Pain meds and UK legal Cannabis extracts

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 21. Sep 2011, 23:43 in Community Chit-chat archive
This is not meant to be inflammatory but a serious question to the mod’s and posters on here, when I posted a while back on Val’s pain meds thread I had my post removed due to Cannabis being illegal for pain control at the time, now talk about me being some sort of a physic (see my sun spot post) but active extracts of this natural herb have now been licensed under the trade name Savitex here for medical use for MS suffers and I would like very much to discuss this issue seeming it’s now legally allowed here and more importantly it’s is also used by most western European countries for chronic pain control as well as the pain associated with OA and RA.
So what’s the lay of the land here can we/I but a toe in the water and talk about a now UK legal pain medication and it’s effects or is it still banned from this forum?. I am sure in the coming months the medical use of this product will become more and more widespread and I am sure regarded as normal in time.

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mell
    I think I am right in saying that this mixture is a really watered down version, and doesn't have the same effect, this came from a chemist friend.
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    no idea pal but will watch with interest it is to be hoped they find better pain meds for us cn not take mine before work as mess with my head something that helps but leaves my mind intact would be fab (well as much as ever)
    val
  • mellman01
    Options
    Well it's odd as I've been looking at the info on their web site and it states Delta 9 THC as an active ingredient that's the one that makes you feel high, some users of Sativex say it gets you like that the first few times so it obviously contains some "active ingrediants", after all the body contains different Cannaboid receptors so there's a chance they can get cross contaminated by other Cannaboids thus effecting you at a conscious level, anyway it like any other drug it builds up in your body so at first you get an effect that you notice at then over time it goes although it still works on you for what you intended it for.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Whenever I used the stuff for medicinal purposes (obviously it wasn't here in England because it's illegal and that would have been ever so naughty :roll: :shock: so obviously it was only whenever I was in Amsterdam :???: ) I wasn't taking it to get high as such. You can control the amount that you have. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. Keep us up to speed Mell. Good lad.

My Uncle has MS, he's used it medically (obviously in Amsterdam :roll:) in the past & says he really does get relief from it. Hope that he can soon get it legally over here then. I'll be talking to him soon.
    ( edited as does not comply with arthritis care terms and conditions).

Just say no kids :shock:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I think we should be able to talk about cannabis use for pain relief on here.I am always offered the stuff-it will help you I'm told- as a mum I say no, its not a good thing to have in your system with regular blood tests, however I do wonder if it would help. Obviously I,m not given the chance to find out.
    I know/seen what it does to some people so even then I would think twice. However if it helped with the pain and had no obvious negative effects I would consider it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mellman01
    Options
    In time more of it will be used I don't think it will be loke Holland well not for a long time were so backwards when it comes to this herb, oh oddly the Dutch have been doing testing on the bodies pain paths and they have found out Paracetamol latches onto some of the bodies natural Cannaboid receptors in the brain so there's a link there, the down side is Paracetamol does damage the liver over long term use or worse, the other stuff doesn't and there is no known toxic level which again is strange but true.
  • mellman01
    Options
    I'm not going to say much as I will get had by the mod's but what I will say is that it is a well known fact that this drug is not leathal to the human body if over comsumed unlike other common pain meds were givien Paracetamol for one, there has never ever been one case of an overdose and that is a fact, the amount you would need is so large you'd never manage to digest it, it's toxisity level has been calculated at a 40,000 times that of a normal dose, or to sum up the size of the amount needed it would have to be around 1500 lbs it total weight, and this needs to be ingested within 15 minutes or so to cause fatal toxicity,this is a reliable figure.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    But the kids should still just say no :grin:

Using it as a recreational thing is up to the individual and I'm not condoning it for such use. I'm just saying that from experience it works for me as a medicine far better than any of the dozens of toxic tablets that my GP's have been more than happy to dose out.
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    There is so much i would like to say, but i know i will probably get my **** whooped lol..

As a mom i would advise kids to say No it is illegal
    As a mom i wouldn't want my kids to see written down or condone that cannabis is a good thing,
    As a mom though i can say i am a good mom and not all that smoke cannabis are addicts, druggies or bad people.. some do it for medical purposes only and find it beneficial..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    I had a friend who had a sister who used c for medical reasons (had ms).
    She lived in Holland so it was not so much of an issue. She said she could not have coped without. I just find it strange that an know plant can help people with pain relieve. It is fairly easy to grow..natural so why can this not be used??? I am sure i have read that it can caused personality problems in some people but that maybe more to do with the amount used???. If C had been found and not tabaco all those years ago it would be cigs that were illegal!!!!!! and we would all have our herbal pain relief!!!!! Or would we??? :smile::smile::smile::smile:
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I've only just realised that my first post was 'doctored', lol.... I can't even remember what I'd put.. I thought I'd been careful in what I'd written, obviously not eh?

Have to laugh, because at the minute I feel dopier on this pestered med than I ever did on the thing we area not allowed top mention.
    :roll: :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Yes, I paid her five quid, it's grumpier's turn next :shock: :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    Options
    This is an interesting debate.

Sativex is, in a way, a ‘watered down’ version – but in the sense that it is strictly controlled, in doses. This is unlike self-medicators who can use different varieties of the plant which provide different levels of pain relief and other side effects.

I, personally, do not condone it for recreational use in any way shape or form. I have seen the consequences first hand, and it has well and truly ruined more than one person’s life. There may have not been any DIRECT fatalaties from it – but take a look at drug-driving accidents for a start, and you’ll see why it needs to be controlled. (In the same sense, I see the alcohol-is-legal-and-causes-more-accidents-etc argument, but I think that is a separate issue altogether. I also see the some-prescribed-medications-shouldn’t-allow-drivers too but that is drifting off topic).

However, if the use of a plant can be extracted, controlled, and produced in a manner which does not produce the hallucagenic side effects, or indeed other side effects, to create a product which has been proven to be an effective muscle relaxant and beneficical to those who need it in a controlled dosage, then it should be a legitamate discussion. It took years for Sativex to be licensed over here. There is also currently a loophole in which GPs are allowed to prescribe it, but it can TECHNICALLY be counted as possession, because of the chemicals in Sativex, which is illegal. GPs are also prescribing it but then pharmacists are not willing or able to provide it for cost or moral issues.

As Sativex has only recently been licensed over here, perhaps the success of the extension for the consideration of it for arthritis and other chronic pain sufferers depends on how well it works for a larger group of MS patients than have been used in thus-far controlled studies. Like anything, it’ll take time, trial, and unfortunately error, but I don’t see why a discussion on the possibilities on the extension of the product as a prescribed medicine should not happen.

Essentially, all medicine derives from plants – either directly or, as in Sativex, with a combination of naturally occuring chemicals. Why this plant in particular should cause such a strong debate is very interesting to see.
  • dennyj
    dennyj Member Posts: 6
    Options
    just thought i would add to this post.been on web looking for natural pain relief loads of replies mostly said c..,i have never done illegal myself but did wonder if it helps so many people why isnt available for medicinal purposes.also we should be able to discuss it on here because were all here because arthriis and not joe public also young people probably know more about it than a lot of us we could also then discuss the pros and cons we all take persciption drugs which can have awful side effects denise x
  • lupin15
    Options
    If C had never been a recreational drug and just found, do you think they would be using it more wide spread?????? Interesting thought!!!!
  • mellman01
    Options
    Del your a bloody gem you are, thanks for your support in these times of crass Ignorance and prejudice.
    Sometimes the law is a total **** and has no sound logical base to stand on, but instead is founded on ignorance and hatred rather than the simple truth.
  • lupin15
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    Interestingly there is a bill coming up in the US Senate today that proposes the ending of prohibition on cannabis and instead making it legal (Where States approve) and taxing it as they do other products. This would deprive the drug lords, reduce crime and generate funds for the government.

No a new idea really. A bit like ladies of the night. In Germany is allowed and they have a licence, regular med check ups and pay tax. Makes sense really and stops some of the problems. I wonder if UK with follow US and do the same???
  • ouchi
    ouchi Member Posts: 5
    Options
    good post watching and waiting with anticipation nice one 8)
  • mellman01
    Options
    Sadly anything forward looking gets stamped on here nothing is allowed to change fast if at all, the government haven't even got the guts to tell people when it has lost an argument and were forced to change UK law,let me explain.

This pans out kids so stick with it please!, now I’m into CB radio and for years every now and then I’d Google SSB UK CB for a laugh and always get the same old zero search back, the reason is your only allowed 40 FM channels here post legalisation so single side band was not allowed due to it being illegal since time began it’s a real no no is dear old SSB!.
    Anyway a year or so ago I did my annual search and got a surprise one came back! it said new UK legal SSB CB!, what the!!?..
    Now what happened was the EU had be legalising more and more channels and in the end forced us to follow suit, but as normal the UK didn’t go the whole hog did they bless them, they forced a compromised by saying EU citizens can come here with their SSB Am FM CB’s and use all of the channels and types of transmissions, but UK citizens can only use the AM (grudgingly) and the legal 40 FM modes, this makes no sense but is a typical cop out by the idiots in charge who are control freaks to a man.
    They also more importantly never publicly announced this change in law so none of its citizens knew of the change only shop owners did.
    Right lets get back on track, it’s kind of the same for medical cannabis laws here now,, there is a little known rule/law that’s been forced on us by Europe but never made formally public here only Customs and the Police were informed well them and nearly everyone else in the EU and the US, this law is as daft as the CB one, only a bit more stupid and insulting.
    The rule is called Article 75 of the Schengen Agreement, which states “persons may carry the narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances that are necessary for their medical treatment provided that, at any check, they produce a certificate issued or authenticated by a competent authority” i.e. a GP from that country!

This means if you’re an EU or citizen of another country that allows the use of said drug for medical use IN ANY FORM and not just the rip of crappy spray they have grudgingly allowed for MS sufferers here, you can legally bring it in to the UK role it and smoke it HERE LEGALLY and not get arrested or have it taken off you by anyone, but now get this, technically a UK citizens can’t even stand down wind of them as it’s a dangerous ILEGAL DRUG and you could well get busted for inhaling the smoke and or aiding and knowingly abetting illegal drug use, same for having them in your house they can’t be touched but you could get busted for allowing it to be consumed on your premises how crazy is that?..
    It’s also illegal for any UK citizen to go to Holland Spain Portugal Germany etc etc and see a GP get the same prescription and then come home, or so the home office now say although many ill people have already done this but so far not one has been stopped or arrested, some are very ill and say it’s the only thing that really helps their pain but your Government will happily let them suffer although the law here now is a joke same as the CB law.
    In Time the UK will be no doubt be dragged screaming and kicking into line with the rest of the EU and the US, it wont like it one bit and I bet you a pound to a penny it wont tell you it’s had to comply it will only slowly leak out through time and we it’s citizens will be the last to know it’s happened so the sick will suffer as usual. It the faceless bearcats in Whitehall hates being forced or told to do anything it doesn’t like so says nothing to the very people who they claim to represent.
  • mellman01
    Options
    lupin15 wrote:
    delboy wrote:
    Interestingly there is a bill coming up in the US Senate today that proposes the ending of prohibition on cannabis and instead making it legal (Where States approve) and taxing it as they do other products. This would deprive the drug lords, reduce crime and generate funds for the government.

No a new idea really. A bit like ladies of the night. In Germany is allowed and they have a licence, regular med check ups and pay tax. Makes sense really and stops some of the problems. I wonder if UK with follow US and do the same???

The only thing we ever follow the US in doing is invading Arab countries and blowing it and the their people up.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,487
    Options
    [
    The only thing we ever follow the US in doing is invading Arab countries and blowing it and the their people up.[/quote]

And getting overweight eating macdonalds.....using forks only to eat with.....being in YEAR 1,2,3 ....school proms

much much more l bet

oh yes 'play dates'
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Mell...

I love your posts..
    So very knowledgable and interesting to read..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • valval
    Options
    interesting dell but i do not even know what it like to take have lived a sheltered life sell grip seal bags(druggie bags we call them) to a certain type of customer who has distinct smell about them lol
    val
  • valval
    Options
    well if my customers have arther it must work, not one of them is stiff. any thing but, there eyes all over the place val
    val
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have often thought of using waccy baccy for pain relief, what stops me is the illegality of it, also the side affects of smoking. But as my dr says, you don't HAVE to smoke it, just eat lots of cake!

I must admit the blocking of a serious topic on such a forum doesn't sit well with me. I do not expect to be cured in my lifetime, it would be good to think that others in decades to come have been helped by discussion now.

I've just collected a load of purple poppy seeds, now theres a subject for discussion/blocking!

It s a grin honest!

p.s. I like poppy flowers and the way they pop up despite what happens around them!