smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Life has become a) more interesting and b) more complicated. My lovely cousin spent two hours or so showing a valuer from an auction house around. I am rather pleased that Ma won't know that all her 'treasures' are worthless (skip here we come) but he did find the serial number of the grand piano. It's an Erard and it was made in London between 1800 and 1810. :shock: It's much older than I thought and now I really don't what to do. I could have room for it (I think it's around eight feet in length) and it needs attention but my affection for it is now over-ruling common sense. Crikey. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    DD
    I would be the same and I can't play piano
    Have you thought of donating it to who I don't know sounded better when I thought it but not sure now I've written it :roll:
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I used to play so maybe it could be time to start again but whether my hands would co-operate I don't know. When my dad died in 2002 we tried then to get rid of it but nobody was interested then (including the National Trust) and it's the same story again. No-body has the room, no-one wants the cost of moving it, dealers are not sure, oh I dunno.

I have found pictures on the web of Erards which are very similar to mine. Next to the music stand (which is a pierced design) there are two 'shelves' (also pierced) to each side which slide out. I think they must be for candlelabras - no 'leccy back then! I am probably not going back to work so if I clear my 'office' it could go there. I need the blessing of 'im indoors for that (though if the boot were on the other foot there would be no need for negotiation) but my belovéd is a bit of a philistine :wink: DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Oh DD :(

Mr DD loves you very much so after a bit of thought I hope he will agree with you and it can have a home with you two.

Love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Maybe if you lit the candelabra and spread yourself provocatively over the op (You will need to be 'wearing' a long cigarette in a holder a very little else) Mr DD would be encouraged?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    But you must remember the 'pout' and the ruby red lips :)
    Smile a while and while you smile
    day is full of Smiles
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    That's a difficult one DD. I'd have loved to keep certain things of my Gran's but it wasn't possible. I hope you are able to put it in your office but, if you can't, take photos of it. At least you'll have those to look at.
    Christine
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Not wanting to sound flippant maybe it's time to resurrect the tassels.

Seriously DD you will in the end make the right choice for you and Mr DD.
    Hugs to both (((()))) Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I think I've found a solution (although the wearing nothing but a **** and tassels sounds like a plan :wink: ) which is cannibalise it. I will save the legs and possibly the lid with a view to creating some sort of table. What triggered this thought was being awoken this morning by a 'phone call at 9am (I ask you, 9 am :shock: ) and being told that the cost of restoration would be between 25 and 30 grand for a piano which might be worth 1 or 2 at its completion. Yup. Head has to rule heart. :( DD
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    My giddy aunt :!:
    25 grand for a grand piano :lol:
    My oh my
    Think ill stop now
    I'm getting silly :roll:
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That was only to repair and recondition it! They can go for considerably more - I've been looking at various websites and there are some utter beauties out there. Mine is too but not quite in the same league as the glossy beasts I've been ogling. DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good grief DD that is a lot of poppies for restoration, I like the idea of a table, it will make a nice piece of furniture that you would get the use from and still have a piece of the memories, a good carpenter would be able to do that no problem, you will work it out for the best.....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I truely understand what you mean about your mothers life becoming all paperwork and business like. We went through it with Dad, it's like they become a monetary value which makes it feel so cold and hurts more. I hated going through the probate and estate agent part. And when the estate was being sorted it was like family started coming along that you hadn't seen for ages being all nice and you could see the money signs in their eyes. That angered me so much. What we did was choose something that reminded us of dad his favourite ornament and kept it and it's now pride of place in our home and every time we see it, it reminds us of Dad. I send my love and ((((HUGS)))) to yourself & Elna.