Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Hello everyone

PaulaJPaulaJ Posts: 10
edited 3. Apr 2013, 17:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my name is Paula and I'm new to this forum. I am 42 years old and have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my thumbs :( . I was recommended to this forum by a lovely lady on the Facebook page, for support and to talk to people who are going through the same thing.

Comments

• dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. I have two forms of arthritis with 39 affected joints, so far however my thumbs are OK (that probably won't last tho. :wink: ) Quite a few on here find that keeping their hands warm helps, as does soaking them in a bowl of warm water first thing to help get things moving. Many swear by hot wax treatments too but I have never tried. If youy post again on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum you will probably garner more replies as more people look in on that bit. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12barbara12 Posts: 20,857
    Hello Paula and a warm welcome to the forum
    Like you I have OA in my thumbs one worse than the other..I had injections in them around 5 months ago..and it has been brilliant....just wearing off now but I am due to see him again.
    You will find lots of info on here and of course support x
    Love
    Barbara
  • PaulaJPaulaJ Posts: 10
    Hi Barbara and DD, thank you so much for your lovely posts. They have really helped. I find heat helps too as I have heat beanbags which I heat up regularly in the microwave. I am still trying different treatment options and I'm sure I am Amazon's best customer at the moment! Tiger Balm helps at times, but hasnt helped during the flare up I have had for the last few days.

I did have steriod injections when I was first diagnosed which helped in one thumb for a few weeks but did nothing for the other thumb. These were not ultrasound guided steriod injections and the orthopaedic consultant I saw said these may be repeated but under ultrasound guidance to obtain a better effect into the correct area.

I hope you are both feeling well at the moment and I look forward to speaking to you again soon.

Best wishes

Paula