LIFE IS SH------T!!!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Temper can be useful but on this occasion a cool head is needed. Now the initial shock is dying down perhaps it's time to investigate the info you have and see if there is any mileage in it: any form of substantial redress may not be possible but you could alarm one or two with your new knowledge and set some hares running. Perhaps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Well I would not leave the property until I was certain of my rights. They seem to be hoping 2 months will not be long enough for you to sort anything out and will panic you into leaving.

In some cases a verbal agreement has some standing although they would deny it I suppose.

what sort of tenancy agreement do you have? some have more rights than others.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi I have just read that you don't have any contract/ agreement. That could work in your favour too. They have been happy to have you as a tenant for 14 years, happy for you to improve the property at your own cost so they cannot really just kick you out. You have not breached any part of a tenancy.You did not sign anything saying you would leave after 2 months notice did you? You have verbally been told you can live there forever.
    I would definately fight this,

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Wow thats a really good point,Elizabeth,its been hard having strangers turning up early morning,with clip boards and camera's,looking over my gate,but I have still not had anything in writing or otherwise,about dates or the reason I have to go,just been told verbally :?: Mirabella.
    I will have to go now as something cropped up,but I will be on Wed pm
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You have had nothing else in writing so why would this be? I hope you have made/are making notes about all of this, keeping some sort of record about what you have been told, by whom and when. He has been happy enough to accept your rent all these years, that does put him under some obligation to you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    Options
    I am sorry you are going through this and I know it must be such a worry but I do feel they are hoping you will just go quietly.You must feel like an animal in a cage with all these strangers nosing at your home. I must see if I can find something out, maybe a housing forum, you know the topics that crop up on these money sites are great fun to read but also sometimes contain useful advice.
    I do hope you are okay Mirabella.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mirabella
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,you sound a good trustworthy lady and I so appreciate your replies,so good to talk to someone outside the box(so to speak).So I feel I can tell you whole story from the beginning,names I will not mention as this forum is pretty wide spread!!
    Years ago I left very unhappy marriage,just packed my car,and my dog,and left a beautifull house.Bought a 14' caravan and lived in that in a field along with several other people in similar situatons.It was just the best time of my life,the summers were just the best the winters were so hard,but I managed.Found out that life really is what you make it.Realised I did'nt need all the stuff,that people want or think they need,simple is good.I had no running water or electric,now my bills are horrendace!
    Anyway,after time I started to look for a little job,found an advert in the local village for cleaner for a new nursey,so applied got it and started.After while,the cook that was then,left,and I was asked if I could fill in,I love cooking so was happy to do so.Loved it they were happy so was I.That summer was so hot,that one day went I went back to my caravan,my poor dog had tried to eat his way out through he door,he was so hot.I felt terrible,o then decided I had to find somewhere else to live.Mentioned it to people,and the cottage came up for rent.Seemed it belonged to owner of nursery,so of course I took it on.However it was in a bad state,but I took it on it was mine for life they said.
    I was more than happy,it was a dreamcome true.I met Keith he is muh youger than me and it's not a marriage type of relationship,he needed somewere to live and I needed some help,an old cottage with huge1/2 acre garden was a lot to do on my own.So he moved in too,with the approval of nursery owner.This cottage has always been mine,Keith has payed his way in different sorts,like buying coal,afew paving slabs,just bits of stuff.I have bought everything,all furniture,carpets that sort of stuff.
    Now it seems that that the people who own nursey have the tenancy to the cottage,so I actually sublet from them,so I am a third party in this!!
    I also now think that if I have to relocate to Manchester I will be out of job,as I started back to nursery his week.!!!! So it's much more complicated as is sounds!!!! Look forward to your reply,but I promise you I am not a nuisance type woman,will not be bugging you for anything.I am going now to walk my girls,but will be back on here tomorrow.Thanks so much anyway!
    Mirabella x
  • tkachev
    Options
    Mirabella I never think of you as a nuisance, in fact I was worried you may think I was pushing you in all this. It is easy for me to sit here and say don't move out but the law will be the law, except we don't know what the law is!

I am just so sad they have treated you so badly and it could be anyone in this position so I am interested to find out if you have any rights.

Nobody should be given 2 months to leave their home after 14 years!
    Will write more later but just need to catch up on lost sleep now,
    Take care
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Mirabella

Others on here have given you good advice, so I just wanted to offer my support. You have shown a lot of courage in the past, as you are doing now. You are being treated very badly by the owners of the cottage, and I do hope that things will work out for you eventually.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    Options
    mirabella wrote:
    Hi Elizabeth,you sound a good trustworthy lady and I so appreciate your replies,so good to talk to someone outside the box(so to speak).So I feel I can tell you whole story from the beginning,names I will not mention as this forum is pretty wide spread!!
    Years ago I left very unhappy marriage,just packed my car,and my dog,and left a beautifull house.Bought a 14' caravan and lived in that in a field along with several other people in similar situatons.It was just the best time of my life,the summers were just the best the winters were so hard,but I managed.Found out that life really is what you make it.Realised I did'nt need all the stuff,that people want or think they need,simple is good.I had no running water or electric,now my bills are horrendace!
    Anyway,after time I started to look for a little job,found an advert in the local village for cleaner for a new nursey,so applied got it and started.After while,the cook that was then,left,and I was asked if I could fill in,I love cooking so was happy to do so.Loved it they were happy so was I.That summer was so hot,that one day went I went back to my caravan,my poor dog had tried to eat his way out through he door,he was so hot.I felt terrible,o then decided I had to find somewhere else to live.Mentioned it to people,and the cottage came up for rent.Seemed it belonged to owner of nursery,so of course I took it on.However it was in a bad state,but I took it on it was mine for life they said.
    I was more than happy,it was a dreamcome true.I met Keith he is muh youger than me and it's not a marriage type of relationship,he needed somewere to live and I needed some help,an old cottage with huge1/2 acre garden was a lot to do on my own.So he moved in too,with the approval of nursery owner.This cottage has always been mine,Keith has payed his way in different sorts,like buying coal,afew paving slabs,just bits of stuff.I have bought everything,all furniture,carpets that sort of stuff.
    Now it seems that that the people who own nursey have the tenancy to the cottage,so I actually sublet from them,so I am a third party in this!!
    I also now think that if I have to relocate to Manchester I will be out of job,as I started back to nursery his week.!!!! So it's much more complicated as is sounds!!!! Look forward to your reply,but I promise you I am not a nuisance type woman,will not be bugging you for anything.I am going now to walk my girls,but will be back on here tomorrow.Thanks so much anyway!
    Mirabella x

Hi Mirabella, I am having a good look round for you but your case is unusual.It is interesting that you do not have any written tenancy agreement, no condition inventory. I also wonder if they are allowed to sublet, if not they could be in trouble as this may be against any tenancy agreement they have signed in the past.(note you are not responsible as it was their agreement with somebody else)). They could be over charging you the rent they pay. Who knows?
    Finally they must put their two month leaving request in writing. How else can they prove you have been asked to leave? They sound like they are panicking. Ask for it in writing and the 2 month date should start from the date you receive the letter.
    One more question. Do you pay a low rent as compared to other, similar style property for rental in your area. If you are only paying a token rent they may have to wait until you find a similar priced property before kicking you out, and also the council might have to rehouse you if your income is too low to sustain a normal rent.Just because you are affording the rent now that does not mean you can afford market rent if your income is low.
    Right I will have to stop looking until Monday as children all start coming home from 2 on Friday.
    Take care and have a good weekend
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    I have had another look for you. The general idea I get is that the law is more on the tenants side. A landlord has to have a very good reason to evict you and has to show this in court.They cannot harrass you or enter the property without your permission and there are strong legal rules on this in your favour.
    If you could telephone Housing advice Shelter 0808 800 4444 they could give you advice and so would CAB. Your case is complicated. An agricultural tenant has very strong rights, even having to be rehoused by social housing only if a property is required to house an incoming worker. However you have not signed any agreement and are not an agricultural worker. In your favour is your length of tenancy, your good rental payment record, your disability and your improvement and upkeep of the property which you did on the basis you were told the property was yours for life.If you have any witnesses to them telling you it was yours for life then all the better.
    They have to give you notice, presumably in writing, then if you don't leave they can take you to court where a judge will listen to both sides evidence. Going to court does not mean you are a bad person but somebody who has been told to leave a property they have cared for and maintained for many years on 2 months notice and you could not find another home in the unreasonable amount of time.
    It is because you have no signed agreement that I cannot be certain what your rights are but CAB or Shelter will be able to make things clearer.

Don't give up.
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mirabella
    Options
    Thanks Elizabeth for all the info,quite strange you have told me all that because it's all quiet here,not seen anyone for a few days,and have now since found out the rightfull tenant has had the tenancy for about 40yrs :!: Will keep you informed when or if I find out anymore.Mirabella
  • mirabella
    Options
    well seems the pressure is on,the guy who owns the cottage,phoned me Sunday,telling me he has been looking round for accomidation for me,found one I might be interested in miles away,only a back yard,can only take 1 dog :?: I asked him,do I shoot the other one :?: Seems he is desperate now for us to go :!: Mirabella
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Mirabella..

Just wanted to offer you my support and say i'm thinking of you..

I have just read your message saying he has found you alternative accomodation... I would still ring citizens advice and see where you stand you may be surprised and it may turn round in your favour..
    I really hope you get some gd luck soon..

Take care
    Tracy
    xxxxx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • hidehi
    hidehi Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Mirrabella

I'm sorry to hear your news of your house I really am. I also a person 'trying' to be a positive thinker, but its only after the event that I can see it, during times of trouble I can't see it. however, I would like to share something with you, we had sold our house and was about to move into another one on the Friday when we got a call from solicitors to say he had pulled out at the 11th hour, we had to move out of ours within the day, hot shotted it to an estate agents, rushed into moving into rented, this was all in one day, and on that same day my husbands mother died. Unbelievable, what a terrible time for us with 3 kiddies aswell, no where to live, and a bereavment too. later on, we settled into a rented house and bought the one we are in, so what turned out to be hurrendous, turned out well in the end as we got a better house on the same street.
    I do try now to think positive as my experience tells me something better will come out of it in the end.
    Both myself and my hubby have Fibromalgia and OA, strange how thats turned out an all, both of us! Obviously meant to be together lol.
    I do hope that you find somewhere nice and im sure it will be better in the end, keep positive
    love sue xxxxx