Windowsill problem

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 25. Jun 2012, 15:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
I have a problem with my kitchen windowsill. It’s above the sink and the window looks out onto the garden and it’s quite a nice view until people block it.

Objects land on my windowsill - usually empty milk bottles; sometimes empty wine bottles; today the cheese grater. I’m not big on ornaments and I’ve never much rated cheese graters as ornaments anyway, especially my old Mum’s ancient, battered one though it may have antique value.

These ornaments invariably make their own way onto my windowsill. I know that, because my reach is nowhere near long enough and others who have been in there (It usually happens after a washing up session that I wasn’t involved in) always swear it wasn’t them, even when they were alone in the house.

Can anyone suggest a device for protecting my windowsill from being invaded? (Anyone who suggests I hog all the washing up sessions to myself will find the next bottle lands on their head.)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aah Sticky I see your dilemma! Perhaps a low fence along the front of your windowsill, complete with "DO NOT LITTER" signs would do the trick.
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you could attach a battery and see who has an instant perm.
    or some potted plants . or set vidio camera and play back catch them in the act.
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Lost my post to you :( grrr!!!!

Ok I do have the same issue going on in my house too. This is what is on the conveyor belt today:

Two sets of earrings (not pairs)

One cola bottle

One veggie palm peeler

and assorted hair bobbles :(

I have had this problem for a few years now and have just come to a (rather drastic) solution :?

I am having a new kitchen installed (work starts Friday...is that tomorrow :shock: ).

That'll learn 'em :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    You could have a vertical blind fitted and leave it so the slats are open but across the windowsill leaving no room to put anything and then when you wanted to look at the view pull them back (with the extended pulley which you could reach :wink: ) and enjoy. Remembering, of course, to block the windowsill with them when you finished.

GreenBlinds.jpg

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Have the entire sill spring loaded, that'll tech em lol.
    You should be able to distinguish between the individual OUCH as to which party is guilty at any one particular time :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Options
    My alternative suggestion would result in me being clocked over the noggin with a bottle :shock:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Sticky

I have a couple of plants on mine , my lovely orange and lemmon trees .But yes i do get other objects left on there usually which i have left :lol:
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    I reckon a framed photo of yourself dressed in pinafore, arms folded and holding a rolling pin with the words Now don't you dare

should do the trick :lol:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    I reckon a framed photo of yourself dressed in pinafore, arms folded and holding a rolling pin with the words Now don't you dare

should do the trick :lol:

:lol::lol: IMO that's the best solution so far Julie ..................whoops :oops: sorry it's not my windowsill.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Following on from Tony's spring loaded one have a slopping one :wink:

I have nothing on mine as too often I have a Haz on them and he keeps them clear... you could borrow him if you like.... xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well, you are an inventive lot, I'll give you that. And, in some cases, with very wicked minds.

Numpty - I think it'll have to be a high fence. Maybe a grille.

Val - :shock: I'm shocked. (Don't tempt me :lol: .)

Toni - your problems make mine seem trivial. Bit of a drastic solution though. Will the new kitchen have a window?

Legs - can't do with a blind. I'm a 'light' person. Besides, they'd shove it to make room.

tjt - a neat technical solution. Have you any expertise in spring-loadig windowsills? (Your 'alternative' suggestion was rubbish. Consider yourself well and truly clocked.

Karen - sounds nice. Wouldn't work. maybe a sill full of cacti???

julie - whatever are you suggesting :o ? You're not suggesting I can be scary, are you???

skezier - Problem solved. Sheer brilliance. I'm sure Haz wouldn't let anyone stick a milk bottle on him.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    My alternative suggestion would result in me being clocked over the noggin with a bottle :shock:

Now that's ard for ya!.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Mell, what else would you expect? Lol

Sticky.. In a former life I was a professional windowsill spring loader.. I will pop my former self's CV in the post for your perusal :D
    Or, maybe I just imagined that after the bottle battering :shock:
    Lol

I do admit, I like Julie's solution.. Pity out couldn't be motion activated and 3D so as they get near the arm with the rolling pin flies outward :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I do admit, I like Julie's solution.. Pity out couldn't be motion activated and 3D so as they get near the arm with the rolling pin flies outward :lol:

I'm warming to this idea. Could you put your expertise with spring-loadad windowsills to solving the practical problem of the arm flying outwards and launching a real rolling pin at the culprit?
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I just need to have s weird with my former self, but I know his work and can't see it being s problem.. Just need to hold a quick seance... :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Options
    right Sticky...
    I've spoken to my dead former self, he's able to make the apparatus you require.. (didn't take me long to contact him, there's a phone app for everything these days lol)
    He just needs a host body to erm 'borrow' for a couple of days, three tops.. Someone who, preferably does NOT have knackered hands, wists and elbows like the latest version of me :D
    Any ideas?
    He said you could pay him in spirits, but I think that was a ghostly jest :roll: :? :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    The photo Sticky the photo and please post it on here too.

(with rollers in your hair and cold cream on your face)

Sadly the kitchen WILL have a window....will a sill.....

At least it will give me roughly 4 weeks off.

This morning there is a braclet arrived (think it will rather suit me.....so)

:roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Tony - Host body, no problem. Mr SW is as fit as a butcher's dog. But, payment in spirits :o You mean I must buy some lovely whisky and then give it away :shock: I thought you were a proper Yorkie.

Toni - I think you're confusing me with Nora Batty :roll: (I'm much worse :shock: as Mr SW will confirm. I'd need to grow my hair a bit first and dig out my rolling pin but I think this could be a best-seller for all sorts of purposes. (Just imagine one leaping out of the fridge where the bottle of white is cooling :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I dunno how I missed this - I'm not on the ball. Right, so, we have a sloping window sill complete with Haz, an electric current and a scary picture of Sticky - is that about right? :shock:

I looked at my window sill this morning and its inhabitants are (going from left to right) two packed utensil jars, a tealight holder complete with tealight (always lit at night) kitchen roll on a holder, water filter jug, another tealight (as before) , insulated coffee pot which is never used but is a lovely shape, another tealight (as before), a marble mestle and portar (as we call it), my Nigella Lawson cream pottery measuring jug (a present, not used), a pot containing pens, 2 jars waiting to be recycled, a kitchen timer, half a packet of winter bird seed and a Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker (also a present, from the same lady who gave me the N Lawson jug). I need to tidy up. DD

PS Frog? That bracelet is gorgeous - snaffle it now.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    Options
    dear Sticky.. I have, erm, spoken to my former self yet again, thanks to the seance app... He is willing to forego the spirits and will accept the payment by means of spending three full said as Mr SW... I should warm you though, my former self was known to by rather frisky :o
    He is awaiting your decision...

e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DD - All pictures of me are scary.

Now, about this windowsill of yours. May I ask where and how you acquired it? It sounds suspiciously like my daughter-in-law's if you simply substitute Nigella with a dalek.

And I'm still trying to work out if it is so....er....popular because you can reach it or because you can't.

Tony - 'rather frisky', eh? Oooh, I'm tempted :oops: . Shall we just forget about this silly business with the windowsill and...er...get down to brass tacks :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I shall ask myself, and will let you know what he/I says :? :lol::wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can reach it, arms like an orang-utan. . :roll: It's now aquired two washed-out tins due for the recyling bin. A Dalek though? Cor! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Well, you are an inventive lot, I'll give you that. And, in some cases, with very wicked minds.

Numpty - I think it'll have to be a high fence. Maybe a grille.

Val - :shock: I'm shocked. (Don't tempt me :lol: .)

Toni - your problems make mine seem trivial. Bit of a drastic solution though. Will the new kitchen have a window?

Legs - can't do with a blind. I'm a 'light' person. Besides, they'd shove it to make room.

tjt - a neat technical solution. Have you any expertise in spring-loadig windowsills? (Your 'alternative' suggestion was rubbish. Consider yourself well and truly clocked.

Karen - sounds nice. Wouldn't work. maybe a sill full of cacti???

julie - whatever are you suggesting :o ? You're not suggesting I can be scary, are you???

skezier - Problem solved. Sheer brilliance. I'm sure Haz wouldn't let anyone stick a milk bottle on him.
    Sticky i do also have a cacti on the sill it is growing so tall i'm not sure what to do with it .
  • stickywicket
    Options
    fowls48 wrote:
    Sticky i do also have a cacti on the sill it is growing so tall i'm not sure what to do with it .

I actually know someone who once made a hole in their ceiling for a tall plant :o

Whatever you do with the cactus, do it carefully. We have a couple of very vicious little things.
    Steven Wright