My Weight Loss/Body Shape

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 3. Oct 2011, 06:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I have just had assessment at gym and have lost total of 11.5 inches (2 from chest, 4 from waist, 2 from hips, and 1.5 from thighs)...Weight is at 98kilograms which is same but my bmi is down from 37.3 to 36.7 and body fat down from 50 to 49.3, also bloodd pressure and lung capacity up...Just means wont get down to target weight as soon as id hoped, it will now be next year but it shows my body is toning up and overall health better....I want my knee op so badly, want to be 95 kilograms so much!!...Its all in the right direction though!!
I know the above is good and am now intoroducing more cardio exercises which apparently burns more calories, tried cross trainer, half sittting on bench sit ups and exercise bike where your legs are leaning back so can cycle slowly in my case.....I know my surgeon only is interested in how many kilos i now weigh and Im a bit miffed ive stuck at 98kilos for last month or so....It will take longer than I thought but I have to tell myself i will get there....

Elainex

Comments

• Melrymax
    Melrymax Member Posts: 226
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine. You must remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Therefore you working out at the gym has kept your weight as you will have lost some but due to muscle increasing, it doesn't appear so x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Just say Mel is right, when you go to the gym, you usually notice a pause in your weight loss, due to getting more muscle, and this muscle will help alot when you get your knee done.
    So you are getting there , and doing all the right things.
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You are doing OK, just hang on in there and keep doing what you are doing. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    stay with it you will get there well done on all you have mannaged val
    val
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Yes I am aware of muscle increase - strength.....I have read your reply over again and not sure if youre being pessimistic or not......Im happy

Elainex
    Melrymax wrote:
    Hi Elaine. You must remember that muscle weighs more than fat. Therefore you working out at the gym has kept your weight as you will have lost some but due to muscle increasing, it doesn't appear so x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

Yes Im doing good stuff, body is tightening up...Can only be seen as positive ...

Elainex
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi

Well I think its better than okay but know what you mean.....

Elainex
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    You are doing OK, just hang on in there and keep doing what you are doing. I wish you well. DD
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Val

Yes im doing positive things and will stick with it for however long as I need to....

Elainex
    valval wrote:
    stay with it you will get there well done on all you have mannaged val
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

That's great well done.

Anita x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Anita

Thank you...Nobody said it would be easy but I appreciate all well dones as it does mean a lot...

Elainex
    tiggernut wrote:
    Hi Elaine,

That's great well done.

Anita x
  • tj66
    tj66 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Well done Elaine,

I take my hat off to you - I am with WW and did loose 7lb - but they upped my medication and I have felt so hungry have put it all back on. I go to meetings but can't bring myself to get on the scales!

I had to buy a bigger size bra at the week end cause i had hospital Monday-last time I was caught out and had to bend over in pants that had seen better days-I thought I would be one step ahead and avoid any spilliage in the boob department when bending forward!

****'s law, there i was ready to strip off and show matching pants and bra and you'vee guessed-I only had to role up my trouser leg!

Well done once again for losing wieght and inches!
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Elaine you are doing really well and have already lost a lot of weight have you checked with your surgeon to see if he will accept the 98kg I had to lose a lot of weight for an op a few years ago and was told that I needed to get to 86kg( no chance) but I got to 95kg and they were happy to do the op so it is worth asking.

Keep up the good work
    Tracey
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi TJ66

Oh thats a bit of a bugger if they upped your meds and you have lost track re weight loss....I am finding that before Im dressed in mornings I can do my straight leg raises and half bends then some half sit ups...So I try and do a lot but if you get what I mean a lot is seated too to take presssure off knee...
    You made me laugh there with your matching set all ready to go and it was a false alarm in the end! Still new undies are always good....!!
    Thanks for the well done, I am on the right road!!

Elainex

tj66 wrote:
    Well done Elaine,

I take my hat off to you - I am with WW and did loose 7lb - but they upped my medication and I have felt so hungry have put it all back on. I go to meetings but can't bring myself to get on the scales!

I had to buy a bigger size bra at the week end cause i had hospital Monday-last time I was caught out and had to bend over in pants that had seen better days-I thought I would be one step ahead and avoid any spilliage in the boob department when bending forward!

****'s law, there i was ready to strip off and show matching pants and bra and you'vee guessed-I only had to role up my trouser leg!

Well done once again for losing wieght and inches!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Tracey

I have thought of that but dont think he will accept just inches off...Thought too about sending my gym cards (copies of) to show that I am progressing in the right direction.....Ive got to accept that it took years to put this weight on it wont come off in an instant...Im giving myself another 3-6 months....
    Its the thought of being rejected thats putting me off asking, you know what I mean?

Elainex
    madwestie wrote:
    Elaine you are doing really well and have already lost a lot of weight have you checked with your surgeon to see if he will accept the 98kg I had to lose a lot of weight for an op a few years ago and was told that I needed to get to 86kg( no chance) but I got to 95kg and they were happy to do the op so it is worth asking.

Keep up the good work
    Tracey
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Push ups? Maybe, but only if one can get onto the floor (and up again) and also if ones hands etc are not affected by arthritis. I can get onto the floor quite easily, it's called falling, but getting up is a whole different ball game! If it works for you, Finlay, then that's great and keep up your good work. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Elaine, Doc's are sometimes more interested in your motivation to lose weight than the actual weight loss.
    In my book you have done more than enough to get that new knee.
    Send him the details of how well you have done.
    Well I think you've done fantastically well, it's not easy when you've knackered joints
    I am sure you look completely different as well and that you have more confidence too
    Take care
    x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    And if we were all as fit as butchers dogs dont you think we'd be doing your magic push ups...This is a forum where people have disabilities not Mr/Mrs Universe....!!!!

elainex
    Finlay wrote:
    Reducing weight is a big problem these days. Every one want to lose the weight and shape the body. Push up is the best way to lose the weight and also shape your body muscles.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    HI Daylily

Ive sent the gym report and already am seeing massive changes since have done cross trainer and exercise bike in gym routine...Its shifting the weight,....Now down to 96 kilos....4 to go till target for surgeon!!!WHoopeee!! Im happy just now just wish could get rid of auto immune flare up and horrble steroids, reducing dose all the time but its back with a vengeance!!!

Happy days...

elainex
    daylily wrote:
    Elaine, Doc's are sometimes more interested in your motivation to lose weight than the actual weight loss.
    In my book you have done more than enough to get that new knee.
    Send him the details of how well you have done.
    Well I think you've done fantastically well, it's not easy when you've knackered joints
    I am sure you look completely different as well and that you have more confidence too
    Take care
    x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi DD

The only thing I push up is myself out of bed!!! I think the above advice is a bit random and not really well thought out....Each to their own an hope youre well...

Elainex
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Push ups? Maybe, but only if one can get onto the floor (and up again) and also if ones hands etc are not affected by arthritis. I can get onto the floor quite easily, it's called falling, but getting up is a whole different ball game! If it works for you, Finlay, then that's great and keep up your good work. DD
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Wow Elaine, that is brilliant news, well done you. I am sorry to see that you are still in a flare, it is miserable for you.

once again, well done,

Lv, I x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Push up bra to enhance the figure and give the illusion of losing weight maybe but not push ups!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Iris

Yes really beginning to see results now of fitness and weight loss and scales moving in the right direction...Im quite optimistic now that maybe surgery will happen around beginning of 2012 if things progress as well as they have done....The flare is annoying, i thought once id lost a load of weight the conditions may ease but its still hanging onto that....
    Good to hear from you....

Elainex
    ironic wrote:
    Wow Elaine, that is brilliant news, well done you. I am sorry to see that you are still in a flare, it is miserable for you.

once again, well done,

Lv, I x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

Ive never had to push em up...got loads to contend with there!!lol....

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    Push up bra to enhance the figure and give the illusion of losing weight maybe but not push ups!

Elizabeth x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Im sure you make sense to yourself but to me and others you don

Reference to boot Camp taken out by Moderator following rules of forum

Moderator AM
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss you are doing well.

I lost so much weight when I finally managed to come off of the steroids. (Weight loss started gradually as I weaned myself off of them).

It's a vicious circle when on steroids obviously we need them because of the pain but they do have a lot of side effects. Not least of all weight gain.

I do wonder if there is something else which would help as a replacement to steroids. I think that if I need steroids again I will ask if there is an alternative before I start.

However, have you pointed out to your 'knee person' that it is not so easy to loose weight will on steroids? You probably have but some sympathy from them would go a long way to boost your moral.

Ratface xxxx