Options
124»

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there :)

It is great to be back home isn't it? :) Everyone is different regarding the exercising and how often. Three times a day sounds good but you will most definitely know if/when you have done too much. Annoying though it is, it is then one step back for a day or so with lots of icing, elevating and sleeping/resting. Give way to rest and sleep, it is nature's way to aid healing.

I think you can just look at your exercise bike at the moment. ;) No doubt you will have physio put in place now you are back home. Think mine kicked in about a week later. The guidance from the physio in hospital kept me busy in getting the knee more supple to start with the next lot of physio advice.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    My physio told me to do a set of each exercise 3-4 times a day at first - after a couple of weeks though, he said do two sets 3 times a day. It's pretty exhausting and hard to remember you've just been through major surgery. I was very tired for weeks after. As Helen says, ideally do the exercises as much as possible, but rest if the swelling starts to increase. Remember to ice your knee after each set of exercises as well.

I seem to remember I started on the exercise bike at about 4 weeks post surgery, but with the saddle set high (which means you can't put a lot of effort into the cycling, but does mean you have more chance of getting your leg round!). I read somewhere that you shouldn't start until 6 weeks post surgery though. Be guided by your physiotherapist.
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Tomorrow is 5 weeks since my TKR, my physio had me doing 2 sets of exercises per day with as much walking as I was happy with. I started going to the gym last week to use their excerise bike, I can easily do 15 mins every other day, I feel I could get back onto road bike, but will leave that till end of april, hopefully weather will improve by then. I think it's a good idea to take advice but at the end we are the ones who know our bodies and like Helen says when our knees hurt we stop ice and rest.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Barry.
  • lakedistrictgardener
    lakedistrictgardener Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Barry, hope you are strong enough to be a mentor!! You are about a month ahead of me, so I am watching everything you do, and it is giving me a boost. You seem really motivated. The last long distance walk I did was in France two years ago 'the tour of the Queras' I was beating myself up for a while, thinking, 'if only I had know that would be the last one'. Now, listening to all you guys I think I am going to live to fight another day. Thanks to you all.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Solarcycles

I just wanted to say I am glad you have found a consultant who can offer you relief...I had to go to Wrightington to get my 2nd opinion for my TKR at age of 44 but I guess it depends on who you see, but you saw lots of consultants, sometimes they all stick to the same opinions...I was lucky my one never saw the same as my local one who wanted to take my kneecaps out and i knew that wasn't right....The important thing is you have a solution in place now so good luck to you!

Elainexx
    Hi everyone just joined this forum and was intrigued by this thread as I'm due to have a PKR with autologous extensor mechanism augmentation, due having a previous patellectomy some 25 years ago. I too use to be a keen hillwalker and mountain biker until the pain from arthritis got too much for me. My date for the op is the 28th of March with my pre-op due tomorrow.

It's been a very long and difficult time for me, due to trying to find a consultant who would operate it on me due to me having no patella. I went to Wrightington hospital and each consultant I saw just referred me too another, until the the final one said "It doesn't matter how bad it is or gets, I won't operate on you due to you having no patella". Anyhow I've now find a wonderful consultant based at the Robert Jones And Anges Hunt Hospital and will hopefully be soon making excellent progress in my rehabilitation and be able to reclaim those lost years.
  • SolarCycles1963
    SolarCycles1963 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Solarcycles

I just wanted to say I am glad you have found a consultant who can offer you relief...I had to go to Wrightington to get my 2nd opinion for my TKR at age of 44 but I guess it depends on who you see, but you saw lots of consultants, sometimes they all stick to the same opinions...I was lucky my one never saw the same as my local one who wanted to take my kneecaps out and i knew that wasn't right....The important thing is you have a solution in place now so good luck to you!

Elainexx
    Hi everyone just joined this forum and was intrigued by this thread as I'm due to have a PKR with autologous extensor mechanism augmentation, due having a previous patellectomy some 25 years ago. I too use to be a keen hillwalker and mountain biker until the pain from arthritis got too much for me. My date for the op is the 28th of March with my pre-op due tomorrow.

It's been a very long and difficult time for me, due to trying to find a consultant who would operate it on me due to me having no patella. I went to Wrightington hospital and each consultant I saw just referred me too another, until the the final one said "It doesn't matter how bad it is or gets, I won't operate on you due to you having no patella". Anyhow I've now find a wonderful consultant based at the Robert Jones And Anges Hunt Hospital and will hopefully be soon making excellent progress in my rehabilitation and be able to reclaim those lost years.
    Hi Elaine, who was it you saw at Wrightington if you don't mind me asking. I had my pre-op today and all is well, so it's all systems go for next Thursday 28th. How was/is your recovery getting on, there are so many different stories as to how long it takes too make a full recovery. The Physio today said my own recovery will be somewhat longer than most due to the extra work Im having done and the state of my quad muscles prior to surgery.
  • barry2013
    barry2013 Member Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi Barry, hope you are strong enough to be a mentor!! You are about a month ahead of me, so I am watching everything you do, and it is giving me a boost. You seem really motivated. The last long distance walk I did was in France two years ago 'the tour of the Queras' I was beating myself up for a while, thinking, 'if only I had know that would be the last one'. Now, listening to all you guys I think I am going to live to fight another day. Thanks to you all.

You will be fine, like me you see to enjoy outdoor life and you live in a lovely part of the world, I spent many happy trips to the fells back in the 80's before getting into cycling, take note of the physio, do the exercises and rest and pretty soon you will be back walking in the fells, please PM if you wish to.
    Best wishes.
    Barry.