Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

pregnancy and medication?

kazwhite21kazwhite21 Posts: 11
edited 27. Oct 2011, 14:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,

I am activly trying for my second child at the moment and have been told that I don't need to stop my medication and there is no risk. I'm not convinced.

I am on sulfasalazine (6 tablets a day)

I have been advised to take folic acid all the way through the pregnancy. this is my first concern really, why would I need to do this if there is no risk on the medication?

Can anyone help me with advice or knowledge on this?

Thanks,

Kaz

Comments

• stickywicketstickywicket Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there, Kaz, and welcome.

I'm afraid my pregnancy days are well and truly over but I do remember the fear of doing or taking anything that might harm the baby so I can relate to you worries.

I've never taken sulfasalazine but I do take Folic Acid as it can counter some of the side-effects of methotrexate, which I take. I don't know if F.A. is also prescribed with sulfasalazine. It is, I believe, routinely prescribed for the early months of pregnancy to prevent spinal cord problems in the baby.

Can I suggest that you copy this post to the Living With Arthritis forum? Many more people hang out there and I know we have some young mothers and also people on sulfasalazine though I'm not sure about combinations of the two.

I hope you can get some answers.
    “There is always a well-known solution to every human problem - neat, plausible, and wrong.” H.L. Mencken
  • frogmortonfrogmorton Posts: 26,012 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Kaz

just a quick hello and welcome from me!

Can l wish you all the very best of luck with starting your family.

Love

Toni xx
    Love

Toni xxx