Could I really be this unlucky?

Options

Comments

• petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

I hope you have managed to get some rest, you have touched a lot of hearts on here. Please stay strong and lean on your family and friends and let them carry you through this. You are not alone, there are many people on this forum that can and will offer support and comfort to help you through this difficult stage.

Take good care of yourself, I am willing you to get over this so that you can get on with the rest of your life.

Love best wishes Petals x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Jenny. Once again, you're dealing really well with this. Of course your Dad will want to help but we parents, with the best intentions in the world, don't always know what's best for our children. Stick with your instincts. They've been good so far. As for the tears – I don't do them readily and I, too, would want to avoid situations in which they were likely to arise but one good friend, in front of whom you can just relax and take things as they come, is an invaluable resource.

Timing, of big stuff, usually does suck. There's nothing you can do about that. You did your best while you could and I'm sure you will again but right now you must put you first.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've only just caught up. :oops: I apologise for being late to reply, Thistlegirl, I've not been myself.

So, it's not what you wanted to hear but at least you know and I always think that knowing is the better option. You can square up to it, deal with it and get through it. Work? Nuh-uh, hon, everyone is dipsensable and the schools' worries and concerns are just that - theirs, not yours. You need space, time, peace, you need life to be as stress-free as possible, you need time for you and your family. I am thinking of you very much. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

As an ex-teacher myself, I know how extremely stressful the profession is - not what you want at the moment. Have you spoken to your head? If you don't feel able to discuss the situation with your head of department, maybe the head could inform those who need to be told. You've done the planning - which is the hard work - so I'm sure your school will be able to work through the courses. Ignore what your boss said about being in trouble if you were off - you aren't letting anybody down! They'll cope because they have to. As others have said, at the moment, you have to put yourself first - which is probably something you're not used to doing.

So, be kind to yourself. You're in my thoughts.

Meg (((())))
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

Firstly, just hopping into your pocket-will be resident for as long as you want us there.

Wow, life surely does throw some curved balls, but at least you know what you are facing now, sometimes the imaginings are worse than knowing.

You sound so strong and courageous, and as a teacher I have no doubt that you are full of care for others, but for now the only person you have to worry about is you- take the time you need to get strong for the battle ahead, school's worries are not yours just now.

If it's okay with you I will be holding you in my prayers, can't think of any other way to help.

Take care, and keep talking if it helps.

{{{{{{{{{ }}}}}}}}} just a few to keep you going for a while, and these are for your family who probably need them too {{{{{{ }}}}}}.

Deb xx
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I have had a good couple of days staying with family. I now have all of my test appointments through, 2 a week for the next 2 weeks, they should have all of the results for the 24th when I am back at the Doctor. I am starting on 60mg of Prednisalone after my PET scan on Friday the 13th (injecting me with radioactive liquid on this day really?? I am fully expecting to be mutated and come out with super powers!)

My joints and energy have been pretty good so far so I hope it continues. I started a juicing/plant based diet in July after watching a documentary called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" The man on it has an auto immune disease that affects his skin. Anyway it struck a chord in me and I really recommend you watch it. I have lost over 10 kilos and my energy levels have improved-with no exercise. I was going to keep it up for Arthur but a lot of the diet is recommended for cancer too. It is basically getting rid of all of the processed stuff and eating as pure food as possible, I figure with all of the chemicals/drugs my body has had over the years the least I can do is to give it the best nutrients/food as well. Better energy, the bags under my eyes that have been there forever have gone, skin is looking good, weight loss. and so far Arthur has been well behaved as well.
    My parents are buying a juicer now too so I have one when I am staying with them but they also want to give it a try.

Thanks for all the hugs and support.

Jenny
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That's good that you now have all the appointments, Jenny. As for the juicing -it sounds to be having a very positive effect which must be helpful. Good for you!
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Jenny

I am so glad you have had a good rest with family ready to face all your tests.

I have had nuclear tests in the past - don't worry it's harmless :lol:

The diet sounds like it's really helping you! clear skin and no bags under eyes?? Fantastic. If it helps you get healthier it has to be a good thing :)

I am glad to hear from you I had been wondering how you were doing.

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Jenny. Am so pleased to hear from you as I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were getting on. Am glad your appointments are sorted. Will be on permanent pocket duties for you over the next few weeks whenever needed.

Take care of yourself.

Beryl. ((((()))))
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Hi Jenny,

That's great news, a couple of days well spent with family :)

And you've got all your appointments through too, with plenty of people ready to jump into your pockets. Also, that diet sounds really positive and I'm in complete agreement that it makes sense to eat well, though I have my weaknesses, I must admit :oops:

Best wishes for the week ahead,
    Phee
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Hi jenny,

I've only just caught up with all of ure posts, my sincere apologies.

I'm so pleased ure drawing such strength from being with ure family wen ever you wish. It's amazing wot a comfort it can be.

I found it a fascinating documentary. A close friend now juices once a month after her initial 2 week one :) I'm glad ure enjoying it & finding it beneficial. I hope ure GP is keeping an eye on ure blood work for you whilst ure doing it!!

Have you spoken to ure boss yet? I wondered how it went if you had?

I'm so glad uve been able to talk on here, I hope it continues to help you.

I wish you so much luck & best wishes ((((( ))))) xxxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • ouchpotato
    ouchpotato Member Posts: 453
    Options
    Nothing to add by way of advice, but just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you. You will find a way through this; I have never come across such a strong, resilient bunch of people before as I've 'met' on this forum, and it is this strength which will get you through, either from yourself or, when you need it, from the others on here.

Take care

x
  • CathrynJane
    CathrynJane Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Jenny.

It was great that you had a nice time with your family, and I think it's a good idea to eat as well as you can. Do you have details of the juicing regimen? I think it could help a lot of us.

All best wishes,

Cathy
  • thistlegirl
    Options
    Hi guys, well I had the first of my CT scans this morning and when I booked in the nurse noticed that I had another CT scan booked for next week and offered to do it today as well- flexible NHS!!!
    I get my glow in the dark MRI on Friday and I am getting a bone marrow biopsy on Monday-not looking forward to that one, does anyone know recovery time on that? I have only been told that it feels like you have been kicked in the back the following day.

I have only talked to my boss through emails and texts-my choice. He has actually been really good but I can't leave him to get things organised for my classes so I am going in for a bit....
    I have been off work this past week getting my head around things but I am going in for the next 3 days to sort out my classes so I can switch off that part of my brain when things get tough. I don't know how work is going to be all the staff know, I just hope they are sensitive . I am fully ready to pack it in if it was a bad idea, we'll see....

I am meeting 3 of my closest friends for dinner tomorrow-it was my 35th birthday on Friday. I am going to tell them my news then as I haven't had a chance to before now, doesn't exactly fit the the celebration mood but I need them to know as I know they will be a great support.

I have my room set up at my parents and my sisters house so I can get help when needed but we are also sorting out my flat so it is as easy clean and live in as possible.

I am starting 60mg Predisilone on Friday to try to treat the cancer while they are waiting for the test results. It will feel good to start treatment of sorts but until I get all the test results in I feel I am still waiting, been being doing a lot of that recently. :cry:

Jenny
  • kentishlady
    Options
    Hi Jenny. Am so glad to know you are making progress with your appointments. Remember, we are all in your pocket whenever required - you will have a job to get rid of us.

I am sure that you will find your fellow staff very supportive. I do hope you get on ok when you go in tomorrow, and will be thinking of you.

I hope you manage to enjoy the evening with your friends in spite of having to break your news to them. They are bound to be upset, as you will be too, but I am sure you will find them a great support. After all, that's what friends are for.

Take care of yourself.

Beryl. xx. (((())))
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good news so far on the scans, Jenny.

My elder son had a bone marrow biopsy when he was 8 and had viral meningitis. He didn't like it much :roll: but was soon home.

I love the way you are dealing with the work problems and I do hope the staff are sensitive to your needs when you go in. You deserve that.

I also hope the dinner went well.

You have your plans drawn up re your parent's and sister's houses as well as your own. You must be one amazing person, you are dealing with all this so well.

I hope the pred helps and my fingers are crossed for the scan results.
    Steven Wright
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Great to hear that your nurse was sensible and flexible enough to get your scans done all at once Jenny. It's great that you have plans to meet with your friends and let them know what's going on - they'll be supportive I'm sure and it'll be good for you to know you can call them and talk. Please don't overdo it at work, you have to be your first priority absolutely. x
    Toots x
  • righthandman
    righthandman Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Hello there Jenny.
    Just discovered your thread and I know its been said loads of times but I just want to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as of now. You are brave and inspiring.
    We are all on this assault course of pain and illness, and this is a particularly hard part of the assault course, but if we cheer each other along, its easier.The annoying thing is that I don't want to be on a wretched assault course, I would rather be in deckchair watching! But there you go!!
    Take care, Ralph.xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wow girl, talk about being calm and in control. I laud your courage. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • kentishlady
    Options
    Hi Jenny. How did you get on yesterday? Do hope you managed ok and that your evening out with your friends was as nice as possible. Have been thinking of you. I so admire your courage. You are a wonderful example to us all.

Take care. Beryl. ((((())))) xx
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Gosh, you're so organised, Jenny - well done you.

I hope your evening went well. I'm sure your friends have all been supportive.

I think all you can do about work is see how it goes and I hope that your colleagues are sensitive to you. I can understand you wanting to clear the decks, so to speak, before you begin your treatment.

Many happy returns for last Friday. Take care of yourself and I hope that your other scans go well. We're all thinking about you.

Meg
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Gosh Jenny, the children you teach are so lucky to have a teacher who still comes into work with all you are going through.

I'm glad you have things organised and are getting so much support from family and I'm sure the same will happen with your friends.

You are certainly an inspiration in how you are dealing with this.

Lots and lots of luck over the next few weeks with all your tests.

Suzanne x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Jenny

I do hope today has been a good one for you and that the meal is going well for you tonight.

I am sure your friends will take your news well and be a fantastic support to you.

Good planning getting a spare bedroom set up just incase you need some TLC.

Waiting isn't easy is it? I hope the prednisone is ok for you - you ought to feel really well on it and as you say it's 'doing something' finally

Take care of yourself

love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Jenny;

I hope you are feeling well and that sharing with your friends was helpful for you. You are indeed a very brave person.

I'm hoping your scans go well and the marrow biopsy isn't too painful.

Best wishes,
    anna
  • thistlegirl
    Options
    Well after some delay I got my bone marrow appointment for friday after my scan-thought this was a bit odd but the docs know best. then this morning the scan people called to confirm I was ok for friday and I checked with them about the biopsy-No way could it be done after the scan I am going to be radio active! So I called the biopsy nurses and told them and so it was cancelled for Friday. ....at 2.15 today I got a call " is there any way you could come in this afternoon for the biopsy Jenny?" "that should be ok I am at work now though, when would it be?"......."can you be here by 3pm? it is too late after that for the lab"......So I ran up to the office, told/asked my boss that I needed to leave, sorted out cover for my class and was out the door in 5 mins.
    It helped me avoid some of the good wishes, people knew it was my last day so were dropping by a lot to wish me well. Nice but tough.
    I got to the hospital and ran smack into cancer world, rooms of people hooked up for chemo, head scarfs and balding heads, I wasn't ready for that. Everything so far had been away from the cancer specific unit but this was one hell of a dose of reality.
    My dad was heading in by bus so he could drive me home, I told him to wait in reception when he arrived I didn't want him to have the same shock I did..he got through . After my biopsy (uncomfortable and sore at times) I found him wondering the halls, I wish I could have spared him seeing that until/if he has to.
    Today was my last day at work til I get treatment sorted, today it also became real. The doc said the steroids should start to shrink the lumps over the next week, and when I see him in 11 days he will have all the results and will be able to decide about chemo then.

Today sucked, roll on tomorrow

Jenny :(