age- chronological or other....

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited 14. Oct 2013, 06:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Good morning All!

Yesterday Mrs Stickywicket- pardon: MISS Stickywicket, wrote something I found very intriguing. It is about the difference in between chronological age and mental age. Well, of course any form of arthritis makes one feel very, very old and frail and vulnerable at times. But that is "only" physical. What about the way we define our age mentally? MISS Stickywicket is 15 years old with her mind set on adultery (sic). What about you all? Is there one single person on this forum that feels (mentally) as old or young as the birth-certificate seems to prove? Who's mental age is really in tune with the chronological age written down in his or her's passport?
I'm very curious to read your replies.

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    This is easy mentally I still think I'm in my 20s my body feels like its 90 and I'm actually 50
    Maria :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's a roller coaster, is it not? :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Mentally I'm in my late teens,physically older than my 66 years but oh the shock when I look in the mirror and the teenager has disappeared and my mother is there !! Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oooooh, what a curious and inventive question. Physically I'm a decrepit centurion, calendar I'm fifty-four but mentally? Anywhere between seven and thirty. Seven when I am stamping in puddles, teenager when I hear seminal peices of music from those odd years of my life, thirty when I have to be a grown-up. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So if I get this right, you just may chose the right age for the right occasion? That is brilliant, is it not? A seven year old puddle-stamper with the experience of 50 years and a faible for teen-music, probably still swooning over the pictures of the heartthrobs of those "odd" years? Something the seven year old could not have enjoyed, stuck in puddles as she was :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Spot-on. What's the point of being thirty when you spot a puddle and you're already wearing wellies? Likewise there is little to be gained when you have to make an inportant decision whilst letting the inner seven year old run riot eg 'I need your signature of consent for the operation here and here' and I'm thinking 'I want a cake with jelly babies on the top.' DD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sign the consent and get the jellybaby-cake later. (What are jellybabies, by the way?)
    I wonder if there are any people here without the mental-chronological age conflict.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Jelly babies are little jelly sweets, of various colours and manufactured in a shape that vaguely resembles a human outline. I always eat the heads first, that seems kinder. DD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh, those! I see. I never liked them much. But I would eat the feet first to make them scream.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    :lol: Oh you wicked boy! :lol: DD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The key-word here would be "boy"! :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    To re-introduce a bit of decorum here (Calm down you two :roll: ) age is an odd thing. I know some people who have never been young and some who never grew old. My Dad for one. When my boys were young he and they would get all giddy together. I'd calm my two down, fearing for Dad's heart, but there was no way Mum could calm him down.

I want to ensure I wear my body out fully before becoming compost. Several joints have already gone but there's still a bit more mileage in other bits.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But we ARE calm. Are we not, DD?
    I have to agree with you, Miss Stickywicket. Sometimes I'm rather astonished about some really old Twens. So sad for them. They are already in the pension-fund trap.
    When I was a teenager I was definitely older than my age and prefered the company of older people. That has changed in a way. My best friend is twenty-one and we go on brilliantly, but I like to be with some of the 80 plus I Know. (Not all, though). On her ninetieth birthday my grandmother told me with an expression of disgust that she simply can't stand old people :)
    Becoming compost? That is kind of eternal life, is it not?
    There is definitely a lot of mileage in your head Miss SW!
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    15 years old with her mind set on adultery
    15 year cant commit adultery
    I am so sharp he he vha ha
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    skip skip skip ....puff pant puff ...............I agree with you all yesterday spent in p/j s on the sofa ,made absolutely no difference my mind was else where ,DEFINATELY a puddle splasher ..Miss DD and Miss S/W ..have it down to a T ... some very cheeky chappies on here going on.15 to well bless you all ..watched J/K those poor kids they were never young ,we might have been dealt some difficult cards but in the end its got to be aces all the way with our young at heart attitude ....yes skip skip . all the way Marrianne :lol:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dear Colin
    of course a 15 year old can commit adultery. Though it seems to be kind of risky for the (married) partner. But with the expression "the mind set on adultery" we clearly speak of a more theoretical form of adultery. Or wishful thinking? Absolutely legal :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I would like to point out at this point, for the sake of my 45 yr old marriage, that I have never ever committed adultery, aged 15 or any other age. I was speaking purely (NB) metaphorically. I have thought it once or twice, mind you :wink: and, if Alistair Cook is available, not to mention the lovely Dr D at my rheumatology clinic, I would never categorically rule it out. Mr SW must be kept on his toes :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nothing is ever categorically to be ruled out! That would be against the categorical imperative, would it not?
    Of course I understood the metaphorical nature of your words. Honni soit qui mal y pense :wink:
    Lucky Dr D.
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I guess I'm some where in my mid thirties until I get my shoes out of the wardrobe. In my head I can still wear the stilettos with four inch heels!
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • daisyday
    daisyday Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Just turned 60 chronologically but it doesn't seem real -it's just a number to me. In my head I'm late twenties and often feel that unrealistic optimism of the twenties when you think there's plenty time left to achieve everything and reach great heights, even though I had to take early retirement several years ago due to bad health. LOL

When I'm out shopping I forget that I'm no longer a size 10 (haven't been for ages) because inside I feel that I still am and find myself eyeing up unsuitably miniscule jumpers in the charity shops before coming to my senses.

Physically and socially I live a much more mundane and less energetic life than my 86 year old mother whose every week is action packed with events and loads of friends. She still travels a lot of overseas, is not even on any meds and her mind is as sharp as the proverbial pin.

My excuse for my own comparatively slothful existence is that I have loads of chronic medical problems whilst she has none. Must have got the bad gene, eh? So, most of the time I feel 30, in my head, but comparing myself physically with my mother I sometimes feel absolutely ancient!
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Some of the lyrics of an old pop song say it for me .......

"I wish I was a little bit younger and I knew what I know now."
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not so sure if I want to know what I know now. I think I'd like to be younger, beautiful, happy, rich and daft.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    My inner three year old is to the fore today. I am a full-blown shouting, screaming, pink in the face temper tantrum and blowing raspberries at the entire world. :x DD
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So it's your nanny's day off, DD? Raspberry stains are so difficult to remove. You just may get into serious trouble if you continue blowing them! :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You are a very cheeky boy. :D I needed that smile, thank you. DD