The Brighton Marathon 2014.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Jun 2013, 07:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just received an email from AC's fundraiser about the Brighton Marathon, asking me if I would like to reserve a place on it and if so to let her know by the end of next week. (They have been allocated some charity places.) OK, I realise that they probably don't mean that I should run the marathon - :lol: - and that I should find someone else who's willing to do so but, actually, I found this message a little upsetting. Surely it could have been better phrased as 'we have these places, do you know of anyone who would be able to run to raise funds for our charity?' This strikes me as being more sensitive to the likely situation of the recipient.

I cannot walk with ease, let alone anything else - I reckon I do a daily marathon in just trying to get the basics done. :wink: OK, if push comes to shove I could probably stagger along the equivalent mileage in feet (and on a really good day metres) but that's it. Perhaps they do want me to do it using the Clatterator, but I don't think I could. Oh dear, defeated before I've begun. :(

Has anyone else had this email? If you have what do you think about it? I suspect I am being a little over-sensitive, and of course it's for a very worthy cause but the irony isn't lost on me. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    DD, I think they are trying to get in first, before you sign up for the Women's Rugby World Cup. :? :shock:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    That's a shame , DD , I'd hoped we could " run " it together ; me in my wheelchair , you perched on my knee and my hubby pushing us ! I have to agree with you that it is rather insensitive in the phraseology , more thought could have been put into it ! Jillyb
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Can understand why you are upset as I would be too. Think that's very insensitive DD. Like you, I struggle to walk a few yards, let alone a marathon! Beryl
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I thought of you, JillyB1, when I read it - maybe we could 'double up' like a twin pram? Your 'im indoors and mine could take it in turns to shove us along.

Numpty, as regards the RWC I'm already on England's books as their scrum half because I am both small and quick. :wink: That reminds me of the dyslexic rugby manager who sigend up Joanna Lumley instead of Jonah Lumu.

Hello Beryl, I too think the phraseology could have been better, and of course they don't know the circumstances of each and every member, which is why it needed a better construction.

Right, it's time to turn on the oven. I hope I cope better with that than the ironing. (DD wanders off chanting 'put pies in oven, put pies in oven. . . . . . )
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I didn’t get the email but I don’t think you are being ‘over-sensitive’. In fact, a little more sensitivity on the part of those sending out the emails wouldn’t go amiss. If those running an arthritis charity can’t be sensitive to the feelings of those with arthritis where do we go from there?

In a similar vein, I was a bit miffed yesterday when I attempted to log on to the forums and was confronted with ‘The forum is currently down for maintenance. We'll be back soon!' There was no forewarning and no apology. Is that insensitivity, a lack of courtesy or both?

(Re the dyslexic rugby manager who signed up Joanna Lumley instead of Jonah Lomu, how naive can you get? That was merely the excuse he gave his wife :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    DD they didnt send me one....and you are not being over sensitive....I have my chair if you want a lift...then someone would have to push...oh well maybe next year...I don't think .... :o
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    Hi DD, yes, I've had these in the past and agree they are somewhat thoughtless. I can't run for a bus never mind a marathon.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I have not seen a copy of what was sent out so cannot really comment.

I am unable to run at all, not under any circumstances and I hope I never feel so scared that I try because no good would come of it at all. I can walk slowly but a marathon ....... no way! So on the face of it, it does appear rather thoughtless. Even having a year to practice would unfortunately not make any difference and probably end up with me getting a fracture or two.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Sticky. I too discovered the forum was not available yesterday. Think perhaps they could have warned us?

Beryl
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Sometimes I cannot get on the forum. Techy probs do just happen every now and again but yesterday I do not know if there was time for us to be informed but an apology could have been added when it had been sorted. Perhaps there was, I was out and about yesterday so not aware.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi folks......

We mods want to let you know that we are sensitive to our members' thoughts and feelings as expressed on this Thread and take seriously the points raised about the Brighton Marathon e-mail ... and especially the impact the wording has had on you as individuals.

Although this area is out-with our 'remit' we have noted the comments made by you..and will be passing on the points you've raised to AC via our webmanager.

We will also include your comments regarding the unacceptability of not being forewarned by IT regarding the Forum being 'down' during the site changeover.
    An apology is in order....

ModeratorIA
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you very much Mod IA. :) I find it re-assuring to know that you are doing very important work in the background looking out for us.

From a very appreciative forum member

Elna x

• stickywicket
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Sometimes I cannot get on the forum. Techy probs do just happen every now and again but yesterday I do not know if there was time for us to be informed but an apology could have been added when it had been sorted. Perhaps there was, I was out and about yesterday so not aware.

Elna x

There was no apology, Elna. I think what irritated me most was the breezy 'We'll be back soon!' Who would be back soon? I, Beryl and, no doubt, many others were already there. We just couldn't post :cry:

Thank you, Moderator IA. It's good to know our concerns are acted on.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for getting in touch, Webmanager, and for trying to explain the reasoning behind the Fundraising Team's email.

This was the first communication I have received from them - I may have expressed an interest in AC's fundraising events many moons ago but this came out of the blue. The first sentence was breathtaking enough with its abrupt 'I hope you're well.' I no longer know what constuitutes 'well'. I don't feel that I need to defend my taking it as a personal communication because, after all, it was addressed to me. It seems strange to me that an email, sent by an organisation that supports arthritics of all ages, could be so crass as to even hint that taking part in this event could be a physical possibility - believe me, if it was I wouldn't be on here, I'd be out and about living it large. If course it struck a nerve. It's now twanging with even more force.

I'm not sure what 'balance' you think might have been tipped - the implication to me is that I am somehow emotionally unstable and therefore unable to consider things with a cool head. I was hoping to raise a valid point with humour - maybe I went the wrong way about doing so but my concern was for others who may have received this, perhaps felt equally upset but unable to post about it. My doing so might have provided an opportunity for them to have their say.

I would like to make it clear to whoever is reading this that my email ended with 'Kind regards, Kate' and that the final paragraph is of your creation.

DD
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    I can fully understand that people might feel rather sensitive about clumsy wording but I feel very proud that our 'middle son' ran in the 2011 Brighton Marathon and raised £2,980 for Help for Heroes :D

He and my lovely DIL now live and work in New York but he did say at Christmas time, whilst replete with the 'Christmas spirit'. If we're in England for the Brighton Marathon in 2014 I'll push you in your chariot all the way Mum so you can get some dosh for the benefit of you and your cronky cronies. However the proviso is that you'll have to wear a ballgown, I'm not racing with a scruff :lol:
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    It may have not been worded well, but maybe you were a little over sensitive. I feel that way when I get the annual emails from various shopping sites going on about Fathers and Mothers day. I'd love to still have a reason to get them presents!
  • jillyb1
    Options
    Sorry , but our DD is not any more sensitive than the rest of us . I got this email and as I'm in the middle of a horrendous flare up where I'm now having to wheelchair to the bathroom rather than zimmer it ( a distance of about 2 metres ) ; the email reduced me to blubs . Hubby and I did manage to laugh it off later on but damage had been done by then . Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    Options
    webmanager wrote:
    I'm sure deep down you know that the wording of this email was not really about lack of sensitivity but rather the fundraising and marketing department doing their job through direct marketing which they obviously have done, as it really struck a nerve with you and made you feel it was directed at you.

:o :shock: That seems to be a justification of the email on the grounds that, as it touched a raw nerve, it was successful marketing.

I find many charities are becoming increasingly aggressive and insensitive in their marketing. I do hope Arthritis Care isn't going to be one of them.

Why didn’t the marketing department ask the forum if anyone knew of potential runners?
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Exactly Sticky, I used to run four years ago but I am not fit any more, sorry I didn't join until a few months ago.
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    JillyB1? ((((())))) I know that you are a resilient woman, I know you can make light of things - and I realise they don't know everyone's circumstances - but I do think a little more tact should have been applied. I guess you are going through a very tough time at the moment so all I can do is wish you well. DD

PS Villier? I remember doing cross-country runs at high school - such was my aversion to them I would peel off from last position, go home and make myself a cuppa, then rejoin the field as they trotted back past the bottom of my road, in my customary last place :wink:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    and the Yorkshire Blokey hugs for tonight go to my lovely mate DD... I'm sorry that you've been upset by what is no doubt a superb marketing tool, I have to say I agree that yhe email should have been better thought out... the way I am at the minute I'm just glad I'm not signed up for them... I think I would have taken it totally the wrong way..

Sending best wishes to all my dear pals here...
    Xxxxxxxxxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jillyb1
    Options
    Lovely to see you again , Tony , you've been sorely missed . Sending positive vibes from Brighton .
    Jillyb
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi DD
    I don't think you are being over-sensitive.....I haven't seen it and as you say they cant know everyones circumstances but all the more reason to be more sensitive.
    Oh well. Hope you are feeling a bit better about it now
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Indeed I am, Hileena, I can't stay unhappy for long, it takes too much of my restricted energies but I am still very cross about its effect on JillyB1. She's one strong lady and to read of her distress about this email made me madder than a wet hen. DD

PS Hello Tonymate, it's good seeing your name on here again and thank you for coming to my support when things are so rough for you. I send girlie Suffolk hugs to you and Mrs Tjt. [[[]]]
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Yes
    Hi Tony....great to see you on again.....take care
    Love
    Hileena