TMJ Appointment news from catrocks1982 :(

Options
catrocks1982
catrocks1982 Member Posts: 56
edited 1. Jun 2012, 14:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi i posted on here a couple of weeks ago about TMJ and asking anyone else if they were suffering :)

I have been to my new surgeon for second opinion, he was lovely and went through the whole of my x-rays etc with me. I will be on pain relief and soft/no chewing diet for the rest of my life (which has really hit me although i kindo thought this i hoped it wouldnt be forever) Im so upset on the prospect of never being able to eat a beautiful meal again, all soft mush for me.

He also said i have one of the worst he has seen for my age, he said with the amount its degenrated i should be around 50 lol, its very rapidly gone like this.

He still thinks im too young for the surgery for a new jaw, but is willing to remove the cartlage to see if that can help me, it has a 85% success rate. Has anyone had this?? it will cause the arthritis to worsen over time but it is anyway and i feel its gotta be worth a shot :)

I feel soooo down about it, on a non chewing diet forever! This has really hit me hard. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated :)

Catxx :)

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Cat.
    I'm really sorry that you've had this news mi dear...
    Not sure what else to say.

Best wishes hun
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Awwww thank you so much for the kind words, we have gotta be strong i guess that will come in time. I hope :) lol

Hope you are doing well :)

Best wishes to you too

Catxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    no worries hun.
    This disease does some bloody rotten things to us eh?

I hope you like soup :shock: Sorry, shouldn't joke.
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Yeah your right there its a ridiculus thing to have to go through.

I can still joke so giggled at that haha for the next 40 odd year my god you have to laugh lol

:)

Catxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I find a good sense of humour is a must with this crap... Haha
    Good that you've still kept yours hun

e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    If you didnt keep yer sense of humour, you would give up and im not giving up too young to lol :)

:lol:

Take care

Catxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    that makes two of us hun.
    Way too young to give up :D
    If you didnt keep yer sense of humour, you would give up and im not giving up too young to lol :)

:lol:

Take care

Catxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Cat I am so sorry, but I do think this may be more positive than you think,85% is very good odds...who knows when you have had it done you may not need the full jaw op, I do wish you well with it all, and dont forget we are always here for you to rant to,
    I really do wish I could help more xxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Cat. you and i had a chat a few weeks ago about TMJ.Iam still waiting to hear word to go in for pain injections on my jaw. The pain can be unbearable sometimes so i totally get whats going on with you. As you told me, anything is worth trying and 85% sounds promising. Am sure you are going to go for it and who knows? maybe you will be able to eat a bit better too. Whenever mine gets really bad i think about you and it helps me to deal with it. I hope you dont have to wait to long to get your procedure done.

7worlds
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Thank you Barbara for your kind words of positivity, i will still need the full op this will just help until it needs done. He said i will still not be able to chew the only thing it will help with is movement and in 85% cases pain too which would be amazing :)

He says he wants to help me as he understands i am a young woman, feel positive about the op however i really dont want to not be able to enjoy proper food, i mean having mush all the time is unbearable and i will have to do this my whole life. Im glad i have this forum to kinda boost me a bit.

This surgeon is the first i have been impressed with as he listened to me and went through the whole lot which is the first for me, most of the time i get jargon and need to internet search it haha.

7worlds im glad i have helped you means alot, makes me feel better about the situation, he is leaving me for maximum 3mths unless it becomes unbearable then he will do the op straight away wont wait long :) im glad he wants to help, most surgeons and hospital staff are all about cost cutting and targets, he cares about the patients which is very good.

How r u managing at the moment? and hopefully you dont wait to long for your injection :) i do hope it eases it :)

Catxx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi Cat,

I'm so sorry that you feel so down with the news you've been given today.

However, I do detect a number of positives from your post. If I've read things right You've seen a surgeon who listened to you and who wanted to help you - both to understand what is and isn't possible and to offer what he could to help in the short time. You also seem to feel very positive about him, his knowledge, and his manner with you - all important things when you're considering such an important decision.

I can't give you any advice about the surgery he is offering, but I wonder if you've thought about asking to talk to someone who has had the surgery you've been offered? I'm not sure there is anyone currently on this forum who can help you, but this friendly and helpful surgeon might just be able to help you as I have previously been helped. A few years ago I was struggling badly, and my rheumy nurse offered to put me in touch with another patient in the local area who had had similar issues. The nurse asked the other lady for her permission to pass on her details, and she was kind enough to agree. if this surgeon is dealing with people with TMJ problems reguarly, he may just be able to put you in contact with someone who you could talk to? worth a try i'd have thought.

Thinking of you and sending hugs ((()))
    WOnky xxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    hi cat

I know it's quite unlikely, :? but I do hope you feel a little better today, :)

thinking of you

Love Julie PF x
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Thanks Wonky for your post :)

I do feel positive about this surgeon, he seems very genuinely wanting to help. The only thing i dont feel positive about is having to eat mush for the rest of my life, its unbearable just now, but i have to be strong and believe that its for the best and just do what is needed, only thing that concerns me is my weight isnt getting better, its not got worse but i want to get weight back on so i can at least work. I certainly couldnt be off work my whole life.

Thats a great idea i will phone and see if my surgeon could do that, at least then it would help even more with my positivity. I really dont want to get sooo down that i wont cope, as my jaw breakage 12yr ago unfortunetly happened at the hands of a man and i wont let him win and defeat me :) im stonger than that.

Juilie i feel a little better today although i didnt sleep great, my partner has assured me that hes with me every step of the way (hes not the man that caused injury just to make that clear lol) said i will be fine that im strong so that has also given me a boost :)

Hugs and love to you all :)

Catxx
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi Cat.Im not too bad at the mo. Im trying not to let it get to me too much because i have set things in motion to get some relief so that has given me something to focus on. Sometimes it gives me far more trouble than the RA does. Hope it wont be long now. Thanks for asking, Cat.

7worlds
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Im glad you are focused 7worlds. If it is causing you alot of pain keep on at the hospital and they will bring it forward, thats what i had to do, dont wait in pain.

I havent been great today the tramadol really knock me out, have slept most of the day :S which isnt really healthy at all. Its the only painkillers that help with the pain, catch 22 situation. Which painkillers u on?

You are welcome we are in it together :) and im glad i can help you

Catxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    my God,a man actually did that to you hun? I've no words...

Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    yes unfortunetly this is why i cant be defeated, the way it happened has made me stronger, have to keep fighting :)

Catx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    that's a fantastic spirit you have hun.
    Good for you.
    I won't type what I'd like to do to his jaw. Never mind :wink:

You are no doubt a great inspiration to many..

Bless ya :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    :) Thank you sooo much, that makes me feel better, i do have off days but so does everyone else.

I would like to think im an inspiration, would like to help other women who have been in the same position as i have :)

Thank you again for the boost :)

Catxx
  • PatriciaH
    PatriciaH Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Hi Cat :) Just read this post for the first time and wanted to say what a positive young woman you are even with everything you have been through and are still going through at the moment.

What you have been 'dealt' is just so awful but you know you are the kind of person that will take that situation and turn it into empathy for others. You are pretty amazing!!!

Take comfort in the thoughts that you have a partner that obviously adores you and that you are helping us all on here with your positivity and no doubt everyone that you come into contact with :)

Take the greatest care.

Love Patricia x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    :) I would like to think im an inspiration, would like to help other women who have been in the same position as i have :)

I haven't been in your position (God forbid!) but I promise you I am very much inspired by you, catrocks1982 - in the way you cope, your lack of self-pity and your determination to overcome a situation which would have utterly defeated the vast majority of people. I can't advise you but I can admire you very much - and send a few of these (((())))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Wow Patricia thank you sooo much for a very kind and boosting post :)

Im glad that i can help people feel more positive, it keeps me going :)
    My partner has been great and been a massive help. Do have my off days as i said suppose we all get that, im happy that im here and can help other people.

How long have you been on this site? Have you found it helpful?

Catxx
  • tjt6768
    Options
    you're welcome :D
    Hope you have a good day today whatever ya do.. How's the weather way up yonder? It's still glorious here in Yorkshire. I'm loving it..
    :) Thank you sooo much, that makes me feel better, i do have off days but so does everyone else.

I would like to think im an inspiration, would like to help other women who have been in the same position as i have :)

Thank you again for the boost :)

Catxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    Sticky wicket again thank you aswell, as i have said i wasnt always like this, i have had alot of councelling and help. There is only so much help that can be given you need to help yoursef too.

Life is far to short for self pity have to get on with it an make the most of it. Cant be defeated by anything :)

I hope you are well :)

Catxx
  • catrocks1982
    Options
    The weather up here is back to typical scotland rainy lol, suppose i cant complain we have had such beautiful weather :) always makes people smile when its sunny lol.

Im just relaxing today as i am in alot of pain

Catxx