Girdlestone procedure

Options
2»

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There is much thinking to be done, there is no doubt about that. The human brain is wondrous at remembering, forgetting, altering both the major and minor details of stuff, it is also very good at not letting go of a particular thought to the point that it disturbs everything - and there is no cure for that apart from time. I hope that eventually, once thought (and research) is exhausted, you will be able to reach the point where two lists assist your choice: one for pros, the other for cons. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pianolady104
    pianolady104 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Tracy,

I am a bit of a late comer to this forum but I am actually looking for your advice! I hope you have your hip procedure over and done with at this stage and making good recovery? I was wondering if you had decided to go ahead with the girdlestone, would it be possible to let me know how you got on? My mother has been advised to have this done after her hip was replaced 39 years ago but again we are being passed from consultant to consultant each with different ideas. Would love to know how you got on?

Hoping you are well,

Yvonne.
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hey tracey i cant help i'm affraid wish i could wave a magic wand for you its really sad the way you are suffering and some times its just not fair.
    All i can do is wish you all the luck in the world.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Kearns
    Kearns Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Tracey I am very new to this site and have just seen your question about coping with no hip joints.
    I have had both my hip joints removed (girdlestones) several years ago. When I had the first one out like you I was very scared and did not get much information about how to cope with it, unfortunately there was internet then. I walk with gutters crutches and I can move around the house with no problem. My hip joints move alot more now than before. Yes they are a bit wobbly but no more pain. You will be able to walk stand and sit just like before, but recovery is slower than a hip replacement op.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Kearns,

Lovely to meet you and welcome to the forum :P

I'm not sure if you noticed this thread dates back to 2012, maybe your op was around the same time as Tracy, it's great to hear such a positive account of how well you managed and are managing day to day.

Do start a thread of your own telling us a little bit about yourself or join in any thread, we've threads about hobbies and general conversation in Chit-chat and conversations around all things arthritis in Living with Arthritis as well as a couple of other forums!

Take care
    Mod Yvonne x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello from me, too, Kearns. Good to have you on board andmwhat a kind and thoughtful first post! I hope you'll stay with us and join in elsewhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hello from me too Kearns :)

Since I posted in this thread in 2011 I have met a lass who had hers removed due to cancer, (early 20's), she gets about great with her crutches :)

Thanks for posting

Love

Toni xxx