Does anybody suffer from osteoarthritis and osteoporosis?

Options
2»

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Alan

You are definitely thinking and going in the right direction and you are being looked after so all sounds good.

As your brother was suffering with osteoporatic stress fractures it is even more important that you look after yourself. Good news that the op went well. My mother suffered with OP and so I was not surprised when I was diagnosed too. Out of interest anyone else in the family line with /osteopenia/OP? If so I expect you have already mentioned this to the medics.

You can definitely work up a sweat on the exercise bike. I only do 10 minutes every day because I find is so boring. I used to listen to music but now I watch something on iplayer.

Do let us know how you go on. I for one am most interested.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yes to both, although I have had many tens of fractures, arther has had a bigger impact on my life. I cycle, swim occasionally, some walking. Gardening and housework are the biggest movements based regimes that I do.

I did have a new joint in my big toe, which was removed after a year, the bone didn't grow to hold the ceramic joint in place, that was when it was found that I had osteoporosis. The monthly bombs make me feel rotten for a day or so but I have a two year holiday from them at present. Other than diet, I do not do anything special for the problem other than being careful not to break more bones.

Keep smiling.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Louisarm, I apologise for not being in touch (and I see your thread has been somewhat highjacked, that happens occasionally as conversations develop) but I think you are back from your holiday now? I hope you had a lovely time and are feeling somewhat better in yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • AlanWatson1958
    AlanWatson1958 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry for hijacking this post. It just seemed like a relevant place to ask for advice on exercise op and OA.

Just got back from seeing the doctor with my MRI results. It seems that I have spinal stenosis between two pairs of vertebrae. He says it looks quite bad because the bone, disks and ligaments are all pressing on the spinal cord, and that it was caused by bone degeneration in the three vertebrae, none of which are three with relatively good BMD. It seems that I will need an operation sooner or later.

Apparently the osteopaenia, the osteoarthritis and the bone degeneration are all considerably worse than normal for someone of my age, and have all arisen quite independently.

Anyway, that certainly was hijacking, so more apologies.

Alan
  • louisarm
    louisarm Member Posts: 52
    Options
    Dear DD,

Thanks for checking in on me. The holiday was up and down.

On some days I could not walk far without pain and this was distressing for me. This is the first holiday I have been on where this has happened.
    I can feel pain now in my other hip, shoulder, knees, fingers and toe.

So I am no where near acceptance and still feeling very sorry for myself,
    which is not a good place to be.

I will really try to get a grip and my main concern is having to give up work. We are not rich.

MOAN MOAN MOAN, sorry.

Hi Alan,

I am really pleased that you posted on this thread, makes me feel less alone when people are having to deal with mulitiple problems.

I admire your spirit and you are not giving up and trying to be proactive, good for you.

Good wishes to all
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    There's no need to apologise, AW, these things happen. The trouble is that when another newbie posts first on another newbie's thread the second newbie can get somewhat overlooked (if you see what I mean!) To make more of us aware of you please post again but this time click on the New Topic button (or whatever it's called). You do sound to be in a bit of a pickle with all of this, and I am sure there are others around who will be able to empathise, so a re=post may help them find you. I wish you well. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello louisarm, I am sorry that your holiday was a 'curate's egg', I know exactly what that is like.

I can remember the last time I walked without pain but I can't remember how that felt. You may well be feeling pain in other areas because once one joint is 'out of kilter' it affects the way we move and thus throws others out, hence more aches and pains, this is why it may be helpful to start using a stick If you know you are in for a busier day then that is the time to take some pain relief before it starts, then be active and rest, active and rest, and top up the pain relief after a very decent interval. Four hours is the usual minimum, I usually aim for for five or six but, as the years have gone on my tolerance to it has grown. Yours will too. DD

PS It's nice to have you back.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    No apology needed, Alan. As DD has said, we all do it from time to time. But sometimes it means you don't get all the replies you might otherwise get as people are unaware you are relatively new here.

I'm sorry the news isn't too heartening from the scan. How are you feeling about it or are you still in shock?

louisarm - I'm sure accepetance will come but it is a stubborn beast and won't be hurried :wink: A first holiday curtailed by pain is a not-very-pretty landmark. You'll get used to dealing with things and finding out how to make life easier. Little things can make big differences. Sometimes all that is required is a little forethought and planning.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • louisarm
    Options
    Dear DD and SW,

The one good thing that has come out of this bombshell, of arthur, for me is the wonderful support I have found on this forum.

This is a very special place, still very sorry that any of us have to suffer, but really glad that I have 'met' such good people.

Thank you
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are talking to the intiated, I'm sure that always helps. I think I've mentioned ringing the Helpline here but if not, please do when you feel you can. They do sterling work, I remember Frogmorton telling us that when she rang all she did was howl down the 'phone. The other person quietly listened - and then spoke when the time was right. They too know their stuff.

Right, despite the heat and humidity I have to go and cook. Deep, deep joy. :( We will speak soon, yes? DD
  • AlanWatson1958
    Options
    Hi Louisa,

Sorry that your holiday wasn't great and that you are having so much pain. I am beginning to learn how difficult it can be. We so little experience myself, I'm afraid that I don't know what encouragement to give. What I certainly can do is empathise with your feeling that it it is all unfair. I had a couple of really bad days when I started to understand how bad my hips were likely to become and that all the exercise I had been taking had been making them worse. And then, of course, you feel like a wimp. Your financial worries, on top of this, must be awful.

Until recently my only real pain was in the base of my spine when I stand awkwardly. This now happens more and more often, spreads to my hips and buttocks and becomes intolerable, but is easily stopped by sitting down. I now know that this comes from the stenosis.

Other than that, I feel fine most of the time, but now have more and more really sharp, painful twinges in my hips, which I usually just wince at and then carry on. I also had two days in the past couple of weeks where I felt as if my hip joints were grating every time I moved at all. I suppose this will happen increasingly often in future.

The osteoporosis people don't count my brother's stress fractures as a real family link, as he was taking prednisone for an auto-immune problem. Had a DEXA showing good BMD, and was told his risk was very low. Then he had three fractures in quick succession. I still do get the points for a family connection though, since our mother fractured her femur on holiday in France on her own. (The food in the French hospital was marvellous; she eventually got the insurance company to ship her home so that we could come and see her more easily and bought the menus back to show to the NHS.)

Anyway, having been inspired by all the encouraging posts here, I will go to the pool today and have a go at some front crawl. I have been watching instruction videos on you-tube, but I'm not very optimistic that I'll manage it properly after years of failing, but I will give it a go.

Best wishes and good luck,

Alan
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I will go to the pool today and have a go at some front crawl. I have been watching instruction videos on you-tube, but I'm not very optimistic that I'll manage it properly after years of failing, but I will give it a go.

Oh Alan, I do hope it works for you. With that attitude you deserve success. Remember, there are no prizes for speed or artistic impression :wink: You are doing it to help your joints and, as such, the main thing is to do it any which way.

Please let us know the outcome. If it doesn't work maybe a couple of lessons from a coach might help. I have my fingers crossed.
    Steven Wright
  • AlanWatson1958
    Options
    I have been swimming. I did about half and half inelegant front and back crawl. I managed to get a bit out of breath and to tire out the (rather small) muscles that these strokes work.

As before, I can do a length or two of front crawl with no real problem, but if I keep it up while I am out of breath I find that I swallow lots of air and have to pause to burp. Maybe it will get better if I really stick at it.

I know that it's not a style contest, but watching the other swimmers, you can see some that are fantastically elegant and others that seem to be contorting themselves. I know that I'm not in the elegant category, but I would like to avoid the contortions as I'm sure they would be bad for my back. Perhaps I'll ask my wife to video me while we are on holiday next month.

What worried me a little is that my hips felt much less comfortable doing front and back crawl than than doing breaststroke. I'm not sure why, whether they would feel better with better technique, or whether I should carry on if the discomfort continues.

I plan to have another go tomorrow.

Alan
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Well done, Alan! You did it. That's a start.

Might it be worth making an appointment with a physio so that you can get some informed advice on this?
    Steven Wright
  • louisarm
    Options
    Dear Alan,

Thanks for your nice post and understanding, I am really sorry you are having to go through this too.

Please keep me posted with the exercises you are doing for both conditions. I am waiting for physio on the NHS but in the meantime I am just walking. Any tips please pass on.

I have one of those vibration tables (Power Plate) but i am not sure if that will make matters worse, ditto my mini trampoline. Any thoughts anybody?

Why can't we do breast stroke? I can understand if you have had a hip replacement. Like you I have not managed front crawl.

Dear DD & SW,

Hello.

xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    The following link is a great forum for those who have been diagnosed with OP (osteoporosis). It is an American site so drugs talked about have different names from those we are familiar with. The information on there is vast and extremely helpful.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/national-osteoporosis-foundation/

Earlier in this thread I posted the UK link. I belong to both forums now.

I have a feeling our generation are the guinea pigs for those being diagnosed with OP. Many GPs lack knowledge on this subject so it would appear that we have to do our own research if we wish to help ourselves and make choices as to which way to go with regards trying to prevent further damage.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jacquemcdonald
    jacquemcdonald Member Posts: 3
    Options
    hi yes i suffer from both oa and osteoporis and fibromyalgia i also have degenerative disc desease from 201 im 46 now and i got out of bed one one because i couldnt sleep put my foot to the ground i bounced of wardropes dislocated my foot and broke it in 3 places had to have surgery and a plate inserted.my foot just wasnt there no feeling at all this would happen quiet alot loss of feelings in both legs but i honestly hadnt got that sensation that morn i broke my foot. but however my foot is in an awful state shape not right swollen and very painfull. surgeon told me they couldnt fix part of one of the fractures because it was mangled and was i not aware of the arthritis in my foot. i reply no i wasnt i have prop with my other foot defo not the one i broke. well i was sent for a dexa scan and was told osteoporis and am on vd3 and folic acid for rest of my days. i also suffer from terrible spasms and tremors and was told that the lack in vits and folic would contribute to spasms and tremors wel i can tell and say these tabs defo haavent help either spasms or tremors and i am wondering is any one out there suffering from tremors and spasms and lost of feeling in legs and arms and the spasm that servere my hands and feet have dislocated quite alot. i would be very grateful for advise trying to work out is it fibro i have or something else kind regards x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hello jacquemcdonald. I don't think we've 'met' before so welcome to the forum.

You sound to be having an extremely tough time of things. In all my time on here I don't think I've ever read of someone breaking bones because they had no sensation there. It sounds very distressing.

I'm not a doc but can't help wondering if there's something else going on here besides the arthritis, osteoporosis and fibromyalgia ie might you have some nerve damage that prevented you feeling your foot?

If the meds and supplements they've given you aren't working you really need to go back and say so. It might be that you need a higher dose or different meds. I hope things will improve for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hi jacquemcdonald

Your condition sounds utterly distressing. You only mention that you are on VitD and folic acid for your osteoporosis. You should be on an OP drug I would have thought, for sure. Did you omit to mention what you are taking? I tried two of the Bisphosphonates but neither agreed with me (a medication taken once a week) and am now on strontium ranelate (Protelos) which is a powder taken every night mixed with water. I also make sure I take enough calcium daily and have a Vit D tablet to take. You have to have enough daily VitD and Calcium to make the meds work. if there is any doubt the gp will prescribe a calcium and VitD tablet combined.

If you have already broken bones easily, including in the spine, then you are much more likely to have fractures in the future.

Please go back to your gp. If you get no joy from him/her please find a gp who cares and knows about osteoporosis as many are, unfortunately, very naïve regarding this.

Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Stop at One Campaign by the Osteoporosis Society being launched in September to raise public awareness:

http://www.nos.org.uk/page.aspx?pid=1305&srcid=261

• elnafinn
    Options
    Dr Richard Keen, consultant rheumatologist and listener Jean Duggleby, who has osteoporosis and has suffered five fractures in the last ten years, talk about the condition and how to manage it on Woman's Hour.

I have just listened to it and thought it may perhaps be of interest to some on the forum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01d3xr3

(duration 8 minutes)

Elna x

• jacquemcdonald
    jacquemcdonald Member Posts: 3
    Options
    hi folks thanks for your support yes i do take that bisp once a wk as well as the vitd3 and folic acid along with alot of other med baclofen, transtec patch,propranolol,,amitripiyline quinnine diazepam,stemetil, trospium. yeah an awful lot of meds i hate taken them i have up the dose of baclofen to 6 aday which did help abit i also go to reflex which i feel defo helps. yes i do have nerve damage was told that in 201 but has just got to the stage now with losing feeling in my legs and arms and the muscle wasting in my legs is terrible im terrified of breaking another bone i try so hard to stay active but it really is tuff some days and when i lose the feelings in my legs i know not to try and walk or i will do damage bigt i just wait for it to pass but defo need to get investicated more deeply kind regards
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That is, indeed, a whole truckload of meds. Yet you still have a lot of problems. When did you last have a meds review? If not recently it might be worth asking for one.
    Steven Wright