Chronic diarrohea is it the meds ?

Options
Lin7361
Lin7361 Member Posts: 19
edited 28. Feb 2012, 13:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi has anyone chronic diarrohea from sulasulaszine or naproxen
Ihave jad chronic diarrohea now for 6 wks :roll: docs are baffled and have to say im pretty fed up tried stopping 1 of sulsa but didnt work so gonna drop 2more but am wondering if its naproxen cant c :( arry on like this much longer feel really weak now

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you though I am sorry you have had to find us. If the problem started when you began either the sulph or the nap then yes, my best guess would be that they are responsible but I am not a doctor. These are strong meds and some bodies don't take well to them but even so I don't think it wise to alter their doses without first consulting your GP or rheumatologist. The docs should not be 'baffled' they should be advising you on the best course of action - have they done any tests to see what a possible cause might be? I am not surprised that you are feeling so weak and drained. Please go to your GP as soon as possible, he should be aware of how it is affecting you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I get it all the time. I have no idea if it is the meds. :? I am also on sulfasalazine.
    It could be an issue with the stomach lining so would be worth mentioning although my rheumatologist and Nurse don't seem at all concerned.

It has got worse since I started eating weightwatchers meals and snacks so expect there is something in their food to clear you out(and lose weight quicker) :roll:
    For me I expect it is a combination of the two.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • sulkycat
    sulkycat Member Posts: 71
    Options
    I had a terrible time with the sulfa and was told to stop taking it immediately - I certainly had a few bathroom days!

Worth giving your RA team a ring I would think.
  • Lin7361
    Options
    I have just rung helpline so waiting to hear back will keep you posted
    il keep you posted
  • annalou
    annalou Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi, I can't say about Sulpha but I've been taking Naproxen for the last month and I keep getting really poorly tummy. I've been giving my body a break from it for a day or so and then going back to it, which seems to solve the problem. This is not ideal but I do find the Naproxen really helps my joints because when I stop pain reappears at a surprising rate, actually thought the Naproxen wasnt working until I stopped and then I realised oh yes it was!!!

Annalou
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Hi
    I would contact your doc. 6 weeks.is far too long to suffer with this.
    It could be the meds but it may not be.
    No wonder you are feeling so rough...make sure you are getting plenty of fluid and please make sure you get answers from the doc.
    May
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi

I don't take those meds so i can not comment, but if I had been suffering like you I would have most certainly either rang my gp or the rhummy people before now.

Take care
    juliepf x
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    if you have had that for 6 weeks you need to talk to the GP or Rheumy re stopping your meds if only to discount them.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Lin7361
    Options
    To the comment bout ringing gp have been to see him several times with no joy so rang put of hours for some sort explaintion but no did blood sugars which was 7.3 as he thought could be sign of diabetes have rang rheumtology helpline which have to do and then a nurse rings you but as yet no reply was really worried as I soiled myself while sleeping also have rang nhs direct and all they say is drink plenty of fluids.when I asked what was I suppose to in mean.time while waiting for gastro appt I wastold just drink plenty of water and keep taking anti diarrohea tabs also got a six yr old so have to say am quite exhausted.at first I thought was stress as my father passed away in nov and started just after funreal also have sent stool sample a :shock: nd that was clear so am end of my tether.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am not surprised that you are at the end of your tether but we are really NOT allowed to tell you what to do as we are not docs. If this were me, however, and I was soiling myself in my sleep then I would take matters into my own hands, stop the meds and argue with the docs after. Would they like to live with such a thing? No. I am so sorry, Lin, this must be dreadful for you. DD
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Well they me back and told me to stop sulfa 4 a wk and that dont work have to stop naproxen and so on so wish me luck hopefully wil be sorted soon
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    Oh Lin

Thank goodness!!!!!

please do let us knwo how you get on :shock:

Love

Toni xx

Ps hello and welcome :D
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Just thought it was easing and off to the toilet again another sleepless with endless trips to the loo.thanks everyone for your support .have notice getting stinking headache well more like really bad pain in head like pressure on top of head lets wait and c wot tom brings xxx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hello again Lin any sign of feeling better yet you have had a lot to cope with, so sorry about your Dad. and having the little one to look after ill bet you dont get a minute.
    Hope your feeling better soon
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Iwas awake til 2 this morning I was sat on toliet for 1hr and half and at the end I was bleeding from there but fingers crossed havnt been yet today lol but was a bit scared when I saw the blood it was bright red so I think it was from the strain of all of the diarrohea oh well lets hope todays a better day xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,480
    Options
    Hi Lin

my fingers are still crossed for you and hoping things are easing (sounds hopeful for today).

Might not be a bad idea to mention the bleeding when you can to your doc/other health professional.

Good luck

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Hi Lin

I am sorry you are suffering so badly and feeling so drained. It might still be in your system and could ease up over the next few days now you have stopped taking it. It does seem to be an issue with some people.

Also so sorry you have recently lost your Dad. The stress can't have helped either.

elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thank you all for your concern have to say dad dying didnt help especially as we only lot my mam last year so I lost both my msm and dad in a year and to be told I had ra aswell so lets this year will be a better one anuway have to stop feeling sorry for myself as there are peoplr worse off than me xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Maybe there are those who are worse off than you but quite honestly that is irrelevant: you are suffering badly at the moment and you need help. If I remember you right you are stopping the sulph on the recommendation of the nurse, yes? I hope that leads to a great improvement in your health viz the diarrhoea. DD
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Well was doing good til 2 hs ago but was stuck on toliet for hr oh well lets c wot tom brings lol xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Lin, how are you today? I hope that things have improved for you, I really do. DD
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Getting only had it once yesterday and hopefully nothing today so it must be the meds
    Thanks everyone for your support x
  • tkachev
    Options
    Great news Lin. Bet you feel much better now.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Lin,

I had the same problem at the end of last year. I'm on different meds to you but after a full week of the runs and an 'accident' :shock: :oops: went to docs. I was tested for c.difficile (I'd not long had a TKR) and other bugs and the results were all clear. The doc put me on Loperamide and then Codeine Phosphate and this controlled the diarrhoea so I wasn't needing the loo every few minutes.

I, like you, was having to get up during the night :roll:

My doc saw me weekly. After six weeks I was referred to the hospital and this resulted in having a colonoscopy. To prepare for this procedure you have to take prescribed laxatives the day before so that you're squeaky clean and ready for your photo shoot :wink::lol: My insides were perfectly normal and since the massive clear out I'm almost back to normal. The hospital said it was probably down to my medication. (Coincidently I also lost my dear dad in October after a short illness :cry: .)

I'm glad things have settled down for you now you've stopped the Sulphasalazine.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Lin7361
    Options
    Thats all they have done for me the codine and lopermide and I have to c about colodoscopy as wel funny aint it im glad im not the only one going throigh it.
    Im sorry about your dad doesnt feel like your heart ripped out we eas slways together and sometimes I forget hes gone then it hits u like a speed yrain.cxc