seeing surgeon today.

Options
2»

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You really do have some tough decisions to make, don't you? I'm with DD. Go for whatever is best for you because that, in the long run, will be what's best for everyone else. I've been thoroughly spoilt with my ops. A mother nearby when the kids were young, older, capable teenagers later and finally a retired husband. I hope it all goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I agree SW. I will do what suits me for a change. I think that will mean going for the THR when the pain is unbearable, or at last when getting about becomes impossible. Not quite at that stage yet. The older the children are the easier it will be, and the colder the weather the easier it will be as the children won't fuss as much and the tumble drier can be used!
    Did you see my thanks for orthontics info SW. I had no idea who they were until you mentioned it!
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I did,yes, Elizabeth. I've been in surgical shoes for years. They make them and new insoles for me and the caliper when I used one. Hope they'll be able to help you. I'm pretty sure they will.

(Good decision, I think.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    Options
    Been to see rheummy today and got another orthotic appointment. But passing their office I luckily managed to combine both requests into one.

I have been told my liver function results are up, thats a first, so had to have another blood test to double check. Plus i'm having a cholesterol test on 6 sept. I will have to fast 12 hours...is that just no food or can I have a drink? (I might need a drink with all these side effects creeping in)!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are allowed to sip water, I believe, but no tea or coffe or cooking sherry etc. Well, them's the rules at my surgery, it's worth checking with yours. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    As far as I know you can have clear drinks {think that was the term used}until a short time before the procedure......Those were my last fasting rules anyway. It seemed to mainly the mik that was the bother. I was told I could have black tea or black coffee but that might not apply so please dont take this as truth.....get it checked
    Love
    Hileena
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I am horribly late here..... as ever now a days :oops:

hope the pondering is going okish? For what its worth they coped with your last thr and they will have to with the next and the foot one as well.

i kinda get the hip would be best done first really as well...

Its not a good choice but you will do what is right for you cus this time you have to. Less pain is worth so much I think. I don't know cus they wont do mine now... though the hips may be shot but they have fused them selves to a degree so not as painful as they were.

If they could do a tnr or a tlr i would jump at them :wink:

For the time being just do a list one side why you should have it done and the other why you don't ant it done and see if that helps at all?

I so hope things will get easier for you and that the bloods will be better next time. ((((( ))))) and a black tea Cris xx

Hi Janie,

Hope your feeling a bit better and it is just a blip. hang in there. x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Sorry am only just catching this too!

OMG, you have had alot to think about and all of it a tad scary and big worry I am sure. Hope you have had a little time to get your thoughts straight and that when you need it you do get the help and support there so you can concentrate on YOU and your recovery for change.
    Hang in there lovey. ((( )))
    love
    Chris
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth

Just thought I would find out from you how your decision making is going. I know it must be very hard for you, but at the end of the day you have to do what is best for you.

I shall be thinking of you.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    still putting it off......

Good point Skezier about the hip. Mine did get stuck, they told me they had a big problem dislocating it for the op it was so stuck so maybe I shouldn't let this one get too bad.

Incidently it didn't hurt and I was totally unaware they had a problem until they told me at 6 weekcheck-up.

Thanks for the fasting advice. I will check with my surgery before hand to make sure I do things correctly. I am used to black tea, having given up walking to the fridge to get the milk out.

E xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

sorry to hear you now need two ops.

The surgeon may well find the op a simple one to perform, but as well we know it does take time to get over the op. However after the first fortnight the pain is so improved - you wonder why you waited. Don't leave it until you are SO desperate, because there is always a wait once you have decided to go ahead - and that time can be unbearable. The other thing that my friends kept saying to me when I was umming and ahhing is that things have improved since my first op and that will be true for you too.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.