Options
2»

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    I still think your best bet in the first place is to go to the Citizen's Advice or you can ring a helpline they have or send an e-mail and they will reply. If you'd prefer face-to-face contact with an advisor, find out when the opening times are. They are totally confidential, and aim to help you find out all the information you need. They are all trained but are volunteers. I started training and had to stop as my arthritis started playing up!

They have an internet advice line too which you can look up your problem and it will give you some information or tell you best place to go for help. I would think the adviice line on this site would be able to help too. Ring the number at the top of the page and explain. They must have a lot of people in your position. AS for a solicitor, they can be expensive and if you use one find out their charges before going. Some solicitor's give a free consultation of half an hour, but its not really long enough, I found, but that was about something else, so it might be worth a try.

Good Luck, I hope you find the help you need. I've been their and know its a hard and worrying place to be.
    Love Sue
  • debram
    debram Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Thanks Sue- I will try the CAB and the help line again as I have now spoken to a solicitor (free on my home ins) but he did say that work can dismiss me- but not to feel forced to go back but as theyve used the dreaded " CAPABILITY " word with me . But I dont feel like I have a choice.

My new line manager rang me today and I asked him to confirm details of my new role. Its not all I thought it to be-or as discussed on the phone with my old manager. I wont go into that but it does make me wonder if they are doing whats right for them not me.

I feel like Im a problem and being shoved in a position that I should be glad to accept. I need to make sure when I return its the right job in the right place too. Im not in a position to give up work- if I was I would have packed in long ago. Im trying to get back to " normal" I wont know if Ill feel better working until I try.

Ive spoken to my union -Im getting things in writing and the union have said they will meet me- theyre not happy with things.

This is stressing me out again - Ive had a headache all day! :cry: .

Im sorry to moan again -xxx
  • debram
    Options
    Thanks Edwin,

I cant make sense of what's happening-I will have to ask for a copy of my contract I think.

I've now asked for the return to work proposal to be put in writing because , from the phone conversation they are agreeing to give me a reduction in hours for 6 mths on same T & C but after then I have " 12 months to find myself a band 5 job "( my current grade).The 12 month thing wasnt mentioned initially. What happens if I cant find a job?
    My understanding is that they do this to get rid of people or its a secondment whereby I have to find nother job in an agreed time. If not my contact can be terminted.If thats the case this sounds like they want me in this new job on secondment.

Even if the TNF works and I'm well enough to resume my career-( I pray it works)I think it will be hard to find a full time band 5 position- firstly because there my not be any around- secondly I have to go through a selection process- I had a great track record until I had arthritis- but that wouldn't mean anything. I think I'm seen as a liability now.

I cant believe the crap that's happening- It was my boss who suggested early retirement- he houldn't have even be discussing that with me when I'd been off just a few months but I was glad it was an option- or at least thought it was until oc health said I'm not considered permanently unfit- meaning there is some form of work I could do.
    I am entitled to go straight to the trustees but without support from oc health or my reheumi-there's a very good chance they will say no. I still don' know wether to do that though as I am afraid that if 'Im refused it may be a green light terminate my contract.
    Therefore I am trying to go back, but they want it on their terms only.
    I dont think theyve done all they can to comply with disability legislation either. They do.
    My union said they should be looking to move someone else to get me in. That's NEVER going to hppen and I don't want someone else to lose their job because of me. I feel like giving up.
    When I get it in writing, I'll contct my union for a meeting to decide they way forward. I don't think people can really understand the impact this disease has on our lives.It's bad enough coping with feeling tired all the time- being in significant pain etc without all this worry.

xx
  • karenza
    karenza Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with DLA
    Iclaimed and months later they want me to attend a court hearing
    It makes me feel like a criminal
    It's not as thought I've received a penny
    I'll struggle on working
    Day after court letter came another came to tell me my pension would be on my 66 th birthday
    Wow another ten years to struggle thru.
  • kittymedaughter
    kittymedaughter Member Posts: 81
    Options
    thank you all for your replies. I am not sure what is happening with my employer at the moment, not sure they will try to put me on incapabliity
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Kitty
    I don't think any of us understand how our employers work
    I went down the ill health route and had enough evidence and consultant support to get ill health tier 1 under the NHS pension scheme my friend also got tier 1 but two other colleagues working for same trust did not and got their contracts terminated for in capability both who are still unable to work and are now having problems with the DWP and Atos
    So how can two of us get it when the others didn't! Makes me wonder if it had anything to do with the fact both my friend and myself had been awarded our pension before they had applied for theirs! I've no idea
    Has your workplace put in the necessary adjustments for you to continue working? They have to do this by law me thinks
    Have you contacted the helpline team for advice on putting you in the right direction
    Keep fighting don't let the b*****s get you down
    Maria
  • debram
    Options
    Hello Kitty,
    I seem to have taken over your post sorry but as you can see there are so many of us this has happened to-its no comfort but shows how tough things are.You dont need the hassle and worry on top of fighting an awful disease.

Im so sad that you dont seem to be getting any help either-we both to heed need Marias words and fight them!

Ive just this minute come out of hospital-my GP sent me as Ive had awful pain in my ribs and back. Suprise suprise-bad inflammation from my Psoriatic arthritis so now im on morphine.

I see my consultant monday and Im asking her to support me-I should have started back part time now-would have been a great start as Id be off again!

Good luck Kitty Im praying you and I get somewhere .

Deb x
  • debram
    Options
    Well Ive had my second anti TNF assessment and within a month should be on Humira. Ive had the lowdown on the serious side effects but am looking forward to trying this and praying it helps. I will remain on Methotrexate but my Sulsasalizine will be withdrawn.

If anyone else is going through assessment please dont do what I did. I went to my private Rheumi as I couldnt get to see the NHS one -as my foot was so bad I couldnt walk. Also my shoulders ,feet hands etc was all in a "flare". He gave me an injection but said it was ok to have as there was a month before second anti TNF assessment.

Well -big mistake-whilst it relieved my symptoms-my nhs consultant went ape. I ran the risk of failing the assessment as my joints werent so swollen.
    I went to the second assessment and never thought Id ever say-I was glad I had at leat 3 swollen joints! If I didnt Id have failed and my hopes shattered. I had many more joints swollen in the first assessment. I should have put up with the pain and not had that injection-a difficult call!

Injections will be 2 weekly and Ive chosen a "pen" as apposed to a "srynge/needle" ,my consultant said she will know if its working within the first 6 weeks. If thats the case I hope to feel much better. Ive also been told if it doesnt work ill be able to try another one.
    Id like to know how others have got on with the biological drug so ill post here first and also seek out other posts on anti TNF.

As for work-my consultants told me Im not fit to return and as Im unwell should not make any decision about my future. She said if the. anti TNF work Ill be able to go back full time-if not she will look to support me by writing to occupational health. But I know they said I havent "tried enough dangerous medication" for them to say Im unfit to work so Ill be pessimistic and say-if this doesnt work and I can try the other anti TNF-theyll still turn around and say theres others I can try. Therefore Im just goin to hope
  • debram
    Options
    Built up and knocked back down!
    Had a phone conversation with my manager Fri to tell him Humira hasnt started to work despite my consultant saying it should work in 6 weeks.

Consultant has said she will support me in requesting early retirement as she doesnt think I can work-severe Psa-her words.
    I had a meeting yesterday. On the phone my manager said dont worry we will re apply for ill health. Yesterday he said theres a few options. Dismissal,resignation or ill health.
    my union Unite say that where I work are notorious for not givin ill health so he doesnt think I will get it despite my GP and consultant saying I cant work.
    My union also said we will only have a meeting if wodk refuse me-then we will appeal but dont hold my breath. I asked if we could go to tribunal and he said no just appeal.
    Not helpful at all. I thought my union would meet me before we applied to make sure I give relevent info to support my case. Theyre not interested!

How can employers go against consultants?
    :(
    Oh well looks like dismissal it will be as no way can I work!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well, I don't think much of your union's support, especially in light of their telly advert I saw yesterday. Don't let yourself be pushed around by either your union or employers - why should life be made easy for them when it's damned difficult for you? Fight for the ill-health (more easily said than done, I realise that) because your union needs to repay your loyalty in earning you your entitlement. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • debram
    Options
    I am going to fight this dreamdaisy. Ive worked for 20 yrs with them and 30 yrs working in my total working life Im now in a position where I am truly not able to function at times let alone continue to work. I have put work above my health and even above my family on times and now I need help I realise Im just a number.

I have no choice but to fight as I can not work. Im not successful in getting ERIH we will have to tighten our belts but at least I can just concentrate on me & being as well as I can but safe in the knowledge that I can rest as many times throughout the day as I like and I dont have to experience any more pain on top of the chronic pain Im feeling!

Xx Debxx
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi debram
    pleased to meet you, i to have PsA and know from experiance
    how painfull it can be :mrgreen:
    Im on MET & LEF ,(SULF didnt work for me) now after (3 damards)
    am on the tnfs route now..
    I think you would be intiteld to (PIP) you can apply for this if youre
    working or not.
    worth a look .
    mike26 good luck and keep strong.. :|
  • debram
    Options
    Hi Mike- thanks for reply-

whats pip?

I have just started Humira biological injections anti tnf and still take methotrexate but no change yet, They took sulfasalizine off when i started inject. Bad news is Im about to take my 4th injection Fri but cant as Ive a sore throat and flu like symptoms so on antibiotics for 10 days which means I cant have next injection :( How long have you had it and how does it affect you?
    My consultant expected injections to work in 4 weeks it seems to be taking longer but other people say around 6-12 weeks so crossing my fingers well I would if I could!)

I have awful pain everywhere - especially hands/fingers and feet and am having trouble walking too- you are the first person Ive spoken to with PSA! how do you cope? Do you work?
    I feel so tired too and now ive a virus feel even more so!

Deb x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I too have PsA and am on humira. I have no tangible benefit from it but I know that it is (combined with the meth and sulp) controlling the PsA to a very good extent. My consultant told me I would be able to ditch the crutches and reduce all the other meds - I'm sure she didn't mean to lie. :roll: My problem is that I began the meds far too late (five years in in 2002) for any true benefit to be gained but no matter, hindsight is always wonderful and always useless. I stop the immuno-suppressants at the first hint of a sore throat and always feel better once I'm off them; if anti-bios become necessary then I feel almost healthy despite being properly ill! :lol:

PIP stands for Personal Independence Payment, this is being phased in to replace DLA. I am currently awarded higher-rate mobility DLA (it was a life-time award) and will be transferred in due course to the new system, which means the'life-time' may no longer apply. I am not that worried at the moment, however, because I am reliant on crutches and a rollator to get about. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi DD
    You are right the life long award is no more
    I understand why thy do it just incase anyone improves but usually when its a life long award it means you won't improve
    I have heard of a young girl who has limbs missing now has to be re assessed yearly now and as she says tongue in cheek well its incase my limb grows back!
    They should be out getting the benefit cheats and ones that won't work as they get more in benefits out to work and leave the genuine ones alone
    Rant over
    Maria :)
  • debram
    Options
    Dreamdaisy-interesting Humira started too late. whilst its 5 yr for you I was diagnosed Jan 2012 & put on them Sep 2013-Im wondering how effective it will be as Ive had aches and pains since around 2008 but not diagnosed until 2012.
    I saw a solicitor today who said my union should be doing more and ensure my manager & them send supporting information when the documents go to the trustees for consideration. He explained that If I fail I will be constructive dismissal and then all I can do is appeal.

My oc health is now writing to my consultant & Gp-Ill see whats written to see if they do support me as promised. Then its wether oc health support me when it goes to the trustees. Ill just hope that Im supported & successful.
    In the meantime Ill be having an assessment from occ therapist so ill see what their opinion of me applying Pip is.

Maria yes I agree-too many people falsely claiming it -they are the ones needed to be given a hard time but it makes it so hard for genuine xases to get it.
  • debram
    Options
    Im looking for help please regarding early retirement meeting with oc healt.

hose of you who have read my posts in the past know i have severe psoriatic arthritis affecting all my joints and ive been off work since feb 2012. I had an op on my shoulder for spurs & bursitis july 2012 & need the other one done. I had prolapsed bowel bladder and uterus repair in Feb-linked to arthritis via hypermobility.
    Im now on Humira as Ive not responded to dmards and so far no response.

I am in constant pain -hips shoulders elbows knees hands & feet bad. Went to podiatry tday and told as well as inserts ill have to have a shoe built up as one leg now shorter than the other. Hes referring me for physio as have a lump & he wants a spine & hip xray.
    .I was sent last yr to an independent gp by work-that gp recommended retire but oc health said "hadnt had it long enough or been on enough dangerous meds-think they were ref to humira.

My gp & consultant have recommended early retirement ill health.

Today I was told I have another independent assessment with a gp who does woek for dept work & pensions.
    What can I expect? The other Gp didnt examine me but baded on information & evidence at interview he recommended I retire.
    I dont mind being examined but we all know swelling and pain varies. Im af not looking for ways to
  • debram
    Options
    re my post above- excuse bad typo errors and last paragraph unfinished- am having trouble with mobile phone and cant see what id written. Am now on computer.

Im not looking for ways to "pass" a assessment but want to make sure they understand how ill I am. When I had an assessment for DLA- the doc said I wasnt bad enough and that I could "reach out for an envelope on the table" & refused to do certain exercises due to my arthritis. I saw him on a good day in Feb and since then am much worse.

What can I expect will they try and make me bend down again? I refused last tie & he wrote it in the report- but I cant bend!

I have no DLA- I dont want anything Im not entitled to but Ive paid my pension- worked hard for a company that has given me so much stress its the actual cause of my ill health!
    Even if I dont get ill helth- Im still finishbing- it will be financially hard & we may have to sell our home but I can not work- end of.

My union are rubbish but Ive had an offer from a local disability charity who have helped me- to come with me to the eeting- is thi a good idea- they know how I am.( its not arthritis care- but if they had reps in my are id ask if they could come- I dont want to go alone- I want someone who understands this condition)

Help! Stressed!!!
    Any advice gratefully received
    xxx Deb
  • debram
    Options
    :x
  • debram
    Options
    :P
    Winter sunshines streaming in
    as I lie in bed in pain
    I look out from my window
    am thankful its not rain

The birds are singing on my trees
    a tune thats just for me
    oh how i long to be that bird
    to fly so high and free

To feel the wind beneath my wings
    to lift me up in flight
    to soar above the world
    until i rest my wings at night
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi Deb
    I've not been on for awhile so just wondered how you are getting on?
    Maria
  • debram
    Options
    Hello Maria & fellow forum users,

I havent been on here for a while as Ive been really down. I had a close friend & colleague commit suicide due to bullying and found that plus my condition overwhelming.
    I miss my friend and felt that I should have done more but now having had more councelling I realise I did all I could. I got her to see her Gp and if they couldnt stop her then I dont think I could have either. I feel bitter at my employers and other colleagues for hurting her so much that she felt she had no choice. Shes now at peace.
    My arthritis hasnt responded to Humira so will be having a change after xmas.
    My work sent me for the independent assessment and I found it distressing & difficult-spent the weekend after in bed exhausted.
    That doctor said my work would not require to write to my consultant but take her report-I was distraught as my consultant said she would recommend ill health retire.
    However the independant doc found me unfit-thats 2 independent gps finding me unfit. Now work are writing to my consultant-are they searching for someone to say Im fit? How long will this go on!
    Anyway my minds made up-ill leave work if they dobt retire me. I am not fit and thatsat.

Thanks for prompting me to see oc therapist-they were brilliant-ive a lift fitted to get in the bath-a higher chair thing for over loo-a new handrail up the stairs as i couldnt grip mine and a leaning chair in the kitchen to allow me to have seating support when washing my dishes. When I can manage to wash them! Brilliant support.

Ive got a lovely new growth on my wrist-seems to grow daily so will get tht loomed at-got a spur or cyst.
    Ill sign off now as too much typing!!

Have a lovely Christmas all

Love

Debxx
  • debram
    Options
    I've had good news! After a 2 yr battle, 2 independent health checks I'm finally going to retire!
    I want to thank Maria for the help and advice and indeed thanks to everyone who's "spoken" to me, you've helped me tremendously. Letting me rant!! Keeping me sane but more importantly sharing your experiences! Thanks as its made me keep going.
    Deb :-)