Does anyone have to wear boots in the summer for support?

sailrib
sailrib Member Posts: 327
edited 31. Dec 2011, 02:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Im just wondering if there is anyone out there that has to wear boots in the summer for support.

It looks like I am going to have to wear boots in the summer but I am wondering what other people do for support for the ankle?

I normally wear Birkenstock sandals for the summer but not sure if they will work now.

Thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,088
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Not boots but I have to wear very sturdy surgical shoes all the time. I can't wear ordinary ones and can hardly walk without them. It's a real pain in summer when it's hot. I have a pair of adjustable sandals which I change into for long haul flights or might wear in really hot weather if I know I'm only going to be in the wheelchair but that's it for me. Would an ankle support help? Or would that be just as bad?
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    I have foot orthotic on my left foot but also an ankle foot orthotic on my right so makes it really difficult.

I managed to wear my Birkenstock sandals last summer but I now feel like if I want to be able to walk on my feet when I am 30, then I need to be sensible.

Do you buy certain socks to help keep your feet cool?
    I am wondering if there is such thing and that will help.

The boots I have are not very high boots, there more like shoes which are slightly higher, which is a great help to keep me that little bit more cooler. I wouldnt even call them ankle boots. These boots are great, as my ankle's are fine but my subtalar joints are not. They support the right bit.

Thank you x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,088
    I just wear cotton socks. I think it's possible to buy wicking socks. My husband plays golf and loves wicking shirts and jackets but hasn't mentioned socks yet.

I think your idea of planning ahead is really good. I've had RA for 50 years and worn surgical shoes for 35-40 years. For much of that time I had a brilliant orthotist and I'm quite sure he did as much as the surgeons to keep me walking.
  • jez
    jez Member Posts: 27
    Hi,
    I wear ankle boots with orthotic insoles most of the time when i am out i find socks or tights with a high wool content help keep the sweat and smell in check. I have been known to put my insoles in sandals :shock: looks funny but i am past caring .
    I wear ankle boots as my ankles are very easily bruised/damaged, OA + tendon problems + someone drove over my feet some years ago. (car driver lost control went up path = me in way)
    jez

Who's Online

frogmorton
frogmorton
LouLouHughes
LouLouHughes
+4 Guests