Can you lead a full life after a TKR.

barry2013
barry2013 Member Posts: 151
edited 19. Mar 2013, 18:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am 60 years young and took early retirement in Aug of last year, we brought our new Park Home on a lovely site in the Lincolnshire Wolds with the aim to enjoy a active retirement, however my knees have taken a turn for the worst much earlier than I hopped and I am going in for a TKR on Feb 12th. Several people on our site have had TKR's and they make different comments as to how much of a normal one can lead afterwards. I understand recovery can take up to a year but after that can I look forward to getting back on my bike, I really enjoy my cycling and the thought that I may have to give it up feels me with dread, likewise I love to garden and was looking forward to building a new garden. Will I be able to kneel or not, once again folk tell me different thing's. I am looking forward to getting a new knee but the fear of the unknown does worry me.
Best wishes.
Barry.

Comments

• Mutley1964
    Mutley1964 Member Posts: 19
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Barry!
    Not sure if I'm the best person to reply so hopefully someone with more wisdom will be along shortly! I've just had my knee replaced at 47 and I had to weigh up the pro's/con's of a TKR versus the pain I was in everyday with my naff knee. I didn't have a choice as I certainly couldn't put up with any more pain. I know there will be a few limitations on what I can do in the future but to me, I was prepared to accept those limitations to be pain free. My neighbour had his knee replaced at 83. He's now 87 and I bumped into him on my crutches, while he was whizz ing up the road on his bike :-) It certainly hasn't stopped him & I frequently see him in the garden or digging up the concrete in his drive-way! I personally believe that if you were fit & active before, why shouldn't you be afterwards? Obviously you have to take a bit more care & maybe even think about what your going to do! Some surgeons suggest that you shouldn't kneel after a TKR where as others suggest a way that you would be able to kneel without causing any damage to your new knee, although that wouldn't be for some time afterwards. Everyone is different & every persons recovery & abilities afterwards will be different. I have a feeling, like myself, the lack of pain afterwards will make up for a garden re-built totally by yourself! Get some of those neighbours of yours to come & give you a hand :-) Wishing you all the very best for Feb 12th and hope your back on that bike in due course!
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Hi Barry. I'm 64, had TKRs (both knees replaced together....hence the forum name) last July. I can kneel with no problem; I still have a little trouble getting up again and have to use my hands a lot, but that's hardly an issue, and is getting better. I tend to use a kneeling cushion in the garden, but if I forget it really doesn't bother me much. I'm not a cyclist, but I use an exercise bike, and I'm sure I could cycle if I tried as my legs both bend normally, ie right back; I can almost sit back on my heels when kneeling, though not quite.

But that's me. As you say, everyone is different, and I've been very, very fortunate. I have no idea if it's luck, a good surgeon, doing lots of yoga before and after (as soon as I could), or natural good flexibility and strength. I suspect all of the above.

Like you, I was concerned before my op. I put it off as long as possible in case things went wrong. And all I can say is, I feel like I've got my life back and I really wish I'd had them done earlier...though I suspect the NHS in this area wouldn't have let me. My new knees still ache now and then, but basically they feel completely normal and I often forget I've had them done.

I don't know how much help that all is, but good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed that your TKR works out as well as mine have.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Fear of the unknown is the worst kind of fear. I'm the lucky recipient of 3 TKRs and every one has been great but my OA was a result of RA so, even with spanking new knees, I was never going to go hell for leather at stuff. If your body is basically OK with 2 duff knees then I see no reason why you can't resume most normal activities in time. I think cycling is actually supposed to be good exercise for them.

The way to get the most out of them is to do the prescribed pre-op and post-op exercises, not rush into anything afterwards and just ease them gently back to normal life. You may read of some who've had problems but remember that the people who have no problems don't come on this site as they're out living life with their new TKRs, THRs or whatever.

The one caveat I would have is that, if you're unsure whether or not you'd be better with replacement joints, maybe your own have still got a bit of mileage in them. I've never had any doubts before my ops. Every time mine were truly knackered :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Barry, I am 62 now and I have had both knees replaced two years apart. It was 2008 and 2010 if my memory serves me correctly. I can only give a reply based on how I got on and my answer is yes, yes, yes, and I can kneel too. I use my bicycle no problem. It did take about 9 months post op for me each time.

The only problem I had recently was compression of the spinal cord and I had the op. The compression had done damage which affects my walking some days worse than others with a few other things thrown in too but regarding the knees A***.

I wish you all the very best.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Hi Barry , the answer to your question is YES :D , I'm six months in from having my right knee replaced (I'm 49) and can do 5 mile walks (on all surfaces including boot sucking mud lol ) with no pain at all :D , its been tough I won't lie to you and I do have many other issues with this leg due to smashing it to pieces in 1988 , I had to have the ankle fused (very sucsefully ) 3 yrs ago and have muscle and ligament shortening which is causing me difficulty in getting it straight and more bend BUT its fully functional for what I want to do and no pain , which was the main aim , so don't worry , have it done and enjoy being pain free :lol: x
  • barry2013
    Thanks everyone, I am really happy to have the op, like other folk, the pain and lack of things I can do make it a no brainer. I am quite happy to write off this year, if I can then lead a full life. One thing I don't quite understand is I haven't been given any pre op exercises to do, I have my pre op tests etc on Feb 1st, up to the snow falling I was able to do a four mile bike ride in easy gears and hopefully once snow has gone get out again.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Pre-op exercises are the same as post-op, e.g. straight-leg raises; put a pillow under the affected knee, point your toes to the ceiling then tighten your quad muscles so your calf and foot rise; knee slides, i.e. put a plastic bag inder the heel of the affected foot, lie back and bend the knee then straighten (the plastic means it slides easier on the bed) and (the absolute killer for me) stand with your back against a wall, slide into a sitting position then rise again. :shock:

I haven't ridden a bike since 1999 and haven't knelt since 1997. Neither of these will happen even if I do get two new knees because the rest of my leg joints are shot to bits. If you have been cycling a fiar bit then your muscles should be pretty good anyway. I am sure that, if you are sensible post-op and don't do too much too fast, all will go very well for you indeed. Good luck! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    I wasn't given any pre op exercises either Barry , although I got in pretty quickly after seeing my consultant and him realizing how much pain I was in , I had a bit more bend and straightness than I have now but I would say if you can get them quads in shape it would be an advantage ! , trouble is my levels of fitness had dropped right off because I just couldn't exercise like I had been but as long as you try and stay as active as you can , ie, biking and the exercises DD told you about then you will be fine :D
  • Helenbothknees
    I wasn't given any pre-op exercises either. I went to my pre-op assessment and got offered an operation date two days later; they'd had a cancellation!

I meant to say, I put my recovery down partly to starting to exercise immediately after the op, as soon as the anaesthetic wore off. I'd been given a list of what to do, and I did it as instructed, even though I felt pretty awful.

I got an excellent book, Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation, soon after my op, and I'd thoroughly recommend it. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by giving you the link to it on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/TOTAL-KNEE-REPLACEMENT-AND-REHABILITATION/dp/0897934393/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358769930&sr=8-1 It's written by a surgeon and a physio who's had two knees replaced himself, and it has loads of exercises and other useful info; I wished I'd bought it earlier.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, although as sticky said, I and others like me don't come on here very often as we're getting on with life...
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Barry

Hell yes! If my dad is anything to go by...He will be 81 this month and had his TKR 4 years ago...He does most things, gardening, DIY, fixes household items which involves getting down (he does put his new knee out straight behind him and goes down on his good knee)...He goes on holiday and doesn't ask for assisted travel, walks quite happily once there for quite some distances...
    Most consultants say you can kneel but id say id not want to..Dad has and ive had my TKR 12weeks ago but he says its a horrible feeling kneeling on it...Others may say different...Cycling is supposed to be excellent for knees...

Good Luck

Elainexx
  • barry2013
    Thanks Helen, I will look into getting book.
  • barry2013
    Hi Helen, have ordered book, should get it in around two weeks.
    Barry.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Barry the others have said it all,I bet you are glad you came on this forum...they are a lovely lot...and I do wish you well with the new knee....it wont be long and just think you will be getting something like for summer in the lovely Lincolnshire wolds...we usually take our GC to Butlins in Skegness.. :D not far away
    You take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Good luck with your new knee(s). Don't write off a full year, work hard at the physio after the surgery - well do as the physiotherapists advise - take pain killers so that you can do the exercises in the first few weeks when you will still have pain. After a few weeks you should be able to cycle on an exercise bike with the saddle set high (not out on the road because it won't be safe to have the saddle set too high), then after 6-12 weeks you should be cycling normally again. I think 12 weeks is recommended, mainly to ensure you have good balance and range of motion in the knee. Post surgery I was told I would need a 90 degree bend before they'd let me out of hospital, I managed 87 degrees by the morning of the third day so they let me out! I think they just want to be convinced you will work at the exercises! I think you need a 110 degree bend for comfortable cycling, but how quickly you achieve that will depend on how much range of motion you have pre-surgery. My pre-surgery bend was just about 90 degrees (but nowhere near able to get the leg straight), but I managed the 110 (and perfectly straight) by 6 weeks (painfully, but I got there!)

I'm 8 weeks post one new knee and 5 months post the other, and I was going to restart cycling to work this week - but the snow has stalled my plans!
  • barry2013
    Good luck with your cycling to work, once the snow has gone, would love to hear how you get on. Barry.
  • barry2013
    I have decieded today to set myself a challenge for life after my TKR, I have entered a 50 mile for May 26th, off course I will take notice of my doctor's, but I fell I need something to aim for even if I don't make it.
  • elnafinn
    Hi Barry

Is that cycling or walking? I presume you mean in 2014 and not this year?

I wish you well,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    OK I had a new knee 6 months ago and it has failed. My consultant has told me I am one of a small number of people whose op looks fine but developed chronic pain and struggle with my mobility.

I need the left one doing but reluctant to do that now I have had this bad experience.

The consultant told me before the op that he feared I may end up with a stiff joint. I thought it was just the usual pre op warning that really means nothing but in my case his fears were true.

He will not re-do the knee 'cos that could cause more harm than good so here I am stuck with a bad knee joint that is very painful and a lot worse that the OA was before.

Good luck and take care :)
  • elnafinn
    Aw Blueknees, I am so sorry to hear your story. There are others on the forum who have had a bad experience post TKR and my heart goes out to you all. It is not by any means automatic that we always come out better after an operation. It is the unknown and however good the surgeon is, how ever many ops he/she has performed, however many success stories we hear, one can only have hope and trust that all will be well.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x

• chookgate
    barry2013 wrote:
    I have decieded today to set myself a challenge for life after my TKR, I have entered a 50 mile for May 26th, off course I will take notice of my doctor's, but I fell I need something to aim for even if I don't make it.

Wow, that's ambitious if it's May this year - you should be cycling by then if your surgery is soon, but 50 miles ...?

My exercise bike cycling is going well - I'm obviously not as fit as you though, I'm managing 15 minutes a day quite comfortably with my two new knees bending enough to have the saddle at the correct height (it's actually tougher than cycling outdoors - you don't get any freewheel sections :D ) Still waiting for the snow to go - the roads are just too busy for me, and the cycle paths are very lumpy skating rinks. Luckily my ride to work is just short of only 2 miles so maybe next week.
  • chookgate
    blueknees wrote:
    OK I had a new knee 6 months ago and it has failed. My consultant has told me I am one of a small number of people whose op looks fine but developed chronic pain and struggle with my mobility.
    I'm really sorry to hear that blueknees, as well as the pain, it must be very disappointing and depressing. Has the consultant told you exactly why it failed and whether the same circumstances would apply to the other knee? I'm no expert, but I'd guess there was more wrong in your knee than just the bone and cartilege (which is all the artificial knee replaces), stuff they probably can't assess until they get in there, and maybe your other knee would be a better candidate?

Hope things get better for you and your knees.
  • barry2013
    Hi Blueknees, really sorry to hear your story, guess we all things can go wrong but that doesn't help you, fingers crossed life gets better for you.
    Barry.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    barry2013 wrote:

I'm sorry to be a dampener, Barry, but that strikes me as crazy. I've had 3 TKRs. The first one lasted 27 years and was replaced 3 years ago. The other one is still going 30 years on.

For my money there are two ways that the patient can scupper a good TKR op. One is by not doing enough exercises and the other is by doing too much. You need a balance and, if you focus on something other than just doing your best for that knee at that time, the perspective will be lost. By all means aim to getting back to a 50 miler at some point but don't put yourself under unnecessary pressure. That's the last thing you need.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    After a lot of thought, I'm inclined to agree with Sticky. The thought was needed because I had people trying to hold me back after my TKRs and thinking I was doing too much - I dug the garden a little, abandoned my crutches, found I could drive OK but didn't because I wasn't sure of the insurance implications...all within a few weeks of the surgery.

BUT - and I think this is a very big but - I KNEW I could do all this. Some people on here may disagree, and certainly did then, but I was listening to my body. That's the important thing. And sometimes, and in some ways, progress seemed painfully slow. I think the pressure of a goal like you've set yourself would be detrimental to the slow, steady recovery you get (with a certain amount of work/luck). To put it bluntly, in my opinion you're almost bound to fail, and you don't need that.

Slow down just a smidge. You've been told a year to full recovery; I was told a year to 18 months. I think from my experience, and asking others on and off this forum, that that's about right. Set that 50 mile cycle goal for 2014, and go for it!
  • elnafinn
    Hi Barry

By all means have goals and something to aim for but get the op over first. See how things are going. Smaller goals would be much better and easier and by all means have that challenge in mind but (surely you do not mean this year) it could be in 2015 or even the following year. There are many goals to achieve post op from a TKR. You have to become friends with your new knee first which takes time like any friendship. It took me 9 months both times.

As my fantastic surgeon kept telling me it is a major operation and like Helen says I was also told it can take up to 18 months to sort itself out. It took less for me but it is a good time limit to keep at the back of one's mind when recovery is not perhaps always going as fast as one would like.

Elna x