TKR is on the horizon..

Options
dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
edited 30. Sep 2011, 11:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks.... sorry I've not been about much :oops: but hoping to be around more regularly. :wink:

a wee update:

I've recovered well from the surgery I had in May...finger joint replacement and ulna head resection. Free from pain in both 'areas' but still attending hand therapy to encourage TT ('tiny tim' joint replacement :wink: ) to gain as much flexion as possible. Slow going, but some improvement noted!

Started on Tocilizumab... biologic therapy in August. Results have been very encouraging :grin: . Had three infusions so far and my Inflammatory markers have come tumbling down.... and pain, swelling and stiffness reduced in many joints. No adverse side effects other than an increase in cholesterol level which is being dealt with by me being put on statins. :wink: My rheumm consultant stuck his neck out for me to get this drug...having already had three different anti tnfs... so it's thanks to him that I've been given this chance!

I now have a date for the first of the TKR(s) ... September 22nd! pre-op on the 9th.. so barring me not 'passing' the pre-op assessment or an emergency bumping me off the list, it looks like it's all systems go. :grin:

Hoping that you'll be in my pockets. :!: :grin:

Iris xxxx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Thank you for the up date and so, so, so,so pleased that things have started to go well for you. hell did you deserve some good luck with the meds and ops you have had.

Really glad that your rumo stuck his neck out for the Tocilizumab and even more glad its worked for you :grin:

You know few people have had as much as you and the fact you got through it all and stay up is a testament to just how amazing you are as a person..... inspirational doesn't cover it Iris cus you have been so brave and done it with a up beat heart.

Will be welded in your pocket till its time to shadow lurk.... fingers crossed that the pre-op will go ell BUT remember the white stuff that begins with a M cus thats hat you need this time.....

Will remind you :wink:

So good to have some good news and you are an incredibly brave person my friend. ((((((((((( ))))))))))) and some tea with side dish of dandelions and chick weed cus you still the guinea pig to me :lol: Love to the 2 boys as well.... xxxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Wouldn't miss this gig for the world, Dorcas. For what it's worth (not a lot) my all-too-vast experience of 2 TKRs and a revision is at your disposal. But your a true veteran so know all the ropes already. Go for it!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Dorcas

Lovely to hear from you and even better to hear that things are going so well for you I am really pleased :grin:

Count me in for pocket duties on the 9th and 22nd (but please remind us and I am not good at remembering :roll:)

Take care
    Love Juliepf x
  • dorcas
    Options
    Thank you Cris ,Sticky and JuliePF :grin::grin::grin:

Cris...
    I don't feel deserving of such fine praise... but thank you :!: you know surgery has always been a positive option for me, and my way of coping with it is to focus on the final outcome rather than the process. :wink:
    ...dandelions andchickweed? .. you are spoiling me my friend.!

Sticky...
    I would be grateful for your advice on this one!... I'm an 'old hand' (pardon the pun) at having upper limb and a little back surgery, but knees are new to me. :lol:

Julie...
    Good to see you too! and thank you for being there for me :wink: ....I've got my fingers crossed for you that your surgery goes ahead in Oct.....so I'll be able to return the pocket duties :!: .

thanks all!. :grin:

Iris xxx
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hey iris

That's great news.. There was an interesting/uplifting article on the news this week about tocilizumab working really well in children with JIA... It was also on the daily mail website..

I am sure a TKR will Be a walk in the park for you(oops sorry bout the pun) after all the complicated hand surgery you have had..

Best wishes

Marion x
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hi Marion :grin:

I missed that article on JIA and Tocilizumab, but will hunt for it through 'back issues' on the tinternet. :wink: thanks!

I've been very lucky getting the opportunity to try Tocilizumab as my rheummy said it's not recommended/ used in the treatment of PA. Works in a very different way to anti-tnfs as it targets 'b' cells rather than 'a' and something referred to as IL6. The consultant applied for funding and got agreement to a three month trial for me then a review to gauge effectiveness.
    It is working for me so I hope others with PA will be heartened by this info and ask about it too. :wink:
    Also... that the 'three strikes and your out' rule on accessing anti-tnf treatment can be circumvented with the willingness of the rheummys.... and the availability of funding.

Loved your Pun :lol::lol::lol:

hope you are doing ok?

Iris xxx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Iris so pleased you are geting less pain sounds as if youve worked hard with your recovery , hope your tkr goes well i will be in your pocket as i will still be about till the 26th xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hello Iris,
    Lovely to see you, oh I will be there for pocket duties for sure.
    The Tocilizumab working for you is absolutely wonderful news I am so happy for you. Thank goodness for your fantastic rheumy and his determination to get the funding for Tocilizumab for you.

I am glad hear that TT is getting a proper workout from the OT but being free from the pain is the best news ever.

Gentle hugs,
    Lv, I x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Iris

So good to see you, Wally and a pain free tiny tim :grin: Am so pleased the new biologic is being kind to you and will keep my fingers crossed for the 9th and 22nd Sept. We have so much missed you so you will be needing very large pockets then lovey.
    take care and keep in touch when you can. (((( ))))
    love
    Chris xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Iris,

Weather you feel deserving or not you are! You have helped so many folks here and they don;t forget or forget you.

I stand by every word... well maybe i should say i slouching quite badly by every word :lol: remind me not to have my arms up trying to do curtain too often :wink:

Rubes did help..... she was being directed by miss L Legs and e all do as she says :lol:

Leaving you a ((((( )))))and a bucket of hopes for the morning and you know what? Tis so good to see you here and so good to see your news re the Tocilizumab. It does sound like a very good drug and fingers crossed it will help you for a very long time cus its way past time something did!

You have had a raw deal this last few months but iris it can only get better and I know looking past the op and the recovery is your way but your right to do that cus the benefits will be huge my friend.

Leaving another ((( ))), a slurp from the drolling one (and you know how much you wanted that :lol: ) a bounce from the overactive one with baaas and the other crescendo of sounds only found here I think :roll: Cris xxxx

oh and since its you e050.gif a bit of lettuce and a bit of carrot as well :lol:
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Hi Iris, it's so good to get a little catch up with you. Sorry I've not been around lately but you and the others have been in my thoughts and I've been sending positive vibes.
    You should write a book about your experiences. I've never met a more positive and helpful person. You've been through so much and it's not over yet. Still you keep going and encouraging others.
    I'll be sending lots of good vibes on 9th and 20th. Hold on in there. Big hugs. Rita.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,481
    Options
    Hi Iris

FANTASTIC to see you :grin:

I have missed you.....the forum has missed you.

Well that is a fair bit of good news then?? Ulna and TT behaving and working well....your new antitnf is clearly doing a LOT!!!

b020.gif

Long may the continue.

AND adate for tkr??? Wow :shock: You have been busy.

I reckon you have a good team up there who are really trying to help you and l for one realy think you deserve it :grin:

Lots of love and hugs

Toni xx

PS hope you are going to stay now :???: pleeeasee!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello my lovely, I apologise for not answering before now but I am in a slump and not feeling up to much. (Oh boo-hoo-hoo, get over yourself Daisy. :smile: ) I am so pleased for you, the dates are in my diary and I shall be with you in spirit on the 9th and 22nd, that's a promise. Congratulations too on the tocilizumab, that is wonderful news and I am so pleased it is helping you - long may that last, yes? Diabolic.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Iris its really lovely to have you back in the fold, you have been missed so much, and Cris is right you were always here for everyone.
    You have gone through so much , and if anyone deserve a break its you.
    I am so glad the new drug is working, I will keep everything crossed for you.
    Has for September I will defiantly be in your pocket .
    You take care...lots of hugs ((((()))) and love xxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Iris, just want to add my good wishes for the end of September. Like Sticky, anything you need to know, just ask ...and I'll be in your pocket too especially now I can climb again :lol::lol::lol:

Good news about your meds too ............long may it continue.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hello Berty, Ironic, Chris, Cris, Rita, Toni, and DD. :grin: x 7!

How lovely to get your messages and good wishes. :!:

Berty.
    ... have booked a space in my pockets for you :wink:
    how are you doing? (I'm being really nosey now :oops: but what's a happening on the 26th?)
    how's Ned? (did I remember that right? if not :oops: sorry! :roll: )

Ironic..
    .... great to see you too my friend! :mrgreen: I've been very lucky with my rheummy and am sure without his help I'd have been well and truly stuck.
    TT is trying his hardest to increase his movement but has been restricted because of arther damage to the surrounding tissues.... no pain at all though! so 'tis a good trade off. :wink:
    how's the Mtx increase going?

Chris...
    ... thanks so much ! :grin: I have so missed being on the forum but with the improvement in my joints... courtesy of the op and Tocil.... I'm able to type now with more ease . :P how are you? how's work?

Cris..
    .... Those curtains sorted yet? Rubes and Haz thought you wanted a lacey effect, hence the pattern of tooth marks...well that's their excuse and they're sticking to it!. :lol:
    Thanks to the girls for the crescendo. :shock: Is it safe to remove the earplugs? :lol: ... and the drool? what can I say? :eek:
    hopes and (((hugs))) for you that the xperiment is still working. :wink:

Hi Rita .. :grin:
    ... no apologies necessary for not being around.. I've been awol too. :!: Your positive vibes have been working a treat, so please keep 'em coming :wink: Hope you are keeping well my friend and that :???: arther hasn't been making a nuisance of himself.(any more than usual :roll: ) love to you and your girls.xx

Hi Toni...
    ... 'Tis FANTASTIC to see you too. :grin: I have missed you and the forum peeps too. :!: Hope I'll be able to stay about and post more as I am feeling so much better :mrgreen: Have left behind those difficult few months with arther flexing his muscles. :eek: Hooray!!
    Love and (((hugs))) to you too lovely lass :wink:

Hi my very own Diabolic.... :wink:
    ......I know how good you are with dates, so I'll be relying on you to remind me when the time draws near for the op. :!: :lol: any news of the M.A.S.H Unit re-opening? :?: ..maybe I'll regret asking :shock: :eek: :lol:
    Hope you soon recover from your wee dwam (good scots word that!) and come bouncing back!

Love to all ,

Iris xxxxx

Hi Barbara!...
    ... just saw you there :wink: xx
    I'm so happy to be back and am a bit overwhelmed by everyone's kindness and good wishes. :oops: You have always been there for me and I do appreciate it. :!: :grin::wink:
    Love the 'I will defiantly be in your pocket' :lol: I've now a vision of you standing by with a steely look in your eye defying anyone to stand in your way :!: :lol:
    how are you doing? how's the hip(s)?
    ((((hugs))))

Iris xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Iris

So lovely to hear from you and I wish you well in September with the TKR. There are plenty of us around on the forum who have been there and done that and we shall be happy to help you along your way, should you need it. :grin:

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dorcas
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    Iris, just want to add my good wishes for the end of September. Like Sticky, anything you need to know, just ask ...and I'll be in your pocket too especially now I can climb again :lol::lol::lol:

Good news about your meds too ............long may it continue.

Luv

Hi Linda :grin:
    'tis so good to see you back :!:
    Thanks for your good wishes too :wink: I will definitely be picking your brains !(what a weird saying that is :shock: )
    I'll be looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly details of having a TKR as I don't know quite what to expect and want to be properly prepared. :mrgreen:
    I'm so glad 'Knew Knee' is proving himself a worthy addition to your household. :wink: and being so flexible already!

(((hugs)))

Iris xxx
  • dorcas
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Iris

So lovely to hear from you and I wish you well in September with the TKR. There are plenty of us around on the forum who have been there and done that and we shall be happy to help you along your way, should you need it. :grin:

Love
    Elna x

Hi Elna :grin:
    'Tis nice to see you too :wink::grin:
    All offers of help with preparing for the TKR (very) gratefully received :!:
    I'm already working on a List of questions !:mrgreen:
    many thanks..... and hope you are well?

iris xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, M.A.S.H., now there's a thought . . . . . . you just never know your luck! DiabolicDamsel. xx
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Iris yes I will be defiant.. :oops: :grin: dont you worry I will be on guard....I am still being a chicken with the hips...they have now threatened me with a back op....so the hip op dont seem to bad....hipop...I used to do that .. :lol::lol:
    You take care...and yes I will be in pocket duty..
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi will be in pocket but can not offer any advice not been there so leaving hugs and positive thoughts val
    val
  • dorcas
    Options
    Hiya Barbara :grin:
    Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour :wink: defiant indeed!

I'm so sorry I'm way behind with what's been happening to you :oops: your back? and hips? :eek:
    have you to make a decision about what, when and where :?: ......Oh heavens to murgitroyd, what a dilemma !

I promise to be around for you Barbara. Take care and double thanks for being such a great support, especially when you've had this spinning around in your head. :???:

lotsa love and (((hugs))) you are one special lady. :wink:

Iris xxxx
  • dorcas
    Options
    valval wrote:
    hi will be in pocket but can not offer any advice not been there so leaving hugs and positive thoughts val

Hi Val :grin:

please don't minimise the help you give lots of folks including me. :wink: It matters not that you've not had the op.... your kind words and offer of support helps... and is much appreciated. :!:

I'll be sure to reserve a place in my pocket for you. :grin:

thanks again!

Iris xxxx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Iris update on Ned yes you got it right , he needs a resurface and a button putting behind my knee cap and a realignment hes gone a bit wayward its the same sort of procedure as a tkr but with out the joint that's already there i am just unlucky i think :roll:
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx