especially as you feel so motivated. Why not get a good pair of trainers as helplines have suggested and go for it. You say you have not been keeping up with your strengthening exercises, naughty girl - only joking, other things do get in the way of exercising but we can always find time to do the things that we really want to do, can't we? :wink::smile: See how it goes, take it gently and gradually work up. If you begin to be in pain afterwards for any longer than say, 30 minutes to one hour then you are overdoing it, that is what I think anyway and your body is telling you just that.

I had both my knees replaced in the last two years. I am 60 years old. I would never run though and never did any running before. I have always done strengthening exercises daily and ride my bicycle locally and now I love walking again as I have no pain in my knees anymore.

It is not suggested to do running or jogging but you will find out yourself, if it is a no, no for you or not. I hope all goes well for you.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Redhead59
    Thanks everyone for the advice and support, I plan to take things a wee bit at a time and see how it goes. Back onto the strengthening excercises first (which I know I should be doing as they work wonders!) then gradually increase my walking and see if I can manage a jog! My son's coming to the race and he'll walk the course with me if that's all I can manage - we might not finish till after dark but we'll get there eventually :grin:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    All you can do is do what you can do. Start gently and build. Listen to your body, and when it's telling you 'enough' stop and rest. I wish you well with your endeavours: I am very envious. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Redhead59
    Thanks so much DD - I'm ashamed to say I've been going through a wee bit of a 'why me?'/feeling sorry for myself spell right now (I guess we all have them) but even just thinking about taking part in this event has given me motivation and something to aim for. And it's got me thinking too, if we can run for cancer research then why not walk for arthritis research? Even folks with dodgy knees could manage that, and it would do us good into the bargain! :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Everyone has the 'Why mes' from time to time, it's a natural enough response. I think that AC do an 'Amble for Arthritis' and I wonder (occsaionally, in my dafter moments) about having a bash at that. I cannot amble far, or for long, but I could at least try! Having a goal does help, there is no doubt about that. I will continue to clatter about with my sticks, and do what I can (which isn't very much) but I try. And that is the important thing. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben