Rant please...A rotten appointment

Options
barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
edited 23. Jul 2011, 09:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sorry but I really need to rant, some of you may know I need both hips replacing, and was told possible surgery on my back.
I had a lovely last appointment with a nuero, but he has just retied, so today I had to go back for the results of my second back scan.
We waited 2half hours, the receptionist said we are running behind a little :shock: after 2 hours 45 mins they shout me, I found it hard to get out the seat, , I went in the room , to be asked what I was there for, I explained best I could, then she put the scan up took a quick look and said surgery is not an option, but injections might help, before I could answer she said I will write to your hip man.
God I am sat here fuming I was in 6 mins in all.
Sorry but I just needed to rant, I cannot believe the difference between consultants.....she sounded like a robot.
Take care everyone..
Love
Barbara

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Barbara! :shock:

you need to see your Gp asap or see the hip man too if needs be this was diabolical!!

No explanation as to why??

Unacceptable.

c060.gif You calm down - here's a cuppa for you

I hope you feel a good bit better once you have recovered from the shock.

Love and HUGs

Toni xx
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Options
    that disgraceful... keeping you waiting that long in a very uncomfortable situation, she shouldve been grovelling apologies for keeping you waiting for much to long.... sometimes when they do this we are just so glad to be seen we get in and out as quick as we can, and dont ask the questions we should... very clever these people! go to your Dr and tell him..

xx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hi Barbara.
    i have been wondering how you were getting on.i'm sorry i think some of the consultants and docs treat us as if we are on a conveyor belt and they want to get to the next one all the time.
    they have not had pain.
    you take care.((((((((barbara))))))))
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Toni Lisa and Joan
    Thanks for your post, I just think she was so far behind, its was approaching lunch...and she wanted to be somewhere else...my OH is fuming..he lost over 3 hours works for nothing really.
    I am so upset over this, its not on...
    Thanks for listening
    Love to you all..
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

Oh not good.... I think you do need to see the hip guy again as he might be able to explain it all a little better.

As for the jabs, flower they well might help. I have had a huge amount of them over the years and all have done something even if its so slight its not noticable for a while....

My Last lumber nerve block was like that. I didn't think it had worked but them through yes but I can do this..... so it did just it was so slow....

The neck ones as you know had little to no effect.... though I am begging her to try again just so something it being done.....

Its terrible when we put so much into seeing these people and they just see us as a scan/xray what ever. I sometimes fell like saying that line I am a human being.....

Leaving you a ((((( ))))) a hope and some calming buckets to help you see this idiot was just not a people person.... but hell they should be! Love and more tea Cris xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Cris
    Sorry you sneaked in there, she was awful, its takes alot to get me so worked up....you would think they were volunteers not well paid nhs staff
    Sorry Im off again...how are you doing Cris...I have been worried about you...I do hope you are getting there.
    And Thankyou and some slurps back....
    Love
    Barbara
  • skezier
    Options
    hi Barbara,

Guess she was the registrar? They are learning in so many ways... You must not let her get to you though flower cus she ain't bothered and you just hurt your self doing that..... Not so easy to follow through though is it?!

You need to see the gp, have you got one you can talk to? Maybe get a double appointment and try and get some real info on what the hell they are proposing to do for you..... Thats what I would do for sure... and have :wink:

I sometimes despair of the nhs..... used to work for them and patient care was very important... but... consultants sometimes 'rise above' being human.... shame you met one though...

Sorry i kicking abut the gastro's treatment here.... :lol: Like you i very rarely say anything but I did go off on one.... did the midline too and look where that got me :lol:

Haz sends his best slurp... and then.... thundering along with feet that can shake the ground comes Slurpy...... you been warned.... ((((( )_)))) and love Cris who you know isn't too good just now :wink: xxx
  • barbara12
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    hi Barbara,

Guess she was the registrar? They are learning in so many ways... You must not let her get to you though flower cus she ain't bothered and you just hurt your self doing that..... Not so easy to follow through though is it?!

You need to see the gp, have you got one you can talk to? Maybe get a double appointment and try and get some real info on what the hell they are proposing to do for you..... Thats what I would do for sure... and have :wink:

I sometimes despair of the nhs..... used to work for them and patient care was very important... but... consultants sometimes 'rise above' being human.... shame you met one though...

Sorry i kicking abut the gastro's treatment here.... :lol: Like you i very rarely say anything but I did go off on one.... did the midline too and look where that got me :lol:

Haz sends his best slurp... and then.... thundering along with feet that can shake the ground comes Slurpy...... you been warned.... ((((( )_)))) and love Cris who you know isn't too good just now :wink: xxx
    Cris I so wish I could help you for real...but you know I am always here for you.....pity we dont live nearer we could sought them out together :roll: thanks for the slups....just what I needed
    You take care my love
    Love
    Barbara
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    Hi Barbara, sorry to hear you had such an awful appointment, especially after waiting so long on the uncomfortable chairs they have. I know she was behind but there really isn't any excuse to treat people so rudely, I'm sure she wouldn't like it. Perhaps you should speak to PALS at the hospital, I know you can't change what happened but it might make you feel better if you tell them what happened. I hope when you speak to the hip man you have better treatment and he can explain things for you, good luck.

Sue x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hi Barbera..

It is so frustrating and uncomfortable waiting around for ages to be treated just like a number in and out.. It is disgusting the way some people are .. no empathy, understanding, support or considerations for others just in and out the door..
    Sorry you had a day like today..
    Hoping you have had a cuppa with your feet up and calmed down a bit now..
    You may need t speak to GP as others have suggested maybe they can be more helpful for you..
    Hope you got a wee smile on your face now luvie..(((((X)))))
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Barbara,
    I'm so sorry you had such a long wait and rubbish appointment :x I've had a similar experience with physio, huge wait and then told im flaring and theres not a lot they can do so go home and rest :evil i was not happy! and now insist that I get the last appointment if I can, I've found it a lot better because there's no one after you so you tend to get more time. I appreciate that if you're given an appt and can't change it that's that, but I always try now.
    I hope you're resting and I'm glad you told us, we can all sympathise as we've all been there. Love and hugs Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm sorry about this, Barbara. I guess we all get these appointments from time to time and it looks like today's had your name on it. I would get back to your GP to find out what the report says and, if you feel up to it, complain. I thought 1/2 hr was maximum waiting time without an explanation/apology. To then get whisked along a conveyer belt...!

I hope you've had a nice cuppa by now with whatever does it for you. (Biscuits, Barbara! Biscuits! What did you think I meant????)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    She cant terminate the appointment until you leave the room.

It's a partnership twixt you and the consultant/registrar and you
    are the senior partner.

Why did you not sit there and state your case and ask your
    questions and not leave until you were fully satisfied?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it awfull when they do this and it takes you by suprise so you do not even think to question them about it by time you got your head straight you can think of a dozen things you wish you had said. but it to late by then leaving soothing hugs and bottle of wine
    n025.gif
    to help you unwinde
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    So sorry you had to experience this. It sounds truly awful. 2 and 1/2 hours in those uncomfy hospital chairs is no joke. I think you are right in that she was running behind and trying to catch up.

However, you were still entitled to a proper consultation, it is not your fault they were behind. I would complain, or she will not learn.

Go chat to your gp and see what can be done. Really with your complicated situation, you need an experienced consultant to be looking at your scan, not a junior doc.

Sending you big hugs and a soothing glass of wine and box of choccies x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    So sorry that you had such a bad appointment Barbara. As the others have said it's really not acceptable. Don't know what else to say except that I am thinking of you.

Love and (((())))s

Tillyxxx
  • barbara12
    Options
    A big thankyou for listening Sue, Tracy, Poppy, SW, ichabod6, Val, Suzygirl, and Tillytop.
    thanks for all your hugs, chocs, and biscuits if there are any on offer :lol:
    now I have calmed down, I have decided to put in a complaint, its not something I have ever done, but the treatment was awful...ichabod6 you are right I should have stayed and said what I wanted to say, I had a list of questions would you believe...but after over 2and a half hours I was really shattered, and not thinking straight...
    I did have some say, but she just spoke over me, anyway like someone said we all seem to get these sought of appointments, but its not acceptable, there where others there that could barely stand or sit, so I hope my complaint will help others if not me.
    Love to all of you and thankyou again.
    Love
    Barbara
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Barbara, It is appalling the treatment you recieved can you ask for an appointment with another consultant. You have a right to be seen by someone understanding and we all too often get people with little or no preople skills which is not acceptable.

I hope you get on better with the Gp and get this sorted out.

I'll send you some nice choccy biscuits.
    (i have made sure Maddie hasn't liked them)
    Tracey
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Barbara

I have been awol today so have only just read about your horrenduous appointment. :evil I bet you were fuming and that is putting it politely. Unfortunately consultants do vary greatly and as you had a good appointment the time before you probably were not expecting this at all. What a nasty shock. Sometimes as soon as you have left the room you really feel like going back in there and voicing a few concerns, to say the least. What a wait too. :roll:

I hope that you do complain but do this by letter so that you receive a reply. Phoning is no good, it goes in one ear and out the other and messages do not get passed on. Strike whilst the iron is hot, too and put all the facts down clearly, minus too much waffle if you know what I mean. :wink: Otherwise the person reading it, could lose interest and not take it all in. Using bullet points is usually a good way to get the facts across.

I do wish you all the best with that, dear Barbara at least you will get the satisfaction of reporting her conduct. If you do not hear anything after a reasonable amount of time, I would advise you to re-send the letter with a covering letter, assuming that the original letter must have gone astray as you have heard nothing.

How dare that consultant treat our Barbara in this way.

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    I'll come with you next time, if you wish.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Barbara,
    I am sorry that the appointment was so bad. If they are so pushed then alternative arrangements should be made. It makes no sense for them or you.
    Good for you for taking it further, I’m sure your doctor won’t be pleased after all you have been through.
    Gentle hugs,
    Lv, Ix
  • skezier
    Options
    Just leaving a ((((( ))))) for the morning Barbara and a hope its a better day. xxx
  • jayneys
    jayneys Member Posts: 122
    Options
    So sorry your app was so bad the others have said it all .Its so so UPsetting you put all our trust in them ,you feel so let down.Im still up set about an app that i had over thee weeks ago ,i went to see my consultent and saw registrar hopeless.Do hope you feel better soon ALLthe best love jayne x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Sorry I missed this....I was at an appointment.....liver scan and chest x ray.
    That is dreadful.....especially after such a nice man you had last time....isnt it typical that they retire...when you find on you like....bit like a hairdressser or a lipstick coloiur :lol::lol::lol: Sorry I know its not funny.
    He sounds a bit like the back man I saw.....Shoes off, walk across the floor, sit there and he checked my reflexes and then said nothing i can do for you except an operation and no way is that advisable. I'm discharging you to a physio now. {That was it}....I toild my GP and he said they are experienced people and thats probably all he needed to do.
    So he was no help either.
    Sorry for hi jacking this....but is just to let you know that I know exactly how you feel......I'm so sorry it was so bad...I havent read through all the posts yet {I knew your history} but i'm sure i cant say anything that the others havent already said
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    Options
    A very big Thankyou to Tracy, Elna, Ichabod6, Ironic, Lynn, Cris, and Jayne
    I have calmed down now, but I will complain, like I say it will be the first time.
    What I didnt know is that she works along side my hip man.. :eek: so its a bit scary...
    Ichabob6 you can come with me next time....I think you live quite near.. :smile:
    Cris whatever where you doing up at that time...bless you I bet you are shattered today..
    Thankyou again everyone...you really are so kind
    Love to all of you.xxx
    Love
    Barbara