Options
2»

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Suzy,

Glad your home and hope you will soon feel a huge amount better. Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It is nice to be home, spent most of yesterday asleep :oops:

Read my discharge letter which talks of a protuding and slipped disk which will need surgery. I have to speak to my gp for further details. :?:

Anyway, can anyone who has had spinal surgery tell me of their experiences please. I am slowly coming round to the idea that it is going to be necessary. Just wondering why the facet joint injections made things worse?

I am worried about pain after surgery and recovery times. PM me if you wish.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Can't help with the spinal stuff, Suzygirl, but I hope others can and that you have a decent weekend.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hi suzygirl.

Does the letter say what kind of surgery? I guess the debate is between microdiscectomy or fusion. I have had fusion so can give you all sorts of guidance on that surgery. Fusion is a harder recovery than MD as it is a more invasive surgery. If your facet joints are wrecked then I suppose they might do the fusion to stabilise them too?

I was really worried that I would be in agony post op but I wasn't. Some people are though so I suppose it must depend. They do tend to give you a morphine pump anyway. I was in surgery in the afternoon, and back in my room about 6pm. The physio got me out of bed the next morning. I went home after 3 nights in. After that my recovery wasn't typical because I got a wound infection that spoilt everything! It was hard going though. Can't beat about the bush there I am afraid! I was never in masses of pain, more uncomfortable really. But the loss of nerve pain was compensation enough!

From my reading elsewhere the MD recovery is much shorter and tends to be easier. Typically expect 12 weeks off work with fusion, 3-4 with MD. That's the difference really. I felt a lot better 6 months post op until the signs of infection began to rear their heads! I think it is usual to take anywhere up to 1-2 years to fully recover from fusion.

If you want anymore info, help etc please shout.

Helen
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi suzy

Just popping in to say I am still thinking of you and good luck for when you see your gp for further results.

Love juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi suzy

I am so late on here and ashamed - i wondered why you were AWOl form teh book club :oops:

So I have read this from beginning to end and am horrified for you :shock:

I BET you just wanted to go home :( I would have too

I really wish I could help you - you are having such a dreadful time. I hope the GP can work it all out for you and suss out what is going to 'be done' to help.

In the mean time love and hugs from me

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thinking of you, Suzygirl. I hope the trend is upwards.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hi again,

I meant to say (forgetful - blame the drugs!) that the injections probably didn't make things worse. Probably just coincidence. Or it could be that some muscles that were stabilising by being in spasm relaxed after the injections and so the disc prolapsed? My guess is that it is just that you were unlucky.

I hope the GP can shed more light on your situation and that you get to have whatever surgery is needed quickly so that you can get on with recovering. I am thining of you and worrying for you. (())

Helen
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks all.

I had to go food shopping yesterday afternoon, cupboard was bare :shock: , pain was awful after. Today I am wiped out and resting, no way could I have made it to my sons footie match. Yes, I feel that ill :wink:

My right leg is much weaker and the nerve pain definitely worse since the injections. Frogmella, your suggestion would make sense. I will wait till better physically, then make an appt with my gp to see what happens next. I do have my pain clinic appt at the end of the month, where I can discuss it all as well.

Hospital upped my gabapentin to 900mg 3x daily, and gave me oramorph if needed.

Feeling very tearful over how bad my walking is, as it is such a struggle and so exhausting to lift leg and foot. I suppose the neuro rehab will help with that, hope it isn't too long a wait. I am being monitored, so it isn't as if I have been left which is a good thing.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes, it is much appreciated. Frogmorton I am working my way through several books :wink:
  • SheilaD
    SheilaD Member Posts: 201
    Options
    Oh Suzygirl

I am so sorry, did not see your post till just now. I would like to Thank you very much for taking the time to try and help my itchy position when your ill in hospital :oops: . I hope you make a quick and full recovery.

Love n hugs
    SheilaD xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Thinking of you Suzy.Mig
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hey Suzy you really are suffering! I have phone consultations with my G.P saves me going in to see her all the time, does your G.P do these? It might just help you if they do. Oromorph is a good painkiller but be careful with the coming off it! You have to go cold turkey (See my topic from last year around this time of year!). Glad your reading books, can't wait for the reviews on book club! Take care hun, stay strong!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm still thinking of you, Suzygirl. In future, please send Mr S out with a shopping list. I know the supermarket 'won't have' half the items on it (Mine once, allegedly, had no sugar :roll: ) but you will be able to stay with your feet up. Or shop online. I don't but many do. (())
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Awww, I hope you are feeling better, you are allowed to feel down when facing a barage of things going wrong. Big hugs, LV xx

PS I'm with Sticky on the get a shopper or internet shopping done next time.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Sticky, you had me laughing out loud when I read your post. I am sure we are married to twins :lol::lol::lol:

It is exactly the reason I had to go, that he comes back with most of list missing but a lot of bread and beans :shock: He thinks most of what I buy is not necessary :roll:

I have tried shopping online before, but the produce would arrive all with the same date on it and dodgy fruit and veg. So I gave up, it was infuriating.

Feeling fluey today and very cold which is so unlike me, my temp is 35 :? Keeping warm and planning on ringing gp tomorrow.