Ron's got a new ankle - Part 2!!

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 20. Jul 2011, 11:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All
Am back in circulation!Really must thank you all again for the support,it was really appreciated.My OH Annette,of course,has posted that I'd had my operation and was thrilled with the response........... :grin:

Went the theatre at 14.30,but don't know what time I came out (I was asleep at the time!!),but arrived back at the ward about 20.00.
Really can't fault the hospital (The Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother,Margate,Kent),with the new up-to-date surgical and theatre facilities and wards.Nursing staff were great.

Got home about 7pm last night absolutely shattered,what with the pre-op stress and sleepless nights.Would have posted earlier today,but dozed much of the morning and afternoon (it takes a while to get the anaesthetic and other drugs out of the system).

Before I was released had to prove to physio that I could cope with crutches and get in and out of bed etc. (had to confess that I had cheated and had been practising at home beforehand - you'll do anything to get home ASAP !!!).

Came home with a back slab,It weighs so heavy,(I'm sure it's made out of shuttering ply and concrete)............... :roll:

Have been given paracetamol for general pain relief and codeine if pain gets bad (fortunately have only had to take paracetamol).Also,at my request,given Enoxaparin for DVT.Have to inject myself!!

Getting back into some sort of regime,do like order in my life!!

Will be back

Regards
Ron
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Ron
    Its lovely to have you back with us, and we will miss Annette tho she could always stay with us if she wants to.
    I wish you well with your recovery and you are so right getting back into a routine, its in the paper today...people that get back to doing what they usually do after an op, recover quicker.....within reason that is
    You take care and keep us updated.
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi there,

Good to know your back at home, isn't it lovelly getting back into your own bed. Yes, I know what you mean re. getting back into a routine. I don't survive well without my routines.

Hope pain is not to bad and keep on the recovery.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well, hello Ron! It's lovely to hear from you, I am glad that you are home and yes, keep us informed whenever you can about your progress. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Ron

So glad you have had the op and that your are back home! Really hope things continue to go well for you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • 80squeen
    80squeen Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi Ron great to hear from you! Glad to hear all has gone well and you are home. Take it easy and hopefully you'll keep on improving!
    Best wishes
    Josie
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi Ron

It's so good to hear that it all went smoothly and that you are safely back home :smile: Take care and rest up as early days and only do what you've been told, don't be in rush to do things too quickly. I wish you a smooth recovery and look forward to how you are progressing.

Lots of Hugs

Sue x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi ron so glad u are home nothing like your own bed is there will catch you around val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Ron :grin:

WELCOME back c009.gif

Good to see you and thanks from us too to Annette for her updates...we worry on here dont we?! :oops:

Sounds like you are doing really well hardly any pain releif....does that mean a cautious SUCCESS????

Take it steady for now

Love
    e025.gif
    Toni xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Good to have you back , Ron , and so pleased you're happy with the results , lots of rest and relaxation in order . Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Welcome back, Ron. I'm with Jillyb1 - lots of R&R to ensure the very best outcome.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    Good to hear you are back home. The back slab sounds rough for you but as you say needs must.

Take things easy and at least you are starting the recovery process.

Take care,
    I x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Glad it all went well and you are back home. Sorry I didn't see the updates from Annette haven't been on here for a while.Can you drive with the back slab?
    You may remember I said I was having pain with my ankle.
    I saw my consultant last Friday the good news is the ankle pain is not the joint (thank god) he says that looks good no signs of loosening etc. He reckons the pain is coming from the joint under my ankle joint if that makes sense. If I want I can go in and he will inject it under a general while xray machine on it!! I said I'd let him know lol!!#Take care,
    Anita
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Glad to hear your home wishing you well

Theresa
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Ron
    Im just popping in to see how you are doing, hope the pain isn't to bad,
    You take care.
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Ron,

Glad it all went well and you are back home. Sorry I didn't see the updates from Annette haven't been on here for a while.Can you drive with the back slab?
    You may remember I said I was having pain with my ankle.
    I saw my consultant last Friday the good news is the ankle pain is not the joint (thank god) he says that looks good no signs of loosening etc. He reckons the pain is coming from the joint under my ankle joint if that makes sense. If I want I can go in and he will inject it under a general while xray machine on it!! I said I'd let him know lol!!#Take care,
    Anita

Hi Anita

Really pleased to hear from you again.Have been wondering about your ankle pain and hoping it wasn't your joint,so glad it wasn't.......... :grin:
    Had debated with myself whether to go for fusion or replacement,your own experience had played some part in my final decision.
    Unfortunately the back slab is sooooooo heavy can't walk with it let alone drive (anyway can't weight bear for at least 2 weeks and have to move around with crutches)!.................. :sad:
    Please let me know on your decision about your ankle,keep in touch and take care.

Ron xx
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Hi All
    Just a quick update.Swelling is subsiding since can see gap between leg and back slab!Pain is well controlled though did have codeine this morning,but back on paracetamol.
    Had planned to catch up with back log of DVD's,but 'phone calls and visitors take priority!!!
    Hope everyone is ok and if I miss anyone please book me in for pocket duty you have carte blanche (just allow room for the crutches)
    Thanks again for your support.
    Ron
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Ron

Sorry I am late In welcoming you back. It is nice to know that you are home and coping quite well. Good that the swelling is going down too.

Wishing you a super speedy recovery
    Juliepf x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Ron,

Nice to see you home again and glad its gone well.

Oh the back slabs are so horrible but they do allow the swelling and a real cast wont so they are necessary..... but the real ones are lighter for some reason and i always think more comfortable :wink:

You rest it up and hopefully the swelling will go down and you will be back on your feet really quickly. Cris x
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Hi all
    It's now nearly 6 weeks since my op and have been lightly weight bearing (on crutches) for the last 3 weeks,the only pain being that the edge of the plaster cast digs into the top of my toes!!................... :x
    Have appointment next Tuesday (12th July) with the surgeon/consultant.He will decide whether I will retain the cast or have it removed and replaced with a 'brace' (whatever that will be?),really hope it will be the latter.
    Wish me luck (pocket duty if possible,please!!),will post the outcome.
    Ron

ps.went out for our regular pub lunch with some friends (first opportunity for weeks!).She had a knee replacement 3 days after I had my ankle replaced.
    After just 5 weeks she is walking far better than she has done for years,she is 82 years old,and is an inspiration to anyone facing this operation!!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,939
    Options
    Hi Ron.
    good luck for tuesday.i will be there for you.
    let us know how things go. what time do you have to be there.
    take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    will be in your pocket tue along with hamper you are doing so well keep it up val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Great news, Ron. Hope it goes well for you on Tuesday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Ron.
    good luck for tuesday.i will be there for you.
    let us know how things go. what time do you have to be there.
    take care.
    joan xx

Hi Joan
    Sorry,appointment is at 16.50 a bit late in the day, guess the surgeon is a busy person!
    Ron xx
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Ron,
    How did it go Tues, are you up and running now?
    Sorry if you have already posted the anwser and I missed it, I've been on holiday.
    Anita.
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Ron,
    How did it go Tues, are you up and running now?
    Sorry if you have already posted the anwser and I missed it, I've been on holiday.
    Anita.

Hi Anita
    Great to hear from you again.Hope you enjoyed your holiday and come back refreshed.How are things for you now?
    Had posted on the forum (Ron's got a new ankle - Part 3).Had the cast removed last Tuesday.Had bit of a wobbly the next day,but progressing now and walking with more confidence and little pain,albeit with crutches.
    Increasing the weight bearing little by little and ankle movement,sensible lad!
    Regards
    Ron xx