Does anybody suffer from osteoarthritis and osteoporosis?

Options
louisarm
louisarm Member Posts: 52
edited 28. Jul 2013, 15:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dear All does anybody have both conditions?

And if so how do you manage them as the exercise regime is different for both.

Thank you

Louisa

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi louisa, Yes I suffer with both! I was trying pilates but after a week doing it my joints ached like mad! Every time I tried something even Ti-Chi which I broke my metatarsal doing! I either injured myself or cause a flare up so now I just give up exercise classes and normal things like playing with my cats and easy house work like putting washing away it's crazy like small things like that how they can get your heart pumping and get you sweating!! It's crazy living day to day with both as what you can do for one may not be good for the other, it's a learning curve, I've learned how to live with both by my mistakes. What might be OK for one person might be bad for another, your body will tell you if it's happy or not! It's nice to meet someone else with Osteo-arthritis and Osteoporosis!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options
    Hello Lousia
    yes I have both and cerebral palsy. I go to the hydrotherapy pool its a lot easer to move in water I went there before I found out I had both.
    my legs ache all the time. I sit down when I want a rest.
    nice to hear from you.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • louisarm
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

Do you take any medication for the osteoporosis?

Have you had surgery and if so did the thin bones cause any problems?

Thank you
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Yes I do.

Exercise: Stretching exercises every day, hula hoop, riding my bike (weightbearing for upper arms so a physio told me), exercise bike for cardio, walking as much as possible although not a breeze with scoliosis and had spine compression so not as good with balance etc as I used to be due to the damage that occurred. Had op to stop further deterioration but was never told things would go back to normal but they have improved. Gardening. A couple of cleaning jobs that I keep up. Had my first tai chi class and hope to persevere with it as it is good for many things. It is very gentle this class. I try to stand a lot as this is also weightbearing even if one does not move much. Oh I have started to doing step ups (using the bottom steps of the stairs)as this a good weightbearing one too.

I was told by a physio that tennis, table tennis and line dancing or any type of dancing would be beneficial for osteoporosis. I have not taken her up on these suggestions and do not really intend to do so.

I have had two TKRs, spinal op in the last 5 years and been fine. All ops went well. Since 2004 I have lost over 4 inches in height. Not a good sign. Had the DEXA last year with the diagnosis of OP. I had OP before that that I am sure.

I am on Protelos taken nightly 2 hours after food (powder mixed with water) I take a Vit D tablet daily too. I try to have enough calcium daily by diet. Am going for a Vit D blood test next week to see how I rate on the scale of things so as to have a base as what I am working with. One has to have enough calcium and Vit D daily to make the OP drug work properly.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • louisarm
    Options
    Dear Elna,

Thank you for your answer.

I am only 5 foot so the thought of getting any smaller terrifies me.

How do you (or anybody else) cope with all these health challenges?

I don't think i can, it has come as such a shock to me (the osteoarthritis)
    that i cannot do anything else but fear the worst all the time. I worry about losing my job, i have a lovely husband but his wages are not enough to support us both.

I posted on the saying hello section and got some lovely positive replies.
    When i read them they make sense but the wisdom does not stick in my mind.

Any idea on the average time it takes to accept (if ever) the diagnosis?

As i write this I am aware of all the people on this site much worse off than me, i am not proud of myself for being such a drip.

I also recognise that i am depressed and i am going to get help for that, so maybe things will not seem so grim with time.

I don't feel like me, i cannot concentrate on anything accept my fears.

I think it would be safe to say I am not being stoical of showing any backbone.

Sorry to rant, somehow writing things down seems to help.

Louisa
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Writing things down does help, that is one of the biggest roles of this forum because those who are reading understand.

I was relieved when I first found out what might be going on with me because it was good to have an explanation about the trouble my left knee had been undergoing. I didn't feel any great shock or sorrow, it was more a case of 'Here we go again, what else will be thrown at me?' and a few years later I found out. :wink: It must be far harder if you have had a healthy life up until now, the shock of the constant aches and pains and the uncertainty about how things will go on from here is difficult to grasp. We rarely fret about the future when we're well but as soon as we're not it becomes the overwhelming thought. We don't have a crystal ball when well and not when ill - that's one thing that doesn't change.

Everyone is different in how they react to a diagnosis and there's no timescale of acceptance. Everybody is individual in how they deal with matters and every one has different strengths and weaknesses. I refuse to let my PsA and OA get the better of me, those diseases have to live with me, not me with them (I learned that from someone on here.) To that end I pace myself, I've changed the way I do things, I have re-learned some very basic skills to accommodate my failing joints but NO WAY will this dross get the better or me. I will not let it win. End of. I have no doubt that in time you will find your fighting spirit but it won't happen overnight.

Keep talking to us, OK? We're here for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • louisarm
    Options
    Dear DD,

Thank you so much for the lovely post.

I will try and emulate your attitude, it is a good way to put it. Arthritis has to live with the person not the other way around.

So you have given me a bit of cheer (again).

With gratitude

Louisa
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Give yourself time - it has been mentioned on here more than once that getting to grips with the diagnosis is similar to the processes involved in dealing with grief. I can't remember all the steps but I think they run along the lines of disbelief (whaaat? :shock: ) questioning (why me? :? ) anger (unfair, UNFAIR, UNFAIR :x ) grieving, (I've lost so much, :cry: ) and then a gradual acceptance: OK, this is here and it ain't going away, it's time to get a grip. :|

Right, cooking is beckoning. I hate cooking. :lol: DD
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Louisa

I am 62.5 years old now and I suppose niggley aches and pains started gradually around my late 30's. Nothing too much, perhaps some painkillers or a course of physio and after a while it would be sorted for a time. Cannot remember the actual sequence of things ie when my thumbs started to play up, knees and having slight scoliosis that I noticed in my teens that was never really diagnosed as such, causing dull lower back pain when dawdling or window shopping but nothing too much. The aches and pains from this are more apparent now. The osteoporosis has only been picked up in the last 8 months after the spinal op and the consultant suggesting I had a DEXA. On hindsight it should have been picked up earlier and I am sure would have been, with a scan. I may not have lost so much in height then. I have not felt too bad about it all really although now I am a tad worried with my balance not being too good and walking sometimes is difficult. I just persevere and carry on the best I can. I hear of people around me much worse off and this is a wake up call to me that I am not in too bad a way at the moment. That is my coping strategy so far. I am not saying for a moment this way of thinking of mine will last but so far it has worked for me.
    I have been to a funeral today of a friend's husband who died after a year of battling with cancer. She is younger than me. I am channelling my energies into looking after her now. I try not to think about myself too much. When I say that I don't mean I bury my head in the sand. That is why I joined this forum a good few years ago and why I am now a member on the osteoporosis forum. Knowledge is power, for sure.

Keep posting, it does help. It would be a good idea to talk to your gp about depression and perhaps get some prescribed medication. I have heard it can really help.

Laughter and trying to think positive most of the time is good medicine and usually works for me and there are no nasty side effects. ;)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Louisa, The meds I take cover all the bases caused by my Osteo-arthritis and Osteoporosis. Like the side effects and pain. You suffer from the stomach aches like me they are usually caused from side effects. It's a vicious circle you end up getting side effects from the side effects!! DD's mantra is right Arthritis has to live with you not the other way round!! We are all here brought together by the same thing Arthritis and we all support each other when we need supporting and keep the positivity going.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,935
    Options
    Hello Louisa
    I take 2 co-co's 30/500 3 times a day and morphine when I need it (
    twice a day) I've just been took off diclofenic and put on naproxen but I could not swallow the tabs so i'm waiting to see my doctor who's on holiday.
    I go to the hydrotherapy pool i have a problem standing and my legs aching so i cant walk a long way i have a mobility scoota that i use to go to the shops and take the dog for a walk.
    my life changed when i got artheritis i used to walk for miles and ride my horse.
    i put it all down to my injuries i'm 72 this year you have to enjoy yourself.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • louisarm
    Options
    Dear All,

Thanks for the lovely posts.

I am trying to take it one day as a time!

My mood is up and down, but the support i have received off all on this site is keeping me going.

Thank you

Louisa
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hi Louisa
    I have both OA and OP, diagnosed last year about 9 months apart. I am coping much better now with the implications of the 2 conditions, but have found it very hard as GP help has been to all intents non-existent with the OP - even his prescribing was wrong as it turned out! Thank heavens for the NOS.
    Something I did find helpful when I was low with the OA and fed-up with being fobbed off was the Arthritis Care course.Sharing experiences with people in the same situation, and learning coping strategies, was a real boost. Try looking on the AC website if there are any courses near you, or local support groups.
    The exercise issue is a conundrum I am still trying to work out(and is another area where informed medical help has been unforthcoming, or in one instance just plain wrong) as OA knees and a pre-existing back problem tend to rule out the standard weightbearing exercises.For now I just concentrate on keeping moving and doing my usual activities- anything more specific will have to wait until I can find someone who can come up with a credible solution.
    One final thing - have you had your Vit D levels checked in connection with the OP?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello Louisa, how's things? Make sure you get some sun on you this week-end, it's essential for Vit D which helps our bones. Don't bask though, and not during the hottest part of the day. It's all about balance. :wink: DD
  • louisarm
    Options
    Dear Daffy,

Thanks for your post. I will look into the arthritis course as I could sorely do with something positive to focus on. My vit D level is ok, so that is not causing the bone thinning. I am hoping when I see a physio I can get a proper exercise regime started.

This site is just full of such lovely people, such as yourself, who really want to help.

I am going on holiday next week to Spain and I am really hoping I can come back with a better mental attitude.

Hi DD,

Thanks for checking up on me, I should get plenty of sun in Spain. I hope you are well too. Since all this happened I have been very focused on myself and that is not really me normally. Well it is a bit but I always ask about other people too. Must be fear making me so insular.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Have a great holiday, Louisa. A change of scenery and routine helps many things. Hasta luego :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Louisa, how have you been? Sorry not been around been having a bad tummy due to weather!!
  • AlanWatson1958
    AlanWatson1958 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi,

I went to the doctor about some pains a couple of weeks ago, was diagnosed simultaneously with osteoarthritis in both hips, scoliosis (curved spine) and osteopaenia. I think I was most shocked to learn that I was three cm shorter than I had thought - although still 190. I will have a spinal MRI in a couple of days to look for the cause of the pains that I went in about in the first place.

Only a couple of months previously, I had been told that I had pre-diabetes, which, when added to high blood pressure and high LDL cholesterol gives me metabolic syndrome. I also have very high homocysteine, which is a risk factor for everything, and an obscure heart condition.

My cardiologist told me that I really need to avoid getting diabetes which would add further to already high risk factors, and should cut down on starch and sugar and get vigorous exercise after every meal. I was already fairly fit, but have been going swimming, jogging and hill-walking with a vengence since.

Now I find that my breaststroke and my other forms of exercise are all bad for my hips.

I suppose I can invest in an exercise bike for the aerobics, keep walking and as much as possible and try to lift some weights for the osteoporosis, but it's all a complete change from what I am used to. I like swimming, but I don't think that I could teach myself front crawl at my age. I feel a little shell-shocked and I would welcome any advice.

I am a 54 year old man, with a BMI of 19.5 who eats a whole-food diet with lots of fish, salads, fruits, vegetable and fibre, and who now drinks a lot more milk than before.

Alan
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello Alan. Welcome to the forum but I'm sorry you had to find us. I imagine you're quite shell-shocked by all this, as well you might be. The good news is that your doc sounds to be on the ball and dealing with things quickly.

It's ****'s law that you take up swimming, jogging and hill-walking to help with your other conditions only to discover you have OA. Exercise is good for OA but, as you've realised, not all exercise. Swimming, though, is very good and I see no reason why you can't learn a different stroke at a mere 54. I'd never ridden a horse until I was into my 50s with 30 odd years of arthritis behind me. Learning to adapt is necessary – and can be fun. You might find some of Arthritis Care's publications helpful. There's a button at the top of the page on the right and one of them is about exercise.

I hope you can get your pre-diabetes sorted by diet. I have two friends who were both diagnosed with late-onset diabetes but who both manage to control it by diet alone.

I don't personally have osteoporosis (Mine's RA and OA) though I'm currently awaiting the results of my first ever DXA scan so I have some empathy. I think oily fish and at least some nuts are supposed to be good for the bones. Is the BMI of 19.5 good or bad? I think in women (I don't know about men) 19 is considered borderline anorexic and that's definitely not good for bones.

You have resurrected an old thread here and I think you'll get more replies if you copy and paste your post onto a new one. I hope things improve for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AlanWatson1958
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging comments. I was feeling a little down when I wrote the first post.

Yes 19.5 is too thin, or at least I certainly don't want to get any thinner. I mention this since all the advice for people trying to avoid diabetes is to lose weight, and since being overweight also seems to be a risk factor for arthritis.

I am, however, finding it quite difficult to keep my blood sugar down without continuing to lose weight. Exercise not only uses some of the blood sugar up, but it also makes the muscles more sensitive to insulin, which seems to be where I need to make improvements, so finding ways to exercise effectively, and in particular to exercise my biggest muscles - in my legs - is crucial to my success.

Thanks again.

Alan
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Might it be worth consulting a nutritionist, Alan? On the NHS if possible but privately if not. I'm currently addicted to the Ashes cricket and aware that sportsmen's diets are very carefully regulated and monitored these days. Maybe a nutritionist could advise on when you should eat what in relation to exercise?
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Alan

Sorry to read your story. You must be in shock to hear that kind of news about your health at once.

Join the club. I have scoliosis but knew about this myself from the age of about 14 - 15 years. Nothing was ever done about it at the time but no good crying over spilt milk now. I am surprised to learn that you were unaware that you suffered from scoliosis. It became very apparent to me in my teens. I was not born with it. I am 62 years and make the best of my situation, with scoliosis, OA and OP and have had one op on my spine due to compression on the spinal cord which has left me with some symptoms which I could do without in the circumstances. I have lost half an inch a year in the 8 years. Daren't measure my height this year. I am on medication for OP now. Calcium and Vit D are both very important for OP or osteopenia which is the stage before OP. I am on the Osteoporosis forum which is a great place to glean information.

http://www.nos.org.uk/forum/

I wish you well,

Elna x

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Alan
    Sorry to hear you have these problems....I do understand. I have high blood pressure....so walking 30 mins a day is advised but I also have OA in a lot of joints so my mobility is bad so where do I go from here.
    I have scoliosis but like you I was diagnosed quite late on.....in my late 50's
    I also have Osteopinia.....Its so very hard when you have conflicting problems and you get advice for one but that clashes with the other. :(
    This isn't a lot of help to you ...sorry ....just to sypmathise.
    Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I suppose I can invest in an exercise bike for the aerobics, keep walking and as much as possible and try to lift some weights for the osteoporosis, but it's all a complete change from what I am used to. I like swimming, but I don't think that I could teach myself front crawl at my age. I feel a little shell-shocked and I would welcome any advice.Alan

Hi Alan

An exercise bike is good for the cardio vascular system and presumably for strengthening the legs but not for fragile bones as it is non weight bearing. Same as riding a bike. Walking is good even if walking slowly and even just standing is better than nothing. Tai chi is a good all rounder. Dancing is good as is table tennis and tennis. Swimming is non weight bearing too although good general exercise. I can understand you are going to have a problem with some of these suggestions as I do too.

Perhaps for the osteopenia you may be put on a drug and prescribed calcium and Vit D tablet as it is important to have enough of these two to make the medication work properly. I have a feeling that usually one is only prescribed medication for OP but in your case the ruling may be bent due to your other problems.

I do hope things get easier for your soon.

Elna x

• AlanWatson1958
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the encouragement, advice and comments. Luckily, I think that my scoliosis is not as bad as some others have. The orthopaedic specialist seems too think that it is not the main contributor to my height loss. He thought quite hard about giving me drugs/calcium supplements for the osteopaenia but decided in the end to leave me to exercise and diet, and test again in another year. (The Sheffield University fracture risk assessment website also puts me squarely on the borderline for starting treatment.)

For the moment I still feel healthy enough to do quite a bit of walking and other weight-bearing exercises. Things like Tai Chi seem good options for continuing that and adding flexibility, but at the moment my priority is to find some ways of having really good regular aerobic workouts in order to increase my muscles' insulin sensitivity. I test my blood sugar regularly and I can see it starting to creep up since I stopped jogging, hill-walking and swimming. I am doing other exercises at home, and walking wherever I can, but not building up as much puff as I was before.

Even if I start learning front crawl, I am sure that I will need lessons and lots of practice to get the breathing right - without that you can't do a good distance, get a proper workout or maintain a good spine posture. As I need to get more exercise fairly quickly, I am closing in on the exercise bike.

As for nutrition, I can check my calcium intake, try to cut down on starchy food and monitor the effect on my blood sugar. I also want to have some more tests - I haven't been checked for deficiencies in vitamin D or some other things that might have caused problems. The current theory seems to be that thin people with high blood sugar either have fatty liver - in which case losing even more weight is recommended - or type 1.5 diabetes where your auto-immune system is killing off your insulin production cells - in which case losing weight won't help. It seems sensible to find out more before deciding on a long-term diet.

I'm off to try to get these tests arranged tomorrow, and will get the results of my MRI on Tuesday.

Alan

PS I just had a bit of good news. My elder brother has had a successful operation to repair three vertebrae which had suffered osteoporotic stress fractures. He had expected to have to wait for ages but an unexpected slot came up. Seeing him in a terrible state is one of the things that motivated me to get myself checked out, and it will be great if his situation improves as now seems likely.