Shoes for lumpy toes and painful feet??

Options
meanyjarReA
meanyjarReA Member Posts: 39
edited 30. Jan 2011, 19:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am only 29 years of age so I would still like my footwear to look pretty and dainty.
However, my toes are curled up on my right foot and the underside of both feet are incredibly painful.
I have purchased the best pair of insoles in the whole world to take the impact away from my feet - http://www.sorbothane.co.uk/index.php/semelles-medical.html, I definitely recommend these!
But I need roomier shoes with comfy bottoms.
So, my question is - does anyone know of a shoe provider that has nice looking shoes that meet my requirements!??
Thanks!
Jean-Mary :smile:
Jean-Mary
www.meanyjar.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/meany_jar

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think it's compromise time, meanyjar, and I hate having to say that. Arthritis and elegance are mutually exclusive. My feet are exquisitely painful all the time (as are my ankles) they have also flattened considerably (which doesn't help) and thus spread, so for me it's Crocs. They are wonderfully absorbent, so some of the pain when walking is eased and they are wide enough for my flippers. I do have prettier shoes for going out so I sit and look at them from time to time, and reminisce. Insoles can and do help, but they tend to bulk up more elegant footwear, rendering them even more uncomfortable. You are far too young for Hotter and Fly-flot, methinks - yes, they are comfortable but hardly styled for the 'younger' person. I wish you well in your quest! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    Haha, thank you!!

I think you may be right...I was just hoping!!

I am going to give the 'heavenly soles' range from Next a go and go a size up to put my lovely insoles in. Then I also may try clarks. I absolutely cannot wear heels any more but I have, like you, kept one pair to look at and every now and then I put them on and remember instantly why I can't wear heels!
    Jean-Mary
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    What about Rockers?

Thank you!

I have googled Rockers and come up with nursing shoes? Os this correct? Don't suppose you have a link handy?

:smile:
    Jean-Mary
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I would reccommend shoes from c#syf##t , you can look on line to see if they are trendy enough for you to consider . It's easier for me , after 30 years of foot pain I want comfort over style every time ! Jillyb
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    Thank you for that.

Trouble is, I have extremely narrow feet and they are all wide fitting.

Think I am just wishful in my thinking....thing is - I cannot stand wearing trainers which I know would be more comfortable. Being a dainty lady I don't suit bulky footwear either. Going to have to bite the bullet one day!

Going to see how I get on with heavenly soles from Next in a bigger size so I can put my medical insoles in.

Roller skates could be an option....don't need to keep putting foot on the ground!!! Haha!!
    Jean-Mary
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi,

Somewhere on here there is a post or is it over on the young people's forum all about shoes..... if you use the search bit you might find it... its pages back but it is here.

A lot of people were recommending mtb's and hotlers i think? Its a problem with narrow feet, mine are till they swell up and they do swell a lot so i have to take that into account but now a days i force them to keep shape in steel toed docs or trainers... not pretty though but ok for me :wink:

I hope you can find it but the word shoes in the search engine bit of the site might bring that post up and it was very good suggestions in it. nice to met you cus I haven''t bumped into you before. Cris x
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    Thank you!

I am a newbie today! Only just found this forum!

:smile:
    Jean-Mary
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jean-Mary,

in that case welcome :grin: and its a good place. Nice to meet you again, Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi jean-mary
    Welcome to the forum.
    I got RA at 25 and at that time i also wanted trendy shoes and at 47 still do.
    It is difficult with arthur in tow as he made my feet very wide, short and toes deformed.
    I had to use Co***fee** for this reason which wasn't great but light and comfy.
    I Tried hot**r shoes , they have some lovely styles in there but were not wide enough for me. They might be ok for you as they had slim shoes in their catalogue.
    they do have a website.
    Hope you find some from somewhere
    juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Would suggest you look at hot**s too like Julie recommend - also Cl**ks do width fittings for us adults too and you could take your insoles with you to try them out?

Good luck

Toni xx

Meany have bumped up one old thread it's on young person's forum if you want to take a look?
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    Options
    this has been interesting for me, I have some medical insoles on order for me after seeing the podiatry man. I can never find comfy shoes but will definately look at some of the recommended brands. I am 34 and so also really want fashinable ones too! love the summer when I can wear flip flops although physio says they are no good as will give me no suppport - boo x
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    Flip flops are perhaps the worst thing for feet, arthur or no arthur!

But they are lovely!

I am going to have to buy a whole new set of (sensible) footwear this year and as I have said before, hoping the Next heavenly soles range comes up trumps! Also hoping the insoles are not sweaty!!!!
    Jean-Mary
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Would suggest you look at hot**s too like Julie recommend - also Cl**ks do width fittings for us adults too and you could take your insoles with you to try them out?

Good luck

Toni xx

Meany have bumped up one old thread it's on young person's forum if you want to take a look?

Thank you for this!!
    Jean-Mary
  • spacey
    Options
    the heavenly sole range look really nice so I will be interested to know how comfy they actually are - I plan to tell hubby tonight that physio says I need all new shoes with better support and which will fit new insoles - wonder if I will get away with this?
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    I will let you know, I have a pair arriving tomorrow morning!!

That is what I have been saying to my boyfriend - that I need all new shoes for the comfort of my feet....which is true but I like feeling free to do it!! ;-)
    Jean-Mary
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi meany, Hope your shoe search is going well.... I also have the same problem as in the narrow and small feet. I'm a size 5, but have recently discovered sketchers trainers, They're great and have many girlie styles. I like to wear nice shoes but dont think Mr Choo has made anything in his range for painful feet.... Maybe i should email him?? lol

I'm 40 yrs young (but in my mind I'm still about 11) but I want to look nice and feel nice, it's so important when you feel unwell alot, i find it cheers me up some.

Take care
    xx
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I am the same as you Mary. But even finding trainers is a problem. My feet are wide and getting wider and all trainers in the styles I like are just too small. Hotters are still not fashionable enough in my opinion.If you find anything decent let us know,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    www.fitflops.com are being recommended on facebook by fellow arthritis sufferers. Haven't tried them myself,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • moodyblue
    moodyblue Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi,
    I was going to suggest F#t Fl#ps too.
    My first success shoewise was the E##o brand and they were superb for my chronically painful feet. And with room for insoles, as you can take the original insoles out and replace them with your own.

But my feet got worse and I seemed to have no cushioning of my own. It was just like walking on my foot bones.

Then I discovered F#t Fl#ps and have never looked back since. I am afraid they are my new vice. There are some nice sandals, but mostly I wear the boots. Without my insoles.

Heavenly souls are new to me, so I will have to check those out for the spring.

I think that if you can please your feet, your whole life brightens a little bit.
  • jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    Options
    This post made me :smile:
    Especially DD's reference to crocs!!
    I have them in all shades, unfortunately my black ones that are styled like clogs developed a hole!!! :eek:
    I, in my wisdom decided to wear my lilac ones as I thought they complimented my uniform beautifully!!!
    :???: :eek: :shock: :lol: was the response!!!
    I do buy trainers but get my daughter to wear them around the house making them more supple for me to get on.
    Jacqui x
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • meanyjarReA
    Options
    Ok, so my heavenly soles arrived today!!

They are beautiful and dainty and the cushioning inside is super brilliant!! :grin:

As Next do half sizes I only had to go up half a size so I can put my medical insoles in.

The result is, with these shoes - http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/shoesandboots/59/2 - a massive difference! I am really pleased with them! The bottom of my feet don't feel so hard and I feel like I could actually walk a bit without them hurting me too much!

But remember, my feet are no longer swollen, they are just very painful on the bottom - a bit like walking on smashed-up-with-a-hammer feet, my toes are curled up a bit on my right foot and they are very narrow. For swollen feet or spreading-quite-badly toes, these would not suit.

The next shoes I am going to purchase will be the toning trainers fron Next, http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/shoesandboots/50/2
    these are a big step for me (no pun intended!) as I really hate wearning trainers, I don't like how frumpy I feel in them, no offence to anyone else. If these make even more of a difference I may wear them in the mornings when doing the school run as that is when my feet are the most excruciating and I can hardly walk.

Thank you for all your input everyone! :grin::smile:
    Jean-Mary
  • spacey
    Options
    I live in my mummy uniform of boots and jeans so the nice heavenly soles shoes will have to wait until spring! I have just ordered a pair of boots from Rockport which have very fancy hi tec insoles and a raised supportive 'cookie' in the arch. Will report back when the arrive. I have wonky feet, a wonky toe which always rubs what ever shoes I get and very painful balls of my feet so am very fussy - I have lots of shoes that i wear once and can never wear again as they are just too painful. From my shoe search over the last few days Amazon also have some very good offers on crocs at the moment.
  • RA2010
    RA2010 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Spacey - which Rockport's are they you've bought? I've been looking for some good, stylish and comfy boots on Amazon for ages!

Meany, those Next ranges look really good too! I recently bought a pair of Next Sole Revivors which have a wedge heel that is a couple of inches high, but it is rubber, and feels almost spongy as you walk (feels like you are bouncing, so takes away that impact on all foot joints as you walk!).

Had a prednisolone injection into my ankle today and so far really happy with that too! Not sure if the local anaesthetic just hasn't worn off yet, but feels so much better than it has for months (and the pred isn't even supposed to take affect for a few days if at all, so must be the local still just making it numb - hope it never wears off as it feels great!)
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I agree with the H=t===rs. I've just been lucky enough to get the ones I'd liked in the magazine at a sale price, in our little local shoeshop. They aren't the 'killer heel' type, but then I don't think I could ever wear them! Look around at small shops and be prepared to pay a bit more, I'm afraid! Love Sue
  • spacey
    Options
    my new rockport boots arrived today and I have them on now. They are nice and dainty but sturdy too. I have just finished an early shift at work so my feet are a bit battered but at the moment they feel really supported. Too cold to venture out again so I will wait until tomorow, they also have some lovely wedge shoes in the range so I may well be buying some more and there is a good discount on them on amazon so even more of an incentive!