CONFLICTING OPINIONS

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 29. Jun 2011, 11:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I'm totally confused.....it must be about 5 to 6 weeks ago that my original GP diagnosed a sprain of the sacro illiac,was on diclofenic, and paracetamol....he said use codeine during this.

Ortho said thats your sacro illiac.....I'll write to your GP [new one} and ask for amitriptiline and a referral to a pain clinic

Gastro bloke said come of the codeine now...before you have this procedure....a double whammy!!!! :oops:

New GP when she saw me in real pain about 10 days ago, took me off the diclofenic and put me on naproxen???? One nsaid for another and did nothing to replace the codeine???? :sad:

I phoned her a few days later and got a different doc who said go back on the codeine and I'll prescribe senokot as well. "I havent got the letter from the ortho or your old notes but I'll prescribe amitriptilne for you"...I like him :lol: Until I got the amitriptiline and read it and discopvered you couldnt take it if you were taking tablets for epilepsy :sad:

Back to square one....nearly.....naproxen {instead of diclofenic} and codeine and i'm still in agony.....Can hardly walk even with a stick {which I rarely ever use} can only take 2 or 3 steps before being in pain. Hubby said try 2 sticks......Tried one hospital one and one folding one :lol: It did ease it a bit when walking....still not far but a bit further...
Help ....how do you carry things etc?????? I've used 2 before but that was when my ankle was smashed and they were 2 elbox crutches.....so being in plaster there was no pain and I hung things on the handles of the crutches.

Sorry for the vent but I dont know whether I'm coming or going :???: I'll be surprised if you havent fallen asleep by now reading this :lol:

Love
Hileena

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I can well understand your frustration, Hileena. Changing docs in the middle of all this probably didn't help - though I'm sure it will long term.

Being something of a cynical old cow, I tend to presume all docs know nothing about my past until I tell them so, whatever is prescribed, I remind them of the MTX, asthma etc etc. They can't really be expected to remember all details of all patients. I hope you can get it resolved soon.

No suggestions re walking with 2 hands full. It's why I always ditch the zimmer asap post op - no means of carrying my cuppa - and hang on to the furniture instead. Best of luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If the pain is that bad then dig out the crutches, they give much better support than sticks and as for carrying things if there is no way around matters then I use a rucksack. For carrying things indoors such as a cuppa then it's one crutch (on the opposite to the worst side that day) and then I have one free hand. As for the meds conflict well, I take a load I am not supposed to because of the asthma etc, and so far so good, but I guess epilepsy meds are in a different league. I think yes, remind the doctor every time that you are on such meds and ask them to check there is no conflict: I think meds leaflets are way to general in what they cover/suggest. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Thanks for your answers.
    Normally any new doc/dentist/anyone medical I always mention the epilepsy......forget it the rest of the time ...except taking the meds but i was in such pain this time it didnt occur to me. I'll remember in future.
    You were saying about ditching the zimmer post op......did you not get a trolly??? I found that great for making tea/coffee and even a sandwich and bringing it back in.
    DD
    I have no crutches to dig out :sad: they went back to the hospital when I was finished with them....dont know anyone whop has any that I could borrow except one very very overweight girl {I'm no skinny :lol: } but the arms are so stretched I doubt that I could use them.
    Yes Epilipsy is serious if tbalets are contraindicated.....I might nonly have one seizure but I would lose my licence, or if I was driving could kill myself or someone else.I did ring the doc to check when I saw this....thoughtit might just apply to different meds but no it lessens the effect of mine apparently.
    Two minds with a single thought or is it fools seldom differ :lol::lol::lol:
    What I was doing before I checked the computer was looking out a rucksack...have plenty of them because for years I've used them because of the scoliosis.
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Oh Hileena :sad:

you poor poor thing :sad:

l have a big bag which goes right over one shoulder which l fill up with downstairs stuff when l am up and upstairs stuff when l am down....

do hope it helps a little to use the two sticks. :sad: :sad:

love

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Re mentioning the meds etc - this was another instance of 'do as I say, not as I do'. Last op I forgot to tell the anaesthetist my mouth doesn't open much. Scared the living daylights out of him.

Trolley wouldn't really do me post op as I have to lean heavily on the zimmer at first.

You're going to carry your cuppa in the rucksack?????
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Still havent sorted out the rucksack yet but inted to just couldnt face the stairs again.
    Rang Kris {physio} about crutches but hes not in today.
    Rang OT although I know its not her thing....optimistic :lol: . :oops:
    Nope ...she cant help so I rang physio again and got someone else who said if I could pop up this afternoon she would sort me out...might have to wait for about 10 mins {thats nothing :eek: } so Peter is taking me up on his way to work.
    Sticky.....do as I say not as I do.......thats me....I'm the one that would tell people to pace themselves but I'm the worse person at doing that :lol:
    Tea in the rucksack.....would be worth seeeing :lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Hileena,
    I am sorry that you are still being confused by all the different meds being offered. I would be tempted to go to a friendly pharmacist and see what they say. Mind you things could even get murkier!!! :sad:

I hope you get sorted at the physio’s and make sure your rucksack has a good buckle fastening as it is easy to lose things or have things lifted if you’re not careful.

Lv, Ix
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    I've been out tonight at the metro center on the mobility scooter....I'm stiff because i didnt get off much.....I got the crutches earlier but have nowhere to put them on the scooter.....so used 2 folding sticks and I couldnt be bothered getting elastic bands off and opening them all the time so I stayed on the scooter more than normal...
    Peter dropped me there while he went and did some surveys..........but I think the crutches are going to help a lot more than 2 odd sticks that I probably wouldnt take outside :oops:
    Got a bag to carry around the house.....over neck and shoulder.....got a rucksack to use outside.
    It was easier to get the crutches than I thought it would be....just asked physio and they said come up in the afternoon and they would sort them out for me :grin:
    Love
    Hileena
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Glad you got crutches sorted..they have been a god send to me..
    Backpack too, what a great idea...
    Your on a good roll at the moment hillena..Lets hope it stays that way. :smile:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Tracy,
    Hope you are right :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Remember the crutches are there for balance and support, they do not have to be gripped for dear life or leaned on with all your body weight. Take smaller strides than you usually would and try to use them alternately, that way you transfer your body weight more naturally from side-to-side than when you lump them forward then step. Good luck. hileena! DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Glad after reading all your posts that you are now sorted out with accessories to help you. I was going to suggest a camelpak (what oh uses while out mountain biking, for your coffee) :lol: may have been less messy than cup in a ruc sac :lol:
    Hope your new crutches help and that you are comfortable with them
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks againg for your replies......I'm managing the coffee now with one crutch..... :grin: and a hubby if he happens to be about but I'm trying to be as independant as poss. although if he sees me doing something he shouts at me....What are you doling????? Ask me to do it???? but I dont know how long that would last although he is very supportive.
    DD
    I expected replies from you ...thanks.....you're the expert with crutches.
    I was / am using the crutches the same as I would a stick.....although I'm using two the are both going out at the same time as the bad hip.......that not right?????....2 crutches and one leg going out at the one time :???:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I know I am fortunate in that my hips are not affected as yet but I remember my physios after my first synovectomy saying that the best support is gained (for anyone) if they were used alternately so basically I am now quadropedal. :smile: The pattern of movement is right leg and left crutch forward, then left leg and right crutch forward. Your body weight is smoothly transferred from one side to the other in that way, you avoid any jarring through the arms, shoulders and neck, and the strain on the joints is eased. Do not take too big a stride each time, that puts too much strain on everything. It's a rare old kerfuffle at first but once you are used to it it does make life easier. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    As you say it is a kerfuffle at first although hope I dont have to use them too long.
    I've tried using them alternately and also both together at the same time as the sore hip.....find little difference in pain althought I'm keeping trying both.
    I'm also trying to be aware of not gripping them too hard and leaning on thenm too much......Oh yes and the small steps :lol:
    In a way its like learning to drive a car...I was in my late forties when I took lessons.....and i can remember thinking I would never get everything to go together....how can I change clutch and use the accelerator, use gears etc and I have to steer as well :lol::lol::lol:
    I'll eventually get the hang of it.
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Co-ordination is the key, no doubt about that! You managed to learn to drive, I am sure you will learn to 'drive' your crutches. Good luck old girl! (as we say in this household). DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Got an appointment with this new GP......the one that agreed that I shouldnt take codeine and changed the diflofenic to naproxen.
    I've got a double appointment with her tomorrow because she now has my notes from my other GP. It will be interesting to see what she thinks when she sees me on crutches :eek:
    I intend to stay on them if they are helping regardless of what she says.
    Must check tomorrow if she has got the letter from the ortho who asked her to refer me to a pain clinic.....think i better make a list....I dont usually for a GP appointment.
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Good luck old girl! (as we say in this household). DD

That's a rare old title for Mr DD. How does he like being called an old girl?

Get that list made out, Hileena. Then remember to take it with you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That is Mr DD's benediction to me, I say to him good luck old boy, to which he replies (invariably) 'Oi, less of the old.' Oh the hilarity that ensues. :roll:

Do a list hileena, it always helps to keep your thoughts in order and the conversation running the way YOU want - as long as you remember to take the list! Let us know how you get on, please. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD and Sticky
    I've got my list made out....its in my bag now although it may need to come out to have something added to it :lol: At least I'll remember it.
    Next door neighbour is taking me to the docs....Peter has to take his car in for service at the same time as appointment, I'm a bit iffy with the driving at the minute so I thought I'll use my mobility scooter.....I mentioned that in conversation to next door neighbour who promptly said David will take it....its forecast rain tomorrrow you cant go on your scooter if its raining.....no amount of arguing would change her mind so I thanked them.
    So 9am it is......will post later
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    RESULTS OF GP APPOINTMENT

Hi,
    Well not long back from the GP's.
    1) She {who said agreed with the gastro bod to come off codeine} has changed her mind and said go back on it along with senokot...She can see no other choice except tramadol and its just as constipating. So going back on that....as much as I need at the minute. {within reason}
    2) She wants me to go for an X Ray....I cant drive at the moment and the hospital is to far away to use the "paddymobile" :lol: Peter has his car in the garage and is waiting for it....about lunchtime before he'll be home.....but then he has to work so hopefully tomorrow I'll get there. If I can make out her writing its says x ray right hip, left hip and sacrum. I've then got to see her 10 days after the x ray.
    3) Monday I have got to pop in to the receptionist and collect a letter for Kris...the physio...I'm see him on Tuesday....She says give him the letter first....before he says or does anything...."he doesnt know it but we are hi-jacking his appointment ":lol::lol: She says that physios make the best diagnosis in a lot of cases.....so I dont know yet what she will say to him in her letter but thats about it for now I think. Have started on the codeine...as soon as I came back home from surgery.
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Right, so codeine it is. Re the 'drain blocking' effect has she mentioned or suggested docusate or movicol? I have docusate capsules, they are very easy to swallow and I find that if I have had to up the cocos taking just two of those, night and morning, really helps. (I have never found senna any good, love syrup of figs but that was an expensive habit!). My mum has movicol sachets, you mix then with a little water and have a lovely lemony fizzy drink as a result - she swears by them.

So, more Xrays - haven't we been there, done that? Let's hope these show, once and for all, exactly what is going on in there, yes? I hope you are able to get there tomorrow - and what lovely neighbours you have, they can be a blessing at times, can't they? I wish you well, rest up now. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hileena, I hope the X-rays go well and the codeine, combined with the drain unblockers, does the trick as far as possible. It's all glamour, isn't it?
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    No she didnt mention anything other than senokot......dont seem brilliant...for me anyway??
    I think my mam mentioned movicol one time but shes in Northern Ireland so not a lot of good but I will ask her.
    Yes been there done that before :grin: but not for this particular pain.
    To be perfectly honest the last doc diagnosed sprained sacro illiac that was almost 6 weeks ago....not sure how he can be so positive....not like a sprained ankle where you can see swelling etc but they still send you for an x ray {usually :roll} he just looked at me and diagnosed it :???:
    So this x ray sounds fairly thorough....both hips and sacro....the hips havent been x rayed for about 1 yr and the sacro...never to my knowledge.
    Oh yes....pain clinic.....she got the letter from the ortho asking would she refer me.....she said yes.....for the old pain {arthur} but for this one she didnt think they could help with so much going on at the minute but as soon as it was sorted yes she would refer me to get my meds sorted.
    I'll investigate....the "unblockers" :lol: thanks
    You're right about neighbours....I have got wonderful ones.
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Sorry...we must have posted at the same time :lol:
    Yes.....it really is all glamour :lol:
    Still it will be interesting to see what the x rays bring up :???:
    I can always cope with things better if I know what they are even if they are chronic.

Love
    Hileena