seeing surgeon today.

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 31. Jul 2011, 14:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am off to see my surgeon today about my ankle and my hip. Both will need operations eventually. I'm still not mentally ready for any more ops so will hold off as long as I can. I am hoping I don't get sent for more x-rays either as I hate all that waiting around.

I will try to remember to mention the foot is leaning to the left more and more and see if he has any advice. My GP was totally clueless when I mentioned it.

I would offer to let you come in my pockets but I badly need a shower, but have a furniture delivery due(I told them to be here by 10.30 or forget it)so I am having to wait.

Generally I have been better apart from the chest infections. The knees are back to normal with no pain and swelling. The hip is worse but still not as bad as the one I had replaced. Still got a bit off life in it yet.

Hope you are all well,
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good Morning Elizabeth

Hope everything goes well at your appointment today. Thinking of you.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I hope the appointment goes as you wish, tkachev. Might orthotics be able to help with the ankle? Best of luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hello Elizabeth

Good luck for your appointme ts today, tell you what I'll jumo in your handbag for pocket duties instead

Sorry bout spelling,hands are not good at the moment

Janie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good luck tkachev, I hope they are able to help you in some way. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Elizabeth

I so hope that the appointment goes as you would wish.

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    I really hope your appointment goes well for,and Im so glad to hear that you feel better in yourself.
    Please let us know how it goes
    Love
    Barbara
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,
    I'm just back from Mt Vernon physio, hope I'm not too late to wish you well and a productive, good appointment :grin:
    Love and hugs Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Just wishing you luck with todays appointment.

Thinking of you

Juliepf x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    Thinking of you today.....hope things go well

Love
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi have hopped in pocket have got peg 4 my nose so do not worry good luck val
    val
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Elizabeth,

I would have waited till you had your shower then popped in. Hoping that everything goes ok today for you. And I do hope your daughter is feeling better now. Let us know how it goes.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    The furniture company rang to say they had no hope of delivering the items before 10.30 so I was able to pop in the shower after all. I must have looked good :wink: as 2 peeps told me I was far too young to have had a hip op!

Well got sent straight to x-ray! but only had to wait 10 mins before called in. Then the x-ray showed left hip completely gone, the THR is looking good. I can have the left THR anytime I want (meaning from now). He said it is a 'simple op' and they'd like to get it out of the way because the foot also needs to be done and this will require 12 weeks non weight bearing. I'll have time to recover in between. Originally they had wanted to do the ankle first so it didn't hinder a THR recovery so I am well confused!

Oh dear I'm just not ready for another THR. I don't suppose I ever will be. I'm going to sit and think about it. It has really hit me now how close it all is.

Thanks SW I have an appointment with orthotics coming through the post.

Thanks for the good wishes. Sorry your fingers are bad Jane, that must make work nigh impossible. And Poppy fancy you being at MVTC too! The physio staff are great there. I was there at 11 ish until 12 ish.

Cheers for now...off to ponder!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Elizabeth

You have a lot to think about and as you say pondering for now will let you come to a decision in your own time.

Yes work is impossible, I am at the start of a flare so I had to ring in sick this week, I just hope the Cimzia is not failing already, but I'm hoping its just a blip!

Your handbag was very comfy! I did drop off in there

Janie
  • tkachev
    Options
    Jane I'm sorry to read that as I know how much you want to work. Hopefully it is a blip. My bag is a bit crummy I wouldn't want to sleep in there And Val didn't need that peg as I was nicely perfumed.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Well done you - what a day you've had.

If l were you l would have serious thinking to do, but l hope you 'go for it' and you know we will be with you all the way.

Love and hugs

Toni xx

PS you DO look FAR too young for any sort of replacement :wink:
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,930
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth.
    what ever you decied i'm sure we will all be with you and wish you the best.
    are you having a tripple fusion like i did mine was onn the front
    of my foot between my toes and ankle.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth
    I truly understand what you are saying...Im the worlds worst...havnt even had the first one done yet... :shock:
    At least you know what you are up against, I do wish you well with it all.
    You take care....
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Elizabeth

I am sorry to hear that you have lots of thinking to do. But surely the best thing for you would be to have it done as soon as poss. You are a lot more prepared this time, you know what to expect. And you do know that you can PM me any time if you want to off-load. I am here for you.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth, I know what you mean about not feeling ready for another tHR.....you sit and take your time and think about it.
    Love and hugs

Hileena
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

I know how hard it is to make these decisions, you should take your time and have a good think especially as you have been through it all before. I took four years to decide to have my hips replaced, I kept putting it off as I was too scared but I have finally decided to do it and I go into hospital next friday to have both my hips done. I am still very nervous but if I keep putting it off I will never get the chance to experience the benefits of having hips that are not painful and I am quite excited about the prospect of being able to move my legs as my hips have no movement in them at all now. My thoughts are with you and we are all here to support you whatever you decide to do.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    The first THR was fine but I'm still scared of going through it again. But last night my hip pain, well pain down the whole leg, kept waking me up. I think I will get to a point where I will have to have it done. The surgeon said don't suffer, come back to him anytime.
    I'm not as scared of the foot triple fusion but worried about the implications of 12 weeks non weight bearing with 3 youngish children. I can't see how I would cope. Joan it is the subtalar and 2 other joints! It is the area near my ankle bone that hurts the most.
    It is still early days so will continue to ponder.

Good luck Jean. It went well for me and my awful, cracking pain was erased. It is such a relief. (see I'm great at advising others but I'm no good at advising myself).

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    p.s. not meaning to belittle those of you who have had ankle/foot ops as I know all ops are worrying and painful. I don't really know about the foot op so ignorance is bliss!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're not belittling anyone tkachev, you never do. Of course it's a tough decision for you but sometimes there is a need to be 'selfish' and this could be just the time for you. Obviously having three children to take care of (and as I understand it they are not particularly 'easy' children, yes?) is a huge physical drain on you which surely only aggravates the hip etc. If you had the op in term-time then at least they would all be at school for a good six hours of the day for a good few weeks. You need to focus on the benefit to YOU, and, as a result of that, the benefits to your whole family. Your OH will have to pull his weight for a few months - diddums - but then you will be back, fitter, stronger, rested and with far less pain and thus able to resume your caring duties better.

I know, I know, it's all well and good for me to preach and moralise but I do think there are times when apparent selfishness actually isn't that at all. It's sound reason, pragmatic, practical and offers benefit to all, at the expense of at least a three month initial recovery then a little longer time spent gradually increasing what you can do. You did it before, I am sure you can do it again, but only you can make the call. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning elizabeth

Just popping in to see how you were. 3 young children to cope with, no wonder you are aprehensive about operations. (I am scared of ops full stop :lol: )
    I think dd had a good idea in that if you had it in term time (hopefully someone would take your children to and from school) then you could rest all or most of the day.

Good luck anyway in whatever you decide.....It is a tough one

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • tkachev
    Options
    You are right DD, they all have had issues with aspergers and stomach probs and one is on autistic spectrum so needs a lot of monitoring. I'm thinking winter is the best time for an op because the kids won't want to go out and about. Last time my op was the last 3 days of school in July-followed by six weeks hols. I had lots of respite for my son, begged and pleaded everyone and got everything I asked for. But my daughter was ill and had her problems still. She is over that now. My 2 older girls came to help when Iwas in hospital-no way could I rely on you-know-who.

I won't get any other help I'm afraid.....

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein