I have my insoles.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 28. Aug 2012, 05:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Yesterday I trooped up to my second home and aquired a pair of custom-made-hard-as-nails orthotic half-length insoles. I took a selection of shoes as requested and found that they are all suitable for them but when it comes to walking - ye gods.

My knees point forwards instead of inwards. My arthritic toes are having to do some work after years of flat-footed waddling. My ankles are in a different position as they are being pushed up and out as opposed to in and down which is entirely thanks to the knees being abused by these new toys. Muscles? I'm finding some I'd forgotten I possessed. I managed to spend about 1.5 hours in them yesterday, I will have to build that gently. I've done about 50 minute this morning with standing doing the ironing (wearing my nightie and insole-inserted desert boots, pics on the web but they will cost as they're on a 'special' site :wink: ) and I shall shortly be voyaging forth with the Clatterator to get some stuff from the Co-op.

I found myself wondering (pointlessly) that if I had been referred to orthotics far earlier would I be in the current mess I am now? What an utter waste of time it is pondering the 'what ifs' of life but, being generally in a flat mood, I can't help it. The rheumatologist has known for years that the PsA was damaging joints, it's been known since April 2011 that the OA in my knees was bad and starting in my ankles, so why not refer me then? I've had a further sixteen months of bad walking so the correction now isn't going to happen overnight. Hey-ho. **** it. Right, desert boots it is although the temperature outside is in the 20s. I wish I had a touch more masochism in my character, at least that would make the pain more enjoyable. DD

PS I asked about the cost of ordering a second pair (I may be allowed a second pair on the NHS but if not then I'l get some). I need to start saving - £180. :shock:
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hope they work for you DD,that's an awful lot of money hope you can get another pair on the NHS.Mig
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    It sounds like you might have something that will help there, I really hope they do. Loving the desert boots and nightie style too :D good luck with them and with a second NHS pair. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh DD, nothing is simple is it?
    Why couldn't your new insoles be comfortable, unobtrusive and work straight away?
    Of course you will persevere with them, and I hope that in time, they become more comfortable for you, and do help you.
    As for the nightie and desert boot outfit, I really think photos should be posted on this forum :lol:
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    I hope your insoles will in time help you DD.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That is excellent news. Yes, you will find new muscles. That's the whole point of them. You are being very sensible (as usual). Just don't overdo it at first. I hope you'll have a long, happy relationship.

I hope you will be given a second pair. I guess they want to make sure the first one is OK and being used properly first. £120 is a fair bit of anyone's money. I dread to think what I've cost the country over my arthritic lifetime.

Now, about the nightie and desert boots. I feel this has potential to become the new official AC uniform, possibly accessorised with wrist splints and neck brace.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Really hope these help you , DD , I was made some a few years ago but they were so painful that I couldn't persevere with them . The doc said my feet were too deformed for them and I should have had them made years ago ! If you've been given yours at the right time , make sure you persevere and feel the benefit . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I will persevere with them as they are meant to help correct matters but I do wonder if things are too far gone for that to be a realistic option. The outside of both knee joints is very painful as my lovingly-created-by-my-stupid-body-extra bone growth is now rubbing together. I hope they help the left heel Achilles nonsense as that is very uncomfortable and I daresay it'll do my toes good to be reminded about what they should be doing. I am generally deflated at the moment with everything and this seems to be another case of too little too late. I recall my rheumatologist saying that she hadn't referrred me sooner because of the 20 month waiting list but why the hell not tell me it was an option? I would have gone for a cancellation (that's my usual ploy and it usually works) or gone private. No matter, it's too late now.

I'm being taken out for dinner later on, so long swishy skirt, new top and desert boots will be worn - this time my bright pink ones. (This morning's were purple, the nightie eau-de-nil and mocha stripes). I rather like Sticky's idea of an AC uniform! :lol: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh DD that sound like hard work, but hopefully worth it... after a while of walking in them.
    You enjoy dinner out...
    Love
    Barbara
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    DD,I am sorry about your poor feet on top of everything else grrr that was not meant as a joke ,but you do write so well you make everyone happy ,its time you had some breaks ....... oh dear :) I keep saying these things today ,but you know what I mean ,I hope you have a wonderful evening your pink boots sound devine just right for you ,And Sticky you are right what a smashing idea an arthritis uniform , cannot top DDs morning attire but my o/h y fronts are doing sterling work post tkr ,Marrianne :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    o/h y fronts are doing sterling work post tkr ,Marrianne :)

:o You do realise you're going to have to explain that one, marrianne. I speak as one who has had 3 TKRs but always stuck to my own knickers, as it were. :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Hope they work for you and you are able to stick with them. Brilliant idea about the uniform. Hope you enjoy your evening out to dinner.
    Christine
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    morning DD :D

Great news that you have your new insoles and that you are taking it steady breaking them in.
    They will, I am sure feel very weird as for years you've been walking the way you wanted to, a way that felt comfortable to you.
    The cost of the insoles is really expensive and I really do hope you get an extra pair from the NHS.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that you can persevere with these new insoles and that they really do help.
    ( blimey, they are making you walk tall, you already towered over me :lol: )
    I hope you enjoyed your dinner out and that when he came home you kicked off those boots and insoles :)

here's to another day of stepping out, best foot forward :wink:

Love Juliepf x
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    o/h y fronts are doing sterling work post tkr ,Marrianne :)

:o You do realise you're going to have to explain that one, marrianne. I speak as one who has had 3 TKRs but always stuck to my own knickers, as it were. :)
    Sticky should have put boxer shorts the coloured ones , I just cannot stand anything touching my 4 week scar not even me :lol: Marrianne :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ye gods. I'm three days in and feeling so much worse pain-wise. Stuff that doesn't usually hurt is, stuff that usually hurts is hurting more and as for the Achilles tendonitis, well, I'm of down to the shed to see if 'im indoors has anything useful kit-wise. :wink: No matter, things can only get better (after getting a damned sight worse first, that's the stage I'm in) and I must remember that more pain = little gain, well at least for the time being. I am being conscientious about the heel-toe thing so I suppose it's little wonder that stuff hurts. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh DD I suppose it make some sense that now walking more like you should ..things have got worse....I do hope it eases up very soon..keep away from that shed please...or at least give it another week.. :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've managed about four hours today, with a rest over lunch time. I've now taken them out of my shoes to give my feet a break. I'm getting used to them. Sort of. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    The day will come when you can't manage without them.Mig
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    DD, they sound horrid! Well done you for sticking with them. :wink:
    I do hope you get used to them, and they actually do some good.
    Until then, dare I say, best foot forward :roll:
    All the best,
    Numpty
  • julie47
    Options
    Well done dd for wearing them for 4 hours :D I am sure it won't take too long before you forget that they are in your shoes :D

Love Juliepf x
  • Suestpeters
    Suestpeters Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm being taken out for dinner later on, so long swishy skirt, new top and desert boots will be worn - this time my bright pink ones. (This morning's were purple, the nightie eau-de-nil and mocha stripes). I rather like Sticky's idea of an AC uniform! DD

A lady after my own heart - I've been wearing my purple glittery fit-flop boots today but I so love the sound of your bright pink desert boots - awesome.

Hope the discomfort wears of very, very soon.

Sue
    Fiddlersmall.jpg
    Fiddler, my lovely boy for 28 glorious years : 1981-2009
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I'm sure the pain means they are doing their job. Well done for sticking with them. I'm sure things will get better.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm sure the pain means that too, it's lovely having new layers of that on top of everything else. :roll: I'm not expecting the pain to diminish in any way so then I won't be disappointed when it doesn't. :lol: I'm about to shower (just to aggravate the usual hurts) then I shall venture forth on today's circuitous route to the Co-op to spark off the new pains, currently I'm not hurting anywhere near enough. :wink: DD
  • julie47
    Options
    Hope you treat yourself to a bar of choc :wink:

I love their own dark choc for 99p, It lasted 2 days :oops: :lol:

Love Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I am pleased to report that things are steadily worsening. :D I now have an extraordinarily sharp pain on the inner side of my right knee joint and I must confess I am a tad unsure about what to do re the insoles. The ony person who can help me with this is me, yes? :lol: I think I shall battle on, we may be going out later so I'll take two cocos now, then shove the torture devices in my purple desert boots, arm myself with the Clatterator and sally forth with a smile on me face and a song in me heart. Yeah, right. :roll: DD
  • Numptydumpty
    Options
    As I have no experience of these instruments of torture, I can't really offer any advice.
    But, are you perhaps doing too much too soon with them?
    I do hope things improve very soon, as you must be nearing the end of your tether.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty