New knee 28th December

Options
caroldeeg
caroldeeg Member Posts: 51
edited 13. Jan 2013, 09:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I will be having a TKR on 28th December. I had my first one 9 years ago at 52. I had a shoulder done almost 2 years ago, Does this make me bionic ? Think of the fun I will have trying to explain this lot at the airport.
I have to laugh or I will get really nervous,

Comments

• ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Great start to the new year for you! All good wishes for Christmas and hope all goes well.

Shula
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Caroldeeg

I call me dad bionic as he has TKR and THR and he bleeps at airport...So you qualify for bionic status too methinks...Having just had TKR meself age 44 8 weeks ago im rather looking forward to bleeping at airport....
    I wish you all the best for your operation...Enjoy your christmas.....

Elainexx
    caroldeeg wrote:
    I will be having a TKR on 28th December. I had my first one 9 years ago at 52. I had a shoulder done almost 2 years ago, Does this make me bionic ? Think of the fun I will have trying to explain this lot at the airport.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I hope it goes really well for you. At least you'll have plenty of distractions between now and then :) I think airport security are used to us metal people.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wish you the very best of luck with it, at least you know what you are in for (as it were :wink: ) and I hope it all goes smoothly. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I really do wish you well with the TKR..not long at all to wait..dont forget we will all be there for you ...in spirit don't worry we wont be cluttering up the wards...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Just to wish you all the best for your op and hope all goes well. We will all be on pocket duties if needed. Have a good Christmas. Beryl
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Conversation at airport security on the way to Madeira last month, after I set off the bleeps big time....

Do you have any metal joints?

Yes, knees

Which one?

Both.

Wow, you didn't have them done together, did you?

Yes, last July; This is my holiday to celebrate.

Good idea, you got it all over with at once, and now you can have a nice holiday.

Yep!!!

Then she did the frisking bit, still chatting. Some of them are human after all.
  • caroldeeg
    Options
    Thanks for the good wishes. I will keep u all posted on progress
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    caroldeeg wrote:

Hi Carol

Just wanted to wish you well for your TKR. Do let us know how you go on,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Good luck with your op , you will get some great support on here xx
  • caroldeeg
    Options
    It's now 4 days post op. the physio terrorists will be around soon so I will keep this brief . Swelling massive. Knee bled a lot but its improving. I can just about get to the bathroom. About 6 feet from my bed so walking not doing too well. When I had my first one done I was able to walk on day 2
    but not this time & it hurts like hell .
    Hopefully it will improve soon
    Happy new year to u all
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hello Caroldeeg
    happy new year good luck with your tkr i had mine 10 years ago.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good, I am sorry. :( I had something similar happen to me after my first synovectomy and I remember well the pain, swelling and the physio 'terrorists' (love it!) moaning at me for not trying hard enough (37 staples, a massive bandage, pain?) They got short shrift from me! Good luck, I hope that things soon settle down, cossett your new joint as much as you can (and are allowed). DD
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    In my case it made no difference how hard the Physio torturers made me work the result was the same, lots of pain and ended up with a stiff and sore joint.

I couldn't raise my right foot/leg off the floor for more than a week but it just came back as if by magic.

I think you can work too hard in the first few weeks and that only makes the suffering worse. You should let the knee/leg do some healing gradually before starting the hard and painful work.

Ice every few hours for 20 mins at a time and a short walk every hour.

If there is more swelling then more ice.

Anti inflammatory tablets worked for me to get the swelling down, don't forget to take your pain relief.

Good luck.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Carol

I hope you get better soon and the swelling and hurt subsides...I dont know why they dont advocate ice in hospitals for swelling/bruising...I had mine from bum to ankle after my TKR!!

Happy new year!

Elainexx
    caroldeeg wrote:
    It's now 4 days post op. the physio terrorists will be around soon so I will keep this brief . Swelling massive. Knee bled a lot but its improving. I can just about get to the bathroom. About 6 feet from my bed so walking not doing too well. When I had my first one done I was able to walk on day 2
    but not this time & it hurts like hell .
    Hopefully it will improve soon
    Happy new year to u all
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I got ice packs in hospital, but they never seemed to have enough for all of us. :cry:
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Carol. Hope you are feeling a little better and the pain is subsiding a little for you. Take care. Beryl
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    You can get ice packs at the chemist. I did when in hospital, had to 'cos the ice machine was broke.

There was an assortment of frozen produce in my ward, most of it Birds Eye frozen peas :D The staff would freeze them in the freezer compartment of their fridge. :)

There are gel packs that you can either freeze or warm in the microwave.
  • acheyaudball
    acheyaudball Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hope your healing better. :)
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hope you're healing better now. I had a second TKR in November, and like you had much more swelling and bleeding (and bruising) than the first time - although I could stand up and get to the loo (with crutches) I could barely move the leg otherwise and it took a good two weeks before I could lift my foot even a few centimetres off the bed. Remember too, that because you've been through it before you "know the drill" and may be pushing your new knee too hard, and therefore getting more pain. Take care and good luck with those terrorists!
  • chookgate
    Options
    blueknees wrote:

There was an assortment of frozen produce in my ward, most of it Birds Eye frozen peas :D The staff would freeze them in the freezer compartment of their fridge. :)

That's quite shocking really, our hospital's orthopaedic ward had plenty of "cryo cuffs" available - one for eack tkr patient. These velcro around your knee and the nurse/nursing assistant fills them with iced water. And they were pretty religious about re-filling it for you several times a day.
  • chookgate
    edited 7. Jan 2013, 07:30
    Options
    I meant also to say that [link edited] have a really good selection of ice packs in different sizes - both "instant" (which are useful to take to work) and reusable gel filled that can be frozen or microwaved for using as heat packs. They seemed competitively priced to me, and have really speedy delivery.

House Rule 2. The forum is not a shop so please don’t advertise or promote products and services on the forum in any way
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I was quite happy with my special bag of knee peas (for use at home). They draped beautifully, re-froze easily, and were a 'renewable' source of coolth. After my synovectomy physio sessions my knee would be surrounded by an inflatable cuff, iced water poured in and the cuff inflated. Brilliant. The effects of that would last for about two hours whereas with the peas the effect was immediately undone by walking to the freezer to replace them!

Hi Carol, how are things going now? I hope all is as well as it can be. DD
  • caroldeeg
    Options
    Hi peeps

I am starting to feel a bit more like me now. It's 10 days now since the op and the swelling has gone down a bit. Still very painful but I can get around my flat on crutches and managed to make a cup of tea today !
    I'm going to see the physio terrorists in Wednesday for my first session with them . I won't allow them to push me around. I've had enough of that .
    I even told one particularly pushy one that before he started telling me how bad I was he should try having a TKR himself. Never saw him
    Again I wonder why?
    Thanks for the feedback it all helps
    Carol
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Carol, This is the 1st time I've posted to you as I was away sunning my little self in the Carabbean so .... Your doing well getting around your flat so quick after op so that's positive! good for you my dear! :wink: You make sure you do only what you can when you see the physio terrorists as you call them! Love the name!! :lol: Keep us informed, your doing great Carol!! :wink::)