Electric Toothbrush or ordinary one

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 10. Jun 2012, 15:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Someone bought me an electric toothbrush a few years ago, but I don't know why, I've just left it in the box, as I'm a bit suspicious of them.
Are they any good, do you use one, or do you stick with the plastic ordinary one that was invented in 1870, :?: like me. Alanthemanc :mrgreen:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi i just use the electric now it easyer on joints and hands give it a go you might just like it val
    val
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Like Val said, electric ones are easier on the hands, and my teeth feel cleaner using electric. Also my dentist reccomends them.
    Numpty
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Val
    Iv'e got a bit of a phobia about them, I keep thinking bits of my teeth that are left will go flying about my mouth, does that sound silly, Alanthemanc
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Numpty
    Do they hurt your mouth, Iv'e got a vision of toothpaste turning foaming red, sorry if your having your supper. Alanthemanc
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I was worried at first, I thought I would lose fillings etc. In fact I think the electric is gentler, I tend not to brush so hard with it. Try it, you might like it.
    Numpty
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Numpty
    Oh, I might give it a go then. So I wasn't the only one with doubts about them, I thought I was having a mental block re them. Thanks Alanthemanc
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I've used one for years. I've no idea what state my teeth would be in without it because my hands are not good and I can't brush them anything like as well with a non-electric one. I used to pack an ordinary one for overnight stays but I even take my electric one for them now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    So it's another yes from you, I must try mine , once Iv'e got the courage to open the box. ALanthemanc
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Alan, Years ago I earned some money looking after a friends cats for a week and decided to buy an electric toothbrush and love it. Dentists approve of them too. :wink:

Go on, be brave, nothing will happen only you will find it easier and your teeth will feel cleaner :wink::D No effort is needed, just hold the brush and gently move it around your teeth. You will wonder why you took so long to pluck up courage to "open the box" and use it. Let us know how you go on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I've used an electric toothbrush for years.

I keep an electric one in the bathroom upstairs and a 'manual' one downstairs for using after meals and before I go out. I also didn't want to lose the 'action' of using an ordinary brush.

I don't put toothpaste on the brush though I put some on my finger and then put it in my mouth because I have to switch the brush on before I put it in my mouth. :shock: :roll:

Electric brushes make your teeth feel really clean.

Go for it Alan you don't know what you're missing.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • stickywicket
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I don't put toothpaste on the brush though I put some on my finger and then put it in my mouth because I have to switch the brush on before I put it in my mouth. :shock: :roll:

Or, toothpaste on brush, transfer to teeth, switch on.

Alternatively, toothpaste on brush, switch on, spend morning cleaning toothpaste off bathroom and clothes.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    wouldn't be without mine rkid. So much easier on the hands and wrists I think.
    Give it a go.. It IS a strange sensation at first but you soon get used to it.. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Leccie here too :D

Teeth are far far cleaner!

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been using one for years, even before my hands started playing up. Paste on brush (just a little blob) lift to teeth and switch on. I rest the brush on each tooth, as they show in the advert., there's no need to press hard, and mine buzzes every 30 seconds to let you know how much time you have left (they recommend two minutes). Mr DD is also suspicious of them but he has graduated to a manual with a built-in battery, made by Oral? and that is good too - I use one of those for the early-afternoon-before-work clean. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Electric ,Expensive though.
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    After reading the extensive trial reports of Arthritis Care, the big unboxing will happen tonight, I will give you a report of the outcome tomoz. Alanthemanc
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you might get bit more bleeding to start with but it is a great tool and with mine if i press on to hard it stutters to let me know good luck val
    val
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Hello Alanthemanc.
    i've used one for years they clean the teeth better and cleaner.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Joan
    Just used it ... and found it ok, if a bit strange after using a normal one for x amount of years. You were right . Alanthemanc
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Alanthemanc. I can just about remember how odd it felt at first but, in a few weeks, you'll feel an ordinary one only does half a job.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    What gets me is a) the cost of them and b) the design of them, they are sooo expensive and the batteries only last a few years, now this leads on to the design issue, I could easily design one that you could actually remove the xxxxxxx battery but the new ones are all sealed units why?, a couple of volts from a NiCad battery isnt going to hurt you so why sealed for life, and don't say the battery might leak they tend not to these days and anyway you can make the thing with a seal in the base so that won't be a problem.
    The compaines are just making people stump up a lot of money on something that probably costs no more tha a tenner to turn out in the first place, and talk about carbon footprint, every 3 years it's landfill time just because the battery can't be changed. That's why I wont buy one I use a brush and strong toothpaste instead, they're taking the xxxx if you ask me.

Edited by Moderator, tone of language. Moderator J
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Electric troothbrush indeed, what will they think of next.
    I tell you something i learned when i was a kid

Dont mix electricity with water

Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • christinac47
    christinac47 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    :idea: i work in boots and sale toothbrushes so if anyone needs any help be sure to ask.i use oral.b its a great porduct and my dentis said they are very good as well
  • janetb
    janetb Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi alanthemanc
    speaking with my professional hat on ( i'm a dental hygienist ) I always encourage my patients to use etb, all the research shows us they are much better at maintaining a healthy mouth and reducing risk of gum disease. Also as someone with arthritic hands and wrists I would be lost without mine please feel free to pick my brains further if need be :)
    Janetb
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I find an electric toothbrush so much easier to use and feel my teeth are cleaner. It's also quicker. I buy the brush heads when Argos or Boots have them on offer or I couldn't afford them.
    Christine