Tattoos... for or against

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 16. Oct 2011, 17:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
I had one done 40 years ago, and can't make my mind up if I regret it or not.
There were some real hard cases at our school, so I suppose I was just following the crowd. I suppose given the right artwork and colours on the right person, they do look quite good, when they are done well.
I don't like them on arms, but they look ok on shoulders , mmm cant make my mind up.
I notice Cheryl Cole has a few, so they must be fashionable these days, and Angelina Jolie has loads of em, but I'm still undecided.
By the way, they do hurt a bit. Alanthemanc

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alan,
    I myself have 4 of them, each one has been well researched and is incredibly meaningful to me. The one on the top of my spine was my own design and I took inspiration from the book of kells Trinity college Dublin.
    Around my wrist is a ring of Poppies, hand drawn by a fantastic artist and the lady who has done all my work. I have a small Celtic cross on the back across the rib cage as my faith is important to me, daft as this sounds to some, whenever I've had an operation knowing that my cross is there has brought me great comfort. My final one is on the base of my spine and has my 3 children's initial combined in a flowing calligraphy style.
    These days it's easy to go and get a tattoo done, I can well understand the lure of doing something like this, but it must be the right tattoo and you MUST know the artist has all their certificate, insurance etc, have seen their work and trust them. Sometimes they do hurt, but not nearly as much as childbirth :lol: although the one across the ribs was close :lol: I can honestly say I've never regretted having them done, and never will, they are meaningful and discreet.
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Poppy
    Wow, your's seem to be the Real M/coy, and sound as though you did some research. Incidently, the guy who did Beckham's tattoos, has his studio 1/2 a mile from my house.
    I suppose you get what you pay for like anything else. Your's sound very tastefully done, I especially like the Celtic stuff........... but am still undecided. Alanthemanc
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Options
    Hi,
    I have had my one for 20yrs on the top of my right arm. It is a sun design in black ink only, which i designed myself. It also is meaningful to me and i do not regret it. In fact i was thinking about having another. I just need to decide what
    :smile:

Clare xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Love them if they are done correctly....i must admit i have had a few done.
    I ways always to scared to have any done but started my road onto tattoos when i was 40.... I have one on my left top arm which is Celtic design, then in a mad moment when i was fed up with work and people in general had Chinese writing put on the top of my other arm which meant foolish boar, which in my mind translated into stupid cow that i would tap or rub if someone really upset me... The other meaning for me was also i can be quite foolish at times and my sign is the boar. The next few were all my design so i had a coloured dragon on the outside of my right lower leg with a dragon fly on the inside and another dragon fly on my foot..this is all connected up with a swirling design. Then designed and had a fairy hiding in a flower which then when into a butterfly on the inside of my lower leg and a flower on my foot. Had a small break and then had a cup cake for the hero fund above my foolish boar then surrounded the foolish boar with another design to soften it which is flowers and butterflies...with swirls and a bow. (which matched in with the cupcake.)
    Must admit it is quite addictive once you start and you either love them or hate them...
    Now thinking about what i could have done next???? Maybe a Christmas present!!!!
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Well.. Erm, I loves em. Lol
    Got most of my left arm done, two on the right arm,.one on my chest, two on my right leg and a full backpiece..

I've not had enough cash to have more done YET.. But I will. Got a few more planned and the backpiece needs a little bit of finishing off.
    I've had two of my older ones covered up as they were just spur of the moment ones and way too small... Haha
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lupin15
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Well.. Erm, I loves em. Lol
    Got most of my left arm done, two on the right arm,.one on my chest, two on my right leg and a full backpiece..

I've not had enough cash to have more done YET.. But I will. Got a few more planned and the backpiece needs a little bit of finishing off.
    I've had two of my older ones covered up as they were just spur of the moment ones and way too small... Haha

Thats the spirit Tony go for it...must admit they do cost a bit...£60 an hour!!! better get saving...or could sell hubbys services...steady not that kind his ironing skills. :lol::lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They are a marmite thing, aren't they? It's a personal choice and I choose not. The permanency is the aspect that I find off-putting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Has the cat got one? Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    some are lovely but we copy and enlarge the pics for local tattoo place and some of what people have done is rubbish one was giant fairy bun with butter cream and cherry on top why???????? it just does not make sence and what about when they old and wrinkely (bit like tony) well will they still look good or will they look crap ????.
    my oldest has two but that his choice me i do not do needles lol
    val
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    I have 2, both were done before i was 18..
    One is a rose with my daughters name and a bf i had when i was 17..15 yrs later the boys name is till on my arm..No1 seems to be able to convert it to something else so it has remained.. if ever my partner and i of 12 yrs get married i will have to use some of that heavy make-up to cover it up lol.. :lol:
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Old and wrinkly :shock: :eek: Have we met? LOL

Mig.. Ra is covered under that fur :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    I've had the privilege of seeing Tony's tattoos, and I can confirm that he is not old and wrinkly :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    now that is another story from the tattoo place mens tattoos and where how many people to keep member safe .
    sorry tony, know you not. but knew you would not take offence so once again sorry but please do not show them lol
    val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    lol..
    I wouldn't know how to be offended by you Val :wink:
    Now Len.. That's a different matter :shock: :lol:
    That particular tattoo you're thinking of is not for public viewing Rehab.. Lol

Within ten minutes of meeting ther lovely Mrs Lawson she was stripping me down :eek: :eek:
    :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Stu69
    Stu69 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    I hate them.... :lol::lol:

6246720856_8d360407fe_m.jpg

Yup, that is I! :grin:
    No-one was injured in the making of this signature, however, quite a few electrons may have been inconvenienced.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Im with DD on this one and a good way of putting it i.e. marmite,love or hate. Just dont like them. If they were a 5 year thing maybe but dont know, seems like skin graffitti comparable with defacing a church or mosque.(and as site getting sensitive lately I am not meaning to offend any religion by using the words church and mosque,trying to cover all bases).
    and i am not having a go at anyone with a tattoo either...my opinion i dont like them,others can have them, i dont want one, okay,phew!
  • lupin15
    Options
    Just doing another design....going to extend my top arm into my shoulder....i am sooo excited...i love marmite.... :smile::smile::smile:
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Nice sleeves Stu. What's with the Jagger impression :shock: :grin::lol:

PS.. Marmite is Satan's earwax. yuck
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • CJHunter
    Options
    Glad you got that out in a way not to offend anyone oneday :lol

If marmite is satans earwax I love em both :grin: mmm, what tat can i have next ???

C xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options
    Not for me or my girls :shock:

Having said that rather s*xy on men :oops:

A couple of my friends (female) have teeny tiny ones which look ok, but for me (showing my age I know)

No thanks
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I would suggest a bigger one.. Lol
    Bigger the better :grin:

CJHunter wrote:
    Glad you got that out in a way not to offend anyone oneday :lol

If marmite is satans earwax I love em both :grin: mmm, what tat can i have next ???

C xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • oneday
    Options
    Got me thinking!-could be dangerous,lol, but
    do the peeps with tattoos all like marmite?
  • CJHunter
    Options
    No it doesnt figure, my brother has tats and hates marmite, i have one and love marmite, sorry to poo poo this straight away :smile:

C xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • oneday
    Options
    oh no, C...thought a pattern was emerging there, could have been interesting....
    btw is bovril stuff in jar same as marmite?
  • lupin15
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    oh no, C...thought a pattern was emerging there, could have been interesting....
    btw is bovril stuff in jar same as marmite?

NO

It for hot drinks..... totally different :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
    Marmite rules...ummmmmm