I'm playing cat and mouse.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 26. Aug 2013, 17:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, that's got today off to a cracking start :wink: . I removed my humira from the 'fridge to warm through whilst I nattered to a friend then had a shower. After I had dried off I settled on the toilet lid, set the sharps bin on the cistern and prepared to inject.

It started well. It was the left hand side of the tummy today so I gathered a lovely lump of excess flesh and set to work. So far, so good. I watched the bright yellow line descend at a snail's pace until it reached the bottom then removed the pen and luzzed it into it's new home. So far, so good. I applied a plaster (as told by the nurses at the hospital) made myself a cuppa then headed back upstairs to get dressed. So far, so good.

It started going wrong half way up. I've noticed that humira does this with me, it can go one of three ways: hurts from the start, doesn't hurt at all or catches me unawares. Today was one of those days. :roll: I wish it wasn't but it is and it will ease off but, for the time being, I know I've done my injection. :(

I know that humira (aka adalimumab) is a concoction based on mouse proteins. I remember one of my favourite GPs explaining that, as I was mostly based on cat proteins, the mabs probably wouldn't work as well. How right he was. :lol: So, whilst my inner cat is chasing the newly injected mouse around my body, I shall sit nice and quiet on the sofa until things ease. I am playing cat and mouse and it isn't that much fun. :( DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh DD.....You explain things so well! Sorry you are having problems again today. These things are sent to test us aren't they. Sit for as long as you need and I really do hope that you feel better soon.

Take care
    Dee xxx
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    It sounds grim DD :( I hope you start to feel better soon. ((((hugs)))) xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options
    Hello DD
    I'm sorry you are in pain ((((((((DD))))))))
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, feline and mabine are once again equal partners within my slender, svelte self :wink: so I went to T*sc*'s as a treat ( :roll: ) and stocked up with Bank Holiday goodies. I plan another excursion later to get my bloods done - ye gods, will the fun never end? :lol: It's now time for dullers and a pint of water. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    This sounds like one of those truly annoying blips. We expect the arthritis to give us pain. It seems a real outrage when the meds do so too. It's not just the pain itself but also the way in which it interferes with our - very humble - plans for the day.

I hope your inner cat managed to curl up (as far as possible :roll: ) and do the proper cat thing of withdrawing from the world until it seems a better place.

P.S. I see your cat sprang onto the forum before me :D I'm pleased things have now returned to grot normal. Enjoy the goodies. You've earned them :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Yes, have something nice and indulgent you deserve it, hope the dullers have kicked in, you have a good weekend.................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the animals remain quiessant for the rest of the day. Enjoy your goodies- well deserved and somehow what we need when the rest of life feels mean!

Deb xx
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    So glad things have quietened down some. Enjoy your treats, they are well deserved. My son and granddaughter have made flapjacks this morning and bought some for "mamma" to have with her coffee as a treat for going back to work. Yummy :lol:

Take care
    Dee xxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    DD,
    So good to see you are still posting on the forum. Brilliant to know you've still got your sense of humour. Sorry to hear that you're struggling still. Why is it these issues only come the way of the genuinely good and caring people?

I am also sorry to see from another post that you've had a recent bereavement. It's always so hard when it's quick like that - as you've no time to prepare yourself, if indeed, you can ever prepare for such an event.

I have been AWOL terribly lately and I apologise for that but won't hijack this post with the details.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Just a thought but you might try stabbing yourself
    in a different location next time. Either of your thighs are
    acceptable targets.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, hello Ichabod! How's things? Are you up for a spot of hand-holding plus adventures? :wink:

I emply the rotation method, left tummy, right tummy, left thigh and right thigh. These are in an opposite accordance with my meth jabs, so left thigh meth = right tummy humira. It gets complicated, and I am a mere blonde, but somehow I muddle through. DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I was saying to my OH that if I ever have to go on to an injectable med he would have to do it as even now after 20yrs of needles I still hate them!! I'm like a child! I think your so brave to do that then have to deal with the after math till it settles down. I've got to go and see the vampires on Tuesday I bet I'll get a smacked wrist because I'm late for this blood test I forgot to set my calender to remind me to make the appt!
    You do right amusing posts about your antics! It's better to laugh at yourself as we have to live with this everyday!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I take my hat off to you DD...I had the blood thinners for a month..and like you say some don't hurt others ...well you know....I would hate to have to do the regular...but needs must..hope it eases soon...the very thought of mouse whatever.... :shock: (((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Wow DD, I don't know how you do it! Needs must I guess. Sorry it was horrible but happy that you're feeling better now. You do make me laugh, I love the cat and mouse analogy! x
    Toots x
  • dreamdaisy
    edited 24. Aug 2013, 08:30
    Options
    I'm not brave, I'm practical. I wasted so much time waiting around at the hospital to have injections done I concluded, when given the opportunity, that it was much more sensible to do them myself. Life is still rough but at least the little 'electric shocks' have worn off - I am pathetically grateful for small mercies. :lol:

'Im indoors is off to the footy and I will be off to the kitchen to do some ironing. Then we're both off out tonight to friends' for dinner - hoorah! We will be having a Mexican evening - arriba! Arriba! Arriba! Thanks to my grotty sacro joints I am already sitting on a cactus. :wink: DD
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Well, I think you are brave to inject yourself and to all the others on here that have to. I don't think I could do it. And I know that hubby wouldn't. He is petrified of needles. Even when I have an injection at the dr's he has to leave the room. but also, I do love how you can make a joke out of things. I suppose it is your way of dealing with things. But a very good quality. Hope today is going well for you.
    Karen xx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hello DD. Am glad to hear you are feeling a little better. Your reports of your injections just make me feel eternally grateful that is something I don't have to deal with. Take care. Hope you enjoy the 'goodies'. Beryl
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, Constable, I hope that one of my better characteristics is my sense of humour (I had a good teacher in my Dad). It's been proved that a good giggle is therapeutic in that it helps to ease stress and reduces pain levels. Nowt wrong with that, methinks. :wink:

It is surprising what we can find ourselves doing when necessary - Barbara has recently proved that, hasn't she? I began doing my injections when I was put on to enbrel, I could not see the point in my having to go to the hospital twice a week, at someone else's convenience, for something that took just a couple of minutes to do. All the hassle of getting in and out of the car, let alone searching for a parking place - it made no sense. DD

PS Hello Beryl, you snuck in there under my radar - are you in stealth mode? :wink:
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    So, whilst my inner cat is chasing the newly injected mouse around my body, I shall sit nice and quiet on the sofa until things ease. I am playing cat and mouse and it isn't that much fun. :( DD[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol: Perhaps the the next biologic will be based on bird proteins and you'll have a real chase going on in there :lol::lol:
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I hope your evening is lovely, DD. Sorry about the whole sitting on a cactus thing. :( I saw a great cartoon picture of the princess and the pea saying that's what it feels like for us arthritis people. It made me giggle.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello ddaisy,

I am unhappy, but I'm up for hand holding adventures avec vous anytime.

Cause of my unhappiness is I have had two seizures and a stoke and I have had to give up my driving licence for an as yet undecided period of time.

I am feeling fairly ok so if you fancy holding a hand (left one only) with a limping (ra) and gently ageing grandad tell me what's on.

Take care.
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    DD, I wasn't laughing at the pain-part of your story, just your analogy.....Cat and mice, etc. I thought I should add that; I've been told my sense of humour is often inappropiate.

Cactus spines? Do they come with a margarita for Mexican night, or is that off limits? Hope it's fun either way :D
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope things have settled a little and you enjoyed your dinner out. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Hello ddaisy,

I am unhappy, but I'm up for hand holding adventures avec vous anytime.

Cause of my unhappiness is I have had two seizures and a stoke and I have had to give up my driving licence for an as yet undecided period of time.

I am feeling fairly ok so if you fancy holding a hand (left one only) with a limping (ra) and gently ageing grandad tell me what's on.

Take care.

Ichabod, I'm so sorry to hear you've been really going through the mill on several fronts. I have missed you but, as people do drift in and out of here, I didn't assume anything bad.

A friend had to give up his driving licence following a brain aneurysm. he found it very hard going for - I think - over a year but he's back in the driving seat now and I hope you soon will be too.

Please may I deputise for DD on the hand-holding front until we glimpse the sombrero and maraccas clatterating their way towards us?

DD - I hope you had a great evening. Hasta la proxima :wink::lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ichabod, I am shedding a quiet tear or two. Oh mate, I am so, so sorry. I suggest that I hold your left hand and together we will limp gently to the nearest hostelry for a pint or two (for you and me) and a pie (for you) where we shall plan our next adventure. Or maybe we could just hold hands. That sounds like a plan.

Last night was a blast for a number of reasons. Food-wise it was nachos and then fajitas, the home-made guacamole was utterly fab as were all the other bits (she's a great cook). Then there came an unpronounceable Danish desert (she's Danish) of blitzed rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries, strained and chilled and served with cream which you added and swirled in. Then followed the cheese board with one of the meltiest, drippiest, smelliest and ooziest bries I have ever clapped eyes on. Heaven. Utter heaven. No, I am not supposed to eat cheese like that but yes, I did and I'm still here (well, so far). Then I went to bed because I could not sit on my cactus for any longer - I preferred to lie on a few more and sleep. DD

PS There was not one sombrero or any manner of alcohol with a worm or lime in it to be seen.

PPS Thank you, Sticky, for deputising but you can let him go now 'cos I'm back. And what does that bit of foreign mean?