arthritis benefit entitlements

Options
nicetomeetu
nicetomeetu Member Posts: 63
edited 4. Oct 2012, 11:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I don't know if anybody can give some advice. Basically, I am on job seeker's allowance and been for interviews but not had much luck yet. Due to my mobility problems, I am only able to hold down a desk job. I have done office work in the past, so I know what to expect. My question is does anybody know if i would be able to claim ESA instead, because even though I would still be in the looking for work category, the bit of extra money would really help me? I often have to get a taxi from town otherwise I would not be able to carry my shopping home.

Any feedback would be welcome. Maybe someone has applied themselves and been successful. I have already applied for DLA and was unsuccesful.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Nicetomeetu

The only advice I have is seek help from either DIAL, the CAB or such like to help you get all the paper work right.

I don't claim esa but do know its best to get help with filling in the form. Good luck and nictomeetu2 Cris x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi nicetomeetu
    Sorry I dont have any advice, but I am sure others have...I just want to say good luck with it and please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice both. I will certainly look into it. One thing I am sure of is that my arthritis is getting worse and I need help, both financially and looking for jobwise. I have osteoarthritis of major joints. I have been soldiering on in denial myself. It's hard to accept that yes I have a disability and yes I need help.

I am on the workp rogramme through job centre and I feel they are just pushing me and pushing me now, when I need support myself. I have to go much further afield to look for work, when the reality is it's torture even going into my own town centre.

I am so fatigued. I fell asleep on sofa and woke at 12pm but still exhausted, so I don't know maybe it's time for another trip to the docs. Also I was thinking of speaking to a disability advisor at the job centre. Anybody been through that route?

xxxx :)
  • Ryedaledigger
    Ryedaledigger Member Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi Yes go and see the dis adviser and ask if you can claim DLA as well. Remember to tell the adviser what your life is like on your bad days, this is very important. You might have to fill in a very long form but ask them if they can help you with this. Hope you have a good visit. TTFN Steve
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Thank you Steve,

I was thinking too, maybe I need to make an appointment with the disability advisor. I did apply for DLA two years ago. It was denied and I didn't have the fight in me to appeal. In the meantime, not only have my symptoms worsened, but I am suffering from depression and fatigue.

I don't know which route I will go down. I am sure of one thing, I will do something about it and when I do I will let you good people know.

:) xx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I think - though not sure - that you need to be in severe pain when walking 50 metres or less to get the mobility component of DLA. First question; what's severe pain? I read it as "If it hurts, it really hurts". But many of us with OA are so used to pain that we get used to it and almost forget how bad it is. We're stoics - but when you apply for benefits you should tell it like it is.

Seriously, apply again. Get someone like the disability advisor or the Citizens Advice Bureau to help you with the form - or do what I did and do REALLY THOROUGH internet research before filling it in (and I got it, in what sounds like a similar situation). And if it's refused, then definitely appeal. And if you're a driver, apply for a Blue Badge too. You have a right to these things; make sure you get them, and good luck.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi pet get back to your docs asap and get a dx from him how much your OA has moved on, remember it is 2 years since you applied for DLA, now apply again all you have to do is just say it as it is but put as much information down as you can it doesn't matter if you think it is trivial write it down, ie your tiredness depression every bit of pain you have write it down, i get the top disality allowance albeit it is for my neurological condition not my OA, I started at the bottom when I first applied and if I remember it was about a year and a half later when my condition got worse I applied again and got the top disability allowance, as for ESA probably best bet would be the CAB I'm fighting for income support at the moment a long story so can't help you on that sorry, if you do apply for DLA and need any advice about forms give me a shout I will help you as much as I can..........tc...........Marie xx,
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Thank you Helen and Marie,

For your advice. It's really appreciated. Will keep you posted when I decide to approach the powers that be.

:D
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    if its affecting your mobility that much then u should be able to get DLA.
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Hi Izzy,

You would think so wouldn't you. Unfortunately there is no way of measuring pain. If I can manage so many steps etc in an X amount of time I don't qualify. Doesn't matter if each step is agony and I walk with an obvious limp.

PS: Not that I am a fast walker, far from it.

:)
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I wrote this back in 2007 when I was having a bad time.

The Message of Pain

The pain the pain take it away
    Give me some respite just for one day
    It’s not my fault my joints are worn
    I have had it since the day I was born

The ills and spills I had as a tot
    Had something to do with all the rot
    Perhaps it was planned before I was hatched
    Or am I just one of a bad batch

I still have the pain in my old age
    But to date I haven’t gone into a rage
    I hope today will be the last
    And tomorrow all the pain has passed

At last I have been given the drug Rituximab,
    Discovered by the clever boffins in the lab.
    Is this the answer to an arthritics dream?
    Removing all the B cells from their bloodstream.

Arfa
  • villier
    Options
    arfaitis wrote:
    I wrote this back in 2007 when I was having a bad time.

The Message of Pain

The pain the pain take it away
    Give me some respite just for one day
    It’s not my fault my joints are worn
    I have had it since the day I was born

The ills and spills I had as a tot
    Had something to do with all the rot
    Perhaps it was planned before I was hatched
    Or am I just one of a bad batch

I still have the pain in my old age
    But to date I haven’t gone into a rage
    I hope today will be the last
    And tomorrow all the pain has passed

At last I have been given the drug Rituximab,
    Discovered by the clever boffins in the lab.
    Is this the answer to an arthritics dream?
    Removing all the B cells from their bloodstream.

Arfa

Love the poem Arfa x
    day is full of Smiles
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have some news. Today was my sign day for job seekers at the job centre,on and I blurted everything out to my advisor, about my pain getting worse., fatigue etc. She was very empathetic and signed me off straight away whilst I sort out a sick note and claim for ESA. I will still be looking for a job, but in my own time, without the added pressure.

I can't tell you what a weight has been lifted from my shoulders just by taking that first step. I could not have done it without each and every one of you behind me. Every encouraging word, every bit of advice gave me courage.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

:) xxxx

Arfa,

I like your pain poem.
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Is there anyone here on ESA? It's just that I don't know what to expect. I heard it's a long form and medicals and even then it could be rejected. Everything just an uphill struggle.

Thanks in advance
  • Ryedaledigger
    Options
    Pleased most of your stress have gone now make time for your self and take a breather. Yes the form is a long one but take your time to fill it in and most important make copies as you will need them when you go and see a medical adviser. Also, if you can afford it, get a doctors note explaining your symptoms that will help you. You should get advise from job center dis/adviser on claiming DLA.
    Remember you have a medical condition and you are asking for help to cope with it.
    TTFN Steve
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Thank you steve,

I thought I was sorted but just don't know. These people make you jump through hoops to get a bit of support.

I thought ESA was going to be straight forward. I just feel like sitting in a corner with my arms around myself doing nothing.

I still want to get a job, I just wanted them to ease the pressure and recognise I have a disability and can't run around like a headless chicken and to stop putting me in the same category as 20 somethings with their health and energy. They expect me to apply for jobs to other towns, where i would have to travel on the train to work for 40 mins, then from there, travel by bus or walk to place of work wherever that may be. I would be exhausted by the end of the day, let alone do that for a whole week at a time. They have sent me to interviews to places, where I have had to walk uphill to reach and I have literally felt my hip would dislocate and had been exhausted for days after just one visit.

Sorry for moaning, I never used to be like this.

xx
  • Ryedaledigger
    Options
    Not a problem to moan chuck but I have another idea. Have you a good GP and can you talk to him about your "emotional stress" you are going though. If so can they support you appying for the ESA sickness part of this benefit. Within the first 13 weeks you will have to have a number of tests but they are easy as long as you tell them about your worce days.
    I dont know your age but there is a number of support agencies who can help. On the internet -: Adviceguide, Arthritis care.org, Arthritis researchuk.org. Also try the benefits line on DWP benefits advise also a good site to look is Turn2us.org.uk I have used this alot and so has my other arthriris sufferers I have contact with.
    You have got to go though alot just to get them to understand your symptoms. We had help from Carers UK they filled all our forms in and we had a couple of months for the benefits to click in but we got there in the end.
    I hope you have the strenght to stand up to them sending you for work when you arn't capable to but stick with it, most of us with the dreaded condition have had to go though this terrible bureaucracy.
    Take a deep breath and go for it, take no prisoners.
    TTFN Steve
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Hi Steve and thank you,

I am 47. Reading through the posts it saddens me the amount of red tape good, honest people have to go through to get what they are entitled to. I have worked fulltime in the past and paid my taxes. Today I am the one who needs help, only until I find a job that I can do.

I will look at those links you sent and thank you once again for your time.

:) xx
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Also,

The ESA test is ridiculous by the sounds of it. If they ask me to pick a penny, put my hand above my shoulders, stand on one foot, or whatever, of course I am going to be able to do that and fail at the first hurdle.

Nothing like having limited mobility due to pain or fatigue and depression are going to matter. It seems really unfair.

Oh I don't know people who persevere, and appeal etc, I salute you all, you are very courageous people.
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just to say I have today applied for ESA. I have made an appy with my doc for tomorro to sort out sick note. I need the extra support so thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

xx
  • villier
    Options
    Hi pet

Good for you, keep us updated how you go, you know if your struggling there is always people around to give you support and advice hope things go your way........tc.......Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Thanks Marie,

I will keep everyone updated. For now atleast a weight has been lifted. Recently when I have tried to fill a job application online my concentration not even been there, I have been literally exhausted, body, mind and all.

Have a good day now.

xxxx :)
  • PowerOn
    PowerOn Member Posts: 200
    Options
    Hello nicetomeetu,
    We are in the same boat, I would like some information on this topic too, except I sign on for JSA and have a part time job which I am finding ever more difficult.
    The extra bit of money from working is lovely, anything I earn over £20 is taken off my benefit which is ok as that is less for the tax payer to pay out.
    Not sure how long I will be able to keep in work though as I am a zero hours employee so my employers have no obligation to me and just have to not ask me to go to work again.
    Also there are rumours the place will close soon so ill or not no more work.
    I hope you get sorted soon, please let me know if you get sorted as I may have to ask this question soon myself, not great for the self esteem having to give in.
    Best joke I ever read, "With that information and a diagnosis of spondylosis, your doctor can develop a treatment plan‏" or back in reality totally ignore you. Is ok I have a sense of humour and a boxing glove, not defeated yet.
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Hi Poweron,

Good for you doing bit of part time. I see what you mean about it being zero hours, not v secure. I hope you keep getting enough work to earn £20 for yourself.

As for ESA hun I don't have a clue what hurdles they will make me jump over yet. You here so many scare stories about it being a mission. When I phoned today to apply, I was put through to a nice lady and that helps even at this initial state. I promise I will keep you informed.

xx :)
  • nicetomeetu
    Options
    Poweron,

Sorry, I misread your message, you are finding it hard to carry on with the part time and there is me hoping you get more work.

You can tell I am not well, can't you.
    BTW it's good you have a sense of humour, I used to once upon a time.

:)