Fingers crossed for Tommy

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 13. Dec 2011, 17:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
My cat, Tommy Tucker, is having a dental op. today, for which he will have to be anaesthetised. He needs his teeth cleaning and some extractions of rotten teeth, but as he has kidney failure, the anaesthetic is quite dangerous for him. I have been told that he will need to be put on a drip to protect his kidneys during the op.

He was a stray cat which we took in 8 years ago, and I love him to bits, so I'm hoping that he will come through OK.

To any cat lovers out there ( and I know that there are some) please keep your fingers crossed for Tommy.

DSC01179.jpg

DSC02188.jpg

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have my fingers crossed for Tommy Tucker. He is a lucky cat to have you in his life.

Jean
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    oh Joan he will be fine! cus they know they will give him renal support all the way and he will be so much better with his teeth done and out of the risks of more kidney problems from the teeth.

will keep everything crossed for you and try not to worry too much cus its no good for you. they really will take good care f him flower. ((((( ))))) and so many hopes Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope all goes well Joan, I really do. I will be thinking of you both and please let us know how he gets on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi joan

I am thinking of you and the lovely tommy.

Juliepf x
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Options
    Everything crossed DD Animals are quite often closer than family Well closer than ours Will be thinking of him
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Betsy dog , hubby and I will be sending positive vibes to Tommy all day . Jillyb
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Joan, I will keep everything crossed for Tommy, And bubba will keep his paws crossed for him. He'll come back with nice shiny teeth which all his other cat mates will be jealous of!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    fingers are crossed ((())) coming your way and positve thoughts to help val
    val
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hi Joan.
    i know you by going to are vets you can ring any time after
    2 oclock to check up on them i wish him a speedy recovery.
    take care joan and tommy
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you for all your kind thoughts and good wishes for Tommy. He's come through the op. and has been on a drip all afternoon. I'm just about to go to bring him home, so can't wait to give him lots of TLC.
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    I am so pleased for you, and for Tommy....yipeeeee x:!: x:!: x:!: x:!: x:!:

Jean and the forum team.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hi Joan and Tommy
    thank you joan for letting us know fish and chicken and tabs for the next week i sure tommy will feel better in a few days
    with your good care joan.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh that is good news, I hope he is OK and not too peevish! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Options
    Hope all goes well for Tommy luvie..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Dear Joan

l have had my fingers crossed all day for your Boy.

Eric my old cat had kidney failure too...l should have told you he had cancer of the ears, (white-eared cat) and had it cut out with it. The op went fine and l am sure Tommy is safe and home with you by now.

Love and hugs and chirrups to Tommy

Tonix xx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Options
    I hope Tommy is tucked up safe and sound at home with you Joan. He looks very like my cat Sparkle (who is a boy, but has a girly name, long story) and I understand the worry, I would be the same. Love and Hugs ((())) X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kindness everyone. Tommy is back home again now, and he has been eating well despite having four teeth extracted and the rest cleaned. He's been given a big dose of antibiotics and a painkiller, as well as a drug for his kidneys, so he's still a bit woozy, but he's very happy to be home.

Apparently he was very well behaved until just before I went to collect him. The vet appeared with some big scratches on her arm inflicted by Tommy, who had obviously decided that he'd had enough for one day and had taken his revenge on her :roll:

All his treatment so far has cost £350- Ouch :!: Not what you want just before Christmas :roll: I couldn't get insurance for Tommy because he was a stray and I don't know his age, so I will just have to grin and bear it and pay up. Never mind, he's worth every penny :grin:
  • valval
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Thank you so much for your kindness everyone. Tommy is back home again now, and he has been eating well despite having four teeth extracted and the rest cleaned. He's been given a big dose of antibiotics and a painkiller, as well as a drug for his kidneys, so he's still a bit woozy, but he's very happy to be home.

Apparently he was very well behaved until just before I went to collect him. The vet appeared with some big scratches on her arm inflicted by Tommy, who had obviously decided that he'd had enough for one day and had taken his revenge on her :roll:

All his treatment so far has cost £350- Ouch :!: Not what you want just before Christmas :roll: I couldn't get insurance for Tommy because he was a stray and I don't know his age, so I will just have to grin and bear it and pay up. Never mind, he's worth every penny :grin:

well at least tommy got them for charging you so much it is expensive at the vets so glad tommy back with you surely the vet could have given you an age for him ?? mind you insurance on an older cat would not have been cheep either. hope you slept well val
    val
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Well done to Tommy for coming through this so well.
    These vets know how to charge don't they?
    I hope that Tommy's recovering slowly but steadily on a diet of fresh salmon, rump steak (finely chopped of course), and cream. All lovingly served to him as he recuperates on the settee snuggled in his human's most favourite jumper/cardi/posh blanket.
    Having two cats myself (one who's 16+) I know how much pleasure you get from them but also when they're poorly how much you worry.
    Hope you both have a quiet weekend and he's back to himself very soon.
    Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you Val and Grace.

Grace, unfortunately a diet of salmon and steak is just what Tommy is not allowed to have any more because of his kidneys. He has to be kept on a strict low-protein diet in future, so he will miss all the treats he loves.

He doing really well today, and seems to be recovering from his op. I'm having fun and games getting him to take his tablets though. He's got to take 5 tablets a day ( 2 antibiotics and 3 for his kidneys ) He's very clever at holding them in his mouth and then spitting them out, so I'm trying to get him to have them in his food. That's not easy because he doesn't like the taste so still spits them out. The only way I can get him to eat them is by giving him a bit of tuna with the tablet crushed up in it, but he's not supposed to have tuna so it's catch 22 with him :roll: At least the antibiotics are only for a few days, but I will have to give him the other drugs daily for the rest of his life.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Picture144.jpg

That's brilliant Del x:lol: x:lol: x:lol:

Whoever wrote that had obviously met Tommy x:roll: Even the vet couldn't think of a solution to the pill-taking problem. Dogs are much less complicated x:lol:
  • valval
    Options
    dell well done that so good val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Update on Tommy.

He's feeling much better today, eating well, and he's been outside for a short time in the garden. He soon came back in when he found out how cold it was though, and is now lying in his favourite spot next to the radiator x:-D
  • joanlawson
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    joanlawson wrote:
    Update on Tommy.

He's feeling much better today, eating well, and he's been outside for a short time in the garden. He soon came back in when he found out how cold it was though, and is now lying in his favourite spot next to the radiator x:-D

A thought crossed my mind ( a long and lonely journey) what if you could have the man of your choice, clad in his thong, curled up by your radiator?

That would be purrfect x:lol: x:lol:
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Joan I am so pleased that tommy is feeling much better today and that he is able to eat his food

Give him a tickle under the chin from me

Love Juliepf x