Waitrose

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 29. Sep 2012, 10:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
Waitrose invited people to complete the sentence, ''I shop at Waitrose because....''.
They got some unexpected and funny replies. Here are some of them:

I shop at Waitrose because I once heard a dad say 'Put the papaya down, Orlando.'

I shop at Waitrose because the butler's on holiday.

I shop at Waitrose because Asda Value foie gras just won't do.

I shop at Waitrose because Clarrisa's pony just WILL NOT eat ASDA Value straw

I shop at Waitrose because you say "Ten items or fewer" not "Ten items or less", which is important.

I shop at Waitrose because I don't have to mix with the riff raff elsewhere.

I shop at Waitrose because my guinea pig prefers their organic salads.

I shop at Waitrose because they sell miniature cakes in their bakery, and if I'm going to get fat, I want it to be classily and slowly.

I shop at Waitrose because I like to get rid of my money as fast as I can.

I shop at Lidl using Waitrose bags to impress the neighbours.

I shop at Waitrose because everyone on our estate does. Even the gamekeepers.

Joan, who isn't posh enough to have a Waitrose anywhere near in the area. :roll: :lol:
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• archaeobard
    archaeobard Member Posts: 30
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    LOL...I shopped at Waitrose once and wondered why it cost me nearly 50 quid for a bit of steak, some veg, fruit and some cream! I only went in to buy tea and dessert. But then again the Waitrose in my area replaced a Safeway, so perhaps I was being naive.

Kat
    Pain's just nature's way of saying, 'Hey, you're alive!'

Ares in "Forget Me Not" from Xena: Warrior Princess.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh I like those! Thank you Joan, as is your norm you have started my day with a smile. :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Joan I wonder could you do a ...........I shop at Lidl to :lol::lol::lol: Marrianne :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Brilliant, Joan. Thank you.

For me, it's 'I shop at Waitrose IF I've already done a full weekly shop at M'sons. Waitrose is for the occasional treats but I do like them.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Well...I don't shop at Waitrose because my nearest one is 23 miles away and petrol isn't cheap.
    This has made me laugh too. Thank you Joan
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    No Waiterose near me either

Sticky could you send me a carrier so that I can use it around lidl :lol:

Thanks Joan I enjoyed reading this :D

Love Juliepf x
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Oh Joan those did make me chuckle. :lol:

I heard another good one:

"I shop at Waitrose because when you buy a full tank of helicopter fuel, you get 10% off champagne".

Whichever marketing nerd at Waitrose came up with this campaign must be getting a lot of stick.

Tillyxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i do not shop at waitrose because we do not have one this town is not posh enough lol
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    No Waitrose here...but i love it.. :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Love this!!
    My brother does actually shop at Waitrose because his spoiled dog prefers their organic chicken...my dogs eat anything and everything including 'finds' I often wish they hadn't scoffed!
    No Waitrose near me either.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    are they more down south sure my nan used to have one near her in dorset
    val
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    I sometimes shop at waitrose as i have a 25%discount card :lol::lol:
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Great! I have shopped at Waitrose when they gave me 10% off everything. Now that's over they are trying to win me back this week by offering me £10 off a £100 shop and have given me a voucher for £1 off champagne.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Funny Joan :lol: never shopped in Waitrose don't think there are to many in Scotland never seen one
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • joanlawson
    Options
    tillytop wrote:

Whichever marketing nerd at Waitrose came up with this campaign must be getting a lot of stick.

Tillyxxx

I'm not so sure about that because they're getting lots of publicity from it. I think it was started on Twitter, but has now been in the press and on other sites.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    Joan I wonder could you do a ...........I shop at Lidl to :lol::lol::lol: Marrianne :)[/quote

I shop at Lidl because I like surprises (I never know what's in the tins as I can't read the labels!)

I shop at Lidl because I can buy a week's shopping for less than a pot of crème fraîche at Waitrose.

I shop at Lidl so that people won't think I'm a snob by shopping in Aldi.

I shop at Lidl because I know my place.

I shop at Lidl to show that I don't bear a grudge against the Germans.
    (just don't mention the war while in there!)

I shop there because every Lidl helps.

Can anyone add to this :?:
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    marrianne wrote:
    Joan I wonder could you do a ...........I shop at Lidl to :lol::lol::lol: Marrianne :)[/quote

I shop at Lidl because I like surprises (I never know what's in the tins as I can't read the labels!)

I shop at Lidl because I can buy a week's shopping for less than a pot of crème fraîche at Waitrose.

I shop at Lidl so that people won't think I'm a snob by shopping in Aldi.

I shop at Lidl because I know my place.

I shop at Lidl to show that I don't bear a grudge against the Germans.
    (just don't mention the war while in there!)

I shop there because every Lidl helps.

Can anyone add to this :?:
    Priceless Joan :lol::lol::lol: I cant at the moment ,other than I shop at Lidl but dont tell my dentist :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My favourite supermarket chain :lol: is Booths (typed with confidence and now I'm wondering! ) found in Yorkshire (and maybe elsewhere). They're better than Waitrose and Marks. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'd put Booths & Waitrose on a par and better than M&S. (And I can't believe I'm evaluating supermarkets :roll: This forum has a lot to answer for.)
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I don’t understand why people are always so negative and anti about Waitrose they’re food is of high quality and isn’t as expensive as people seem to always automatically think, but it’s always the same worn out anti snobbery negative social steriotyping?worn out mantra that’s dragged out and it’s mostly b****s.
    They treat their staff really well unlike the other supermarkets. Ask yourself where you would want your kids to work, a shop where you’ll get sacked for the slightest cock up or low scanning or pick rate, a place where you have few rights if any and are effectively a contractor with no benefits and on a low wage working like a slave who can get fired at the drop of a hat, or would you like to work in a place where you get treated as a human being and a valued member of a team who also gets a % of their pay in a bonus each year.
    OK so they have standards and if that makes me a snob then so be it, or should that be so then be innit???.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Nearest waitrose is in Lichfield, but I ALWAYS call in when I am there :D

(we'm a bit rough here for one :wink: )

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I agree about the staff, Mell. I like the whole J*hn L*w*s P*rtn*rsh*p thing. They treat people like human beings.
    Steven Wright
  • joanlawson
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    I don’t understand why people are always so negative and anti about Waitrose they’re food is of high quality and isn’t as expensive as people seem to always automatically think, but it’s always the same worn out anti snobbery negative social steriotyping?worn out mantra that’s dragged out and it’s mostly b****s.
    They treat their staff really well unlike the other supermarkets. Ask yourself where you would want your kids to work, a shop where you’ll get sacked for the slightest cock up or low scanning or pick rate, a place where you have few rights if any and are effectively a contractor with no benefits and on a low wage working like a slave who can get fired at the drop of a hat, or would you like to work in a place where you get treated as a human being and a valued member of a team who also gets a % of their pay in a bonus each year.
    OK so they have standards and if that makes me a snob then so be it, or should that be so then be innit???.

Hi Mell, I hope you are well.

I think that Waitrose has got an image as a very middle/upper class type of store, whereas other stores like Lidl and Asda have got a more downmarket, ordinary image. There is a perception that posh people shop at Waitrose, which probably isn't true at all. However, most of their shops are in quite affluent areas, so that reinforces the ''posh'' image. I can't think of a Waitrose in a rough area of any town. Using Heston Blumenthal in their advertising campaigns has added snob value too. That's why people made a joke of ''I shop at Waitrose because.......'' The jokes were aimed at that type of middle/ upper-class image, I believe.

I'm sure that they treat their staff well, and are a good firm to work for, as you pointed out.
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Just back from Waitrose and thought of you all. Bought a bottle of Prosecco as it's Thursday!

K x
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Ah Mel

in the Cobham Branch they have celebrities walking around in their dressing gowns .Don't want to name drop but john terry you know it was you :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: he was told to leave the premises :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol: