Shingles

2»

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry to you have shingles Ron.

Hope you arent in pain for much longer.
    I know its painful cos I had it a couple of years ago, neck and head area.
    Those nerve endings know how to throw up some pain dont they?

Take some rest as you are always so very busy.

Kath x
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,534
    HI Kath, did it last long with you?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Ron, I am so, so sorry to read how bad it is. You poor thing. How utterly, utterly miserable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rondetto
    Thanks DD, never had anything like this before. I've learnt to live with RA and angina, but to be covered in blisters and in pain one minute then itching the next, darn awful.

Still, I suppose there's some worse off than me, shouldn't grumble really.

Ron
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    So what if there are some worse off than you? I think you have every reason to grumble, we each of us tolerate a deal of discomfort on a daily basis but to then have summat like this luzzed on top - it's outrageous. It's a rotting cherry on a festering cake. You grumble, Ron, it might help.
  • rondetto
    Aw bless you DD, you're lovely.
  • flutterbye
    flutterbye Member Posts: 22
    I too have had shingles and I can sympathise with you.
    Apart from using calamine lotion I also bathed in bicarbonate of soda in a tepid bath and it was great at taking the itch away for a while.
    That is an old cure for any itch and was passed on to me from my old grannie years ago. When my children had measles or chickenpox I used to bathe them in it and it definately helped them too.
    Definately worth a try. Use a couple of tablespoonfulls in tepid water and lie as long as you can then pat yourself dry with a soft towel.
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    that's a good idea flutter :)
    event.png
  • rondetto
    Thanks for the tip, worth a try.
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning Ron, I hope things have eased a little more overnight. DD
  • rondetto
    Hi DD and good morning to you, yes thanks I do feel a tad better today. I think the tablets are working. Just bought some more Savlon from the chemist.

Ron
    xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    flutterbye wrote:
    I too have had shingles and I can sympathise with you.
    Apart from using calamine lotion I also bathed in bicarbonate of soda in a tepid bath and it was great at taking the itch away for a while.
    That is an old cure for any itch and was passed on to me from my old grannie years ago. When my children had measles or chickenpox I used to bathe them in it and it definately helped them too.
    Definately worth a try. Use a couple of tablespoonfulls in tepid water and lie as long as you can then pat yourself dry with a soft towel.

I wonder if this would work with eczema as my son has it really bad on his legs?
    Sorry you are suffering so Ron. Did you come into contact with someone with chicken pox?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • rondetto
    Not that I'm aware of Elizabeth, my GP asked me If I had been worrying about anything recently. I had thinking back so it may have brought about these shingles.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    rondetto wrote:
    HI Kath, did it last long with you?

Hi Ron

Wondering how you are doing today.

Have to say I did get pain and discomfort in the area even after the blisters had gone, combing my hair in particular as I had them on my head.
    No good telling you I didnt, so I would say a few weeks but it wasn't too bad. My grand-daughter who was living with us at the time caught chicken-pox at school and cos of the weakened immune system with RA drugs, apparantly I picked it up from her.

You have loads of other stuff to put up with, not easy I know.

Take care, hope you see an improvement very soon.
    Kath xx
  • rondetto
    Thanks Kath, I wonder if it was the same with me, maybe it's the drugs i take that has weakened my immune system.
    It's still painful, but not quite so bad....or maybe I'm just getting used to it.
  • dreamdaisy
    Regarding bathing habits: my mum used to bathe me in salt water, she would measure it out (the basic mix is one teaspoon per pint of water) but my dad (being a mechanincal ginger beer) was able to scale this up to bath proportions. It stung like a good 'un initially but it did help the eczema to heal. (We 'discovered' this after going on holiday one year and I learned to swim in the sea - and my skin improved, but I think the healing properties of salt water are generally known.)

I am glad to hear that things are on the mend, Ron, albeit slowly. DD
  • rondetto
    You're right about salt water DD. Some years ago while abroad I had an accident with a deck chair, my hand was almost crushed, my first though was to dive into the sea. It stopped any swelling immediately, and the salt water cleansed the wound. It didn't even hurt after.
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    hi ron i know this might be a little late in the day so to speak now as your on the mind but, i winder if witch hazel would work, for the itches, dont know i know its good if you get bitten by midges, but i thought i would mention it.
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • rondetto
    Anything's worth a try Sylvia, I have got some with hazel in, when my wife had severe bruising when she broke her arm and shoulder. It helped with that too.
    I might put some on before I go to bed.

Ron
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    How are things now, Ron? Any better? DD
  • rondetto
    Just a little thanks DD. I've finished my tablets now, jusy putting Savlon on the rash. But i'm feeling better in myself now so must be on the mend.
    My Doctor did say that it may take a few weeks to clear up all together.

Ron
    xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I hope that you continue to recover well Rkid...
    Look after yourself
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • rondetto
    Thanks Tony.