'Flu Jab.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. Oct 2013, 04:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
It's that time of year, I contacted my surgery and am booked in for October 16th. If you are immuno-suppressed and haven't yet heard from your GPs surgery about this then don't fear ringing up to enquire, I reckon it is a necessary thing. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I checked on line with our surgery ours is due on 9th october.Mig
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options
    Hello DD
    ours is booked for 5 oct. have a good weekend
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Daughters just booked hers and she's ok as its not a live vaccine
    Will have to check when mines due, should have done it the same time doh!
    I sat in the surgery with her when she said it and though ooh must sort mine out but then I blinked and forgot all about it dear me my mind has a mind of its own :lol: :oops:
    Right note to self ring Monday morning
    Thanks for the reminder
    Maria
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Does everyone with an autoimmune condition get a flu jab? if that's the case my GP has never mentioned it to me
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, this year I will NOT be skipping it. Although I have been told I can't have any live vaccines so I will need to check first if it's ok.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well done to dachshund and Mig, that is good news and I am pleased. :) Viller? I think it depends on your meds: I fell through the net because my immuno-suppressants are prescribed by the hospital (apart from the sulph, the GPs surgery has always filled that script but even so . . . . )

Hello As5567. I don't know how it's constructed but, to date, I have not had any troubles with the 'flu jab (I know, I know, lucky me :wink: ) so please discover what you can, I ain't a doc but I reckon this is important for us, yes? DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I've also previously fallen through the net because MTX injections and leflunomide tablets come directly from the hospital pharmacy, despite me also sending them my prescriptions every time. This year, they remembered before me and I'm booked in for a Saturday surgery so I don't have to miss uni, so yay!

Don't forget the pneumonia jab if you haven't had it either, I think you have them every 10 years but don't quote me on that!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Ours are booked for the 3rd of October.....I haven't got an autoimmune condition but we are "THAT AGE" that we are supposed to have it every year :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I've just got a letter from my surgery. I'm seeing my gp on Monday so will see if she can do it. Last year my injection site got infected and I had to take antibiotics. The nurse was sloppy with hygiene so I made a complaint and am not going to see him this time.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I got a letter a couple of weeks ago reminding me to make an appointment. Must do that on Monday. I've had them for 4 years now and not had any problems.
    Christine
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    I got a letter a couple of weeks ago reminding me to make an appointment. Must do that on Monday. I've had them for 4 years now and not had any problems.

I have always had them, last year I just didn't get round to having it and I caught flu.... I will never miss a dose again!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I think most flu vacs are killed virus derivatives and are ok for us autoimmunies. The live vacciness are not.

Thanks for the reminder DD. No point in waiting, I'll book mine this week. I am very severely hit with viruses when they happen, and then they trigger a flare. Does that happen to other autoimmune folk too?
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    Ours are booked for the 3rd of October.....I haven't got an autoimmune condition but we are "THAT AGE" that we are supposed to have it every year :wink:

Love
    Hileena

Same here! ;)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Glad I'm not the only one :wink:

Love
    Hilena
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    The first time I had the 'flu jab, two years ago (because I'm 'that age' too), I also had the pneumonia vaccine. Unfortunately, I developed cellulitis from this injection. It spread rapidly down my arm and was rather nasty. I was on strong antibiotics for 10 days. Is this the same thing that happened to you, Salamander? The doctor just said it was 'one of those things', but I wondered if the whole thing had been rushed. We have 'vaccination mornings' at our health centre, when the whole village seems to be there and you're in and out in two shakes of a lamb's tale. If I see the GP before the 'flu jab days I think I'll do the same as you, Salamander, and ask if I can have it done there and then.

Meg
  • maria09
    Options
    Hi
    I do think its advisable if you have an auto immune disease
    I'm not sure if it depends what medication you take but definitely if you take methotrexate and Azothiaprine
    I'm lucky I don't often get anything other than the usual cold that doesn't last long but now on methotrexate I won't take a risk
    One word of advise they won't give you your flu jab if you have a cold already so best get in before the colds start arriving
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder DD..I haven't heard from my GP so will get in touch with them..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Very informative - when I was at the docs on Thursday I saw that they're running flu vaccine days, but doc didn't mention it to me and I didn't really think about it. I'm wondering if I should wait till I've seen the rheumy for confirmed diagnosis, although of course diagnosis may be a ways down the line. Hmm.
    Toots x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Elna
    Glad I'm not the only one :wink:

Love
    Hilena

Hi Hileena

I am not 65 years old yet, another two years to go, so perhaps I am on the "at risk" list ..... hubby is not 65 years old either and has not received a letter like I did this year and last year.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    Options
    is the age 60 or 65...I have had one for 3 years..apparently because of the meds I was on.... :? am 63 and a bit... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Options
    What's the bit Barbara :lol::lol::lol:
    It's OK....I know :lol:
    I don't know if it is 60 or 65.........think it is 65 so I think your little bit counts Barbara LOL
    We don't get appointments.......we just have a "flu day" and everyone goes. I had an arthritis stand last year :wink:
    Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    Options
    :lol::lol: Hileena ..its only a little teeny bit honest :wink: ..come to think it might be 65 because the nurse asked me why I was down for it 3 years a go..not a clue.... :? we have to make an appointment...so I will ring them..
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    Options
    Hey I'm 50 and having mine! Oh my daughters 19 and having hers too
    It's more to do with your condition than not eligible due to a young age
    Maria
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well, I have to say that I am very impressed by all the organisation that is going on with you lot - apps booked, apps to be booked, well done toeveryone! Mine is on a Wednesday (my usual meth day) so I think I will skip the meth on that day, maybe do it the day before? Or later in the week? Or not at all? Any thoughts on that will be most welcome. DD
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Mine's booked for 3 weeks time immediately after regular bloods :? DD, I shall probably give my meth a miss that week because it makes me feel groggy next day, as does the flu jab=sometimes I just have to take time out!

Deb