Hip Pain & Chest CT Scan

Options
DebbieT
DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
edited 22. Aug 2013, 14:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I was taken off of mtx at the beginning of July as a persistent chest infection had become pneumonia. I saw a respiratory consultant who says I have far worse asthma than I've ever been diagnosed with but he's also sending me for a CT scan of my lungs to make sure I've got no Mtx scarring on them. The appointment arrived today ... Its next Friday @ 8.40am :) That's good news.

I've been in an awful lot of pain lately which I'm certain has an awful lot to do with being off of mtx as well as flaring from PsA, Psoriasis & fibromyalgia :?
Today I was shopping with my son (he's 23 :) ) & my right hip seemed to just give out from underneath me & caused really sharp deep pain down the back of my hip but not as if it was sciatic involvement ... I wondered if any of you have had anything similar? Also it makes a deep clunking noise wen I move that hip too, no pain as such tho, any ideas??

I know I'm asking a lot so don't worry if you can't answer.
Hugs to you all.xxx
Healing Hugs
Debbie.x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My ankles and knees clunk all the time but my right hip isn't bad enough as yet - I'm sure its time will come. :wink: I've never noticed meth make a difference to my pain levels but that's probably because I have OA in addition to the PsA and meth is not designed to help that.

I think the scan is a good idea - like all auto-immune things asthma can worsen and it's wise to check for scarring. At least you don't have long to wait for it - please let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    Options
    I have 'widespread' OA in my hips & spine, according to the report my rheumy wrote for DLA. Is clunking OA or PsA related do you think? I've heard plenty of grinding over the years from many joints but clunking is pretty new!! :lol:

I think the mtx was dampening down the PsA n now I'm only on pain meds, nothing to treat the disease, so it's running riot ... At least thats wot I've been assuming?!?

Due to repeated chest infections they're all wondering if it's caused permanent lung damage ... I'll never be allowed on mtx again if there's any scarring from it, even if it's a small amount :? Sulph was useless so it'll be the next step I suspect. This new rheumy seemed less than interested :( Glad my dermatologist is so on the ball!!! She really has a battle with my stubborn psoriasis :?

Thanks DD xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Debbie;

Glad to hear you have a date for your scan and it's soon :D!

Sorry you are having trouble with your hip. I have a bit of clunking in the left one sometimes when it's very inflamed. Like you, the clunking is not painful. I have OA, thanks to the untreated PsA, in the hips and SI joints on either side of the tailbone and sometimes the whole thing (pelvis&hips) just seizes up with muscles going into spasm/burning, etc. and I can't even move.

I don't know why joints give out with us arthritics, but possibly if the joint space is not allowing proper movement and there is pressure on nerves, it can lead to what you've experienced. If the muscles were suddenly stretched to stabilise the joint, they could have all gone into spasm causing the pain down the back of your hip. Tendons also can get shoved out of their proper places and end up rubbing, clunking and snapping in ways they shouldn't.

Debbie, I don't know if you consult a physio, but a good one might have a better answer for you, rather than my speculative one :D . Plus, a physio could assess your range of motion and perhaps give you some basic stretches to help? Muscles get very tight after we have been in pain for a while. With your fibro and PsA, I don't know what it is like for you to move. I can only imagine :shock: I really end up not being able to cope with my exercises when I'm severely painful. Then, I chuck the whole thing :) and start over later. I know better, but that's how it goes :roll:

I recently went back to my physio (after quitting in a fit of bad attitude :shock: :oops: ) and I have to admit (am loathe to :oops: ) even though I find the exercise (I only have one to do) hard, it does seem to be helping.

Hope your scan turns out to be easier than your last one, and results are clear. Fingers crossed (crookedly, but at least sort of) for you. I hope you can start mtx again soon (or, even something better?)

You're an inspiration, BTW! Hang in there!
    Many ((())),
    xxAnna
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Oh Anna huni please never think of me as an inspiration, I'm rubbish!! I bury my head in the sand & just take more pain killers coz I'm scared of the amazing hospital that the rheumy is based at (I see her, well him now :( ) at a local hospital coz I won't go to the big one in Bath ... The nurse upset me, made me cry about 4 years ago but that shot my confidence n I can't face it now :( See, I'm pathetic!!! :?

Ure explanation makes sense, thank you :) I do have exercises to try & strengthen my back n hips but I'm often in too much pain to complete them, it maddens me!! Id love to be in a hydro pool daily, bliss, I can only manage 30 mins max at a time, it's a shame.

Is it just me .... I'm scared of pain? :oops: Stupid really as I'm in lots of pain daily!! :lol: I tend to try avoidance tactics, wot a wimp.

Thankfully this is for a ct not mri :) It's like a polo mint, I'll be fine with this scan, thank you, I was so relieved wen I saw which one he'd booked me for! :)

Thanks Anna, I think I'll I need to ring the scary Rheumy Hospital to see one of their physio's. Gulp :mrgreen:

xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Debbie,

I had ct scan following repeated chest infections when on methotrexate. Unfortunately I was then diagnosed with something called bronchiectasis which basically means the lungs are scarred. I now have a tremendous respiratory consultant who cares for me really well, I take daily antibiotics and haven't had a chest infection since last December, also another medication to keep the chest secretions thinner so that the lungs don't get clogged (yuk!!!). Happily since I've been so well controlled on this medication I'm back on a low dose of methotrexate(4 months into it) which has really helped my RA again, so maybe there's a light at the end of your tunnel too-just wanted to encourage you really.

Deb x
  • Susiesoo
    Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
    Options
    Hi Debbie ..... what an encouraging post that is from Deb. It is something that concerns me also as I am asthmatic, so it's good to read something positive.

I hope all goes well at your scan. Do keep us informed.

Susie
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Hi Deb,

Wow, that's amazing :) Same name & similar medical problems!! :lol:
    I'm relieved to hear you've done so well and that uve been allowed back on mtx!! :shock: He gave me the impression that wouldn't be an option if scarring was found. You've clearly been allowed tho :D

Sorry, I know this is gross, Sorry but ....
    I sound like I need antibiotics & steroids again, I'm bringing some really unpleasant things up, was this the case with you? It makes it quite hard to breathe & I get breathless very quickly. I've been expecting the scan to be clear ... Now I'm not so sure :lol:

Thanks Deb, I've appreciated the insight :D xxx

Hi Susie,

Yes, very much so :)

I was initially more concerned with my immune system being low n that causing chest infections ... I was so nieve!!! :roll:

Thank you. I will let you all know once I've had the results from the consultant :) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    hello Debbie
    Gosh you are going through it, I am so glad this chest xray is not long away..you must feel rotten...
    Has for the hip, I did get sciatic pain before I had my THR I can still feel it but not half has bad...I am 6 weeks post op now...it sound like it needs seeing to...but when you have so much going on it is hard...hopefully you can that chest sorted ...then think about the hip..
    I do wish you well ...and please let us know how you get on ((((()))))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Hi Barbara :)

Ure partly bionic, can you run now? ;)

I don't think any replacements are needed for me ... It's never even been mentioned so I assume I'm not in need?! I hope :)

They'll sort my chest out soon. I think, from wot the consultant & Deb has said, treatment will depend on wot is or isn't found at the scan. At least it's being dealt with now, thats a good thing.

Thank you huni.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Hey Debbie;

You definitely aren't the only one trying desperately to avoid pain. I hide daily :D I had a physio 'adjust' my arthritic, ligament torn wrist once. It took me two years to see a physio again, and I'm still iffy. They always push me a little too hard I think. It doesn't take much to make me quit now. But, I keep going and I think I have one 'trained' now. She know when I disappear she's pushed too hard. She puts me under a deep heat/shortwave machine that really helps my joints so I keep going back.

The hospital, well that's another story. I had a nurse botch an IV and explode multiple veins in my arm plus give me the wrong dose :shock: I've never been back.......I used to be extra tough but now I wimp away in my house most of the time.......

I've had my taste of psoriasis now: the burning skin and lesions creeping and forming here and there. No thanks! Between that and joint pain, nerve pain, etc. AAAAARGHH. And, in the middle of it all with flares being off mtx, a lung infection, you managed to quit smoking.

That is indeed an accomplishment and I find it very inspirational!
    You are not rubbish, btw, just human.

30 mins in a hydro pool sounds like heaven. The hydro pool is lovely but I faint after 10min :roll:

Glad it's a ct scan, whew!

Take care((()))
    xxAnna
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Oh Anna you do make giggle :lol:

In all fairness I'd say pustular is probably the worst type of psoriasis to have so I'm not at all surprised that it was enough for you, I only had that form on the palms of my hands & it was incredibly uncomfortable!!

Thank you for sharing ure fear too, it makes me feel more 'normal', wot ever that is! :D

It's a huge relief indeed :D xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    just catching up here so ignore my question on the other post!

I hope they can sort you out med wise. It's really frustrating they cause more problems than they solve. I also have a respiratory consultant, who is brilliant, and he makes sure any meds prescribed won't affect my lungs. There seems to be quite a few of us on here with a similar problem.

take care.
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Thank you Salamander,

Yeah, I'm starting to get that impression :? We'll all be able to qualify as Nurse Practitioners at this rate :lol:

xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    OOOoo, and I've just noticed it says CT right in the title of your thread :roll: :oops: .

My mind is absent, as usual.
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Ure very clever ... That cleverness sometimes misses the small details ;):lol: x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    And some not so small :lol: If you only knew, just ask my husband :roll:
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Sshhh I was making you look good ;) 8)

I get wot is known as 'fibro fog' it's kinda how I imagine the early stages of dementia to be, I'm sure it's nothing like it really!! It's frightening ... I can't find words in my head, I forget wot I'm saying, wot I'm doing etc etc I've had to drive around a round a-bout a few times until someone tells me where we're going!! Ggrrrr It's not nice feeling like ure losing ureself, it's worse in a flare & wen I've had little sleep, yes pretty bad at the moment :? :roll: :oops:

I'm sure he forgives you :) (((( )))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Yes, he just likes to tease me about it. He's got an amazing memory, except when it comes to finding the car in a parking lot :lol:

Maybe I do have fibro after all because I certainly have the fog you describe. I get lost, forget what I'm doing, like you described. It's hard on the self-confidence. As soon as I get a little tired I can barely remember my own name.

Now I've hijacked your thread :lol:
    xxAnna
  • DebbieT
    Options
    :shock: :lol: Good :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me at all. I have all 18 tender points, you ought to get tested. There isn't a treatment really tho. It's good to know & understand where the extra pain, stiffness, fatigue, fog, confusion etc are coming from tho :)

I've found a sense of humour is key to getting thru the bad fog times. I used to get very upset but it just made it worse!!

Right I must attempt sleep again. I've got the dentist this afternoon n it's 4.13am again :?

xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Do you think I should ask for a new xray of my hips? It's so painful :( :oops: x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Debbie, sorry but I've only just picked up your post, was off for my MRI scan :? , really not pleasant but that's another story!

If your chest is rough please go and get those antibiotics sooner rather than later, the faster you nip it in the bud the less lung damage occurs. Maybe you could ask for a referral to a respiratory consultant? I now have rescue antibiotics at home so that I can take them as soon as things start cranking up!!!!

Hope you feel better soon, hang in there, there really is some light at the end of the tunnel. :D If you want to chat more feel free to pm me, happy to share my experiences with you.

Deb xx
  • DebbieT
    Options
    Thank you Deb :)

I've seen a consultant, he's ordered the scan. He asked if I was ok waiting til he had all the info b4 he decided wot treatment/s I'd need, I didn't mind ... Who am I? I dunno wot he's thinking so I said I was. I did have antibiotics & steroids from the gp but I had to use them a month ago :?

I've been to the dentist ... She's just informed me I seem to have arthritis quite bad in my jaw, oh the joys :lol: :roll:

Thank you again Deb.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I apologise for being late to answer your question - I've been occupied with other stuff. I have no idea whether what the clunking is related too and I can't be bothered to find out - I figure I already have enough on my plate and I can't cope with any more, not at the moment. My joints have clunked for a while now and I'm kinda used to it. They are worse in the morning and ease up during the day, only to re-clunk come the evening. Hey-ho. :roll: I hope yours is easier today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    Options
    No apologies needed & I didn't mean for you to find out for me as such, I asked as I thought you knew, No matter tho!!

Thank you & no, unfortunately, its no better today. I hope things quieten for you (((( )))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Oh dear Debbie, jaw too? Hopefully she didn't make you hold your mouth open too long and get it flared up! I get jaw pain too and just love the way it radiates to the facial nerves :wink: ouch!

When did you last have a hip xray? Not sure how to answer your question, mine was last xrayed when it was keeping me up and night and morphine wasn't really touching the pain :shock: I was dismayed how much it had deteriorated in such a short time.....I don't know if it helped to know that. With me, the concern was whether I had avascular necrosis because of all the prednisone. I don't think anyone was too concerned about the OA, except me!

take care, xx
    Anna