Should my 19yr olds maintenance grant count as income?

Options
2»

Comments

• justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well got a letter today to say they want to see proof of my sons income from 1st Sept 2013 to 15th Sept 2013 (15 days) before he got his grant.

I called them to say he does not have an income and the payments that myself and wife were getting stopped on 31st August. I have no paperwork to prove his income as he hasn't claimed or earned anything.

They said I have to go and make an appointment in their offices and sign a declaration in front of one of their staff to say and confirm he has had no income.

They said its because he didn't get his grant payment until 16th September and they want to know how he met his everyday living expenses during this 15 day period! I told them it was difficult and had to make money stretch while he was awaiting his grant.

They also confirmed that nothing will change and that this declaration is the only thing they need, So will have to sort that out.

just thought I would keep you all updated - Its never easy with these departments. But least everything should carry on as it was.
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Justin
    Have you got any letters or proof regarding his student loan?
    I know their loans have just been paid in as my daughter has has hers
    I wonder if a bank statement would suffice
    They are so annoying you have to prove everything to them but not the same when they are after your money!
    My daughters loan is just enough to cover her accommodation so she will still owe £27,000 at the end even more if she does her masters
    Luckily she has a summer job to ease the financial pressure as we are not in a position financially to help her and my son is hoping to go to uni next year and I'm hoping he will get a bit more than her
    I don't understand why they would even class your sons loan as a wage but I suppose its to get more money out of you Grrr
    I hope you get it sorted soon
    Maria
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Hi Maria - They have had all the student finance paper work and all the income paperwork nearly 4 weeks ago.

I did the declaration today and signed it in front of the council tax clerk, She also gave me a receipt to say it had been scanned onto the system.

They again said nothing will change and his grant isn't classed as an income as its for transport and items for his course and because he is not receiving any income everything should stay the same.

What a nightmare it is to tell them anything just to keep on the right side of the rules :(
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    well they are happy to leave people without money for 15 days so surprised they even care. but i suppose they just want to make sure he didn't have any work for those 2 weeks.

grants/loans are always late.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein