UPDATE ON THR

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 14. Oct 2013, 09:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Latest update.......I've just had a phone call from the hospital today to say that after seeing the blood tests they did...I'm anaemic :shock:

I've to make an appointment with the GP for the middle of next week and by then she should have got a letter asking her if there are any more tests she needs to do, meds I have to take etc.

From what I remember the last time if you are anaemic they wont do the operation then????

I'm just about to go online to the surgery and see what times and dates I can get for next week.

Love
Hileena

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Right, that would appear to be a setback but I think you have time to deal with this before the date of the op. (I know, I know, I am not a doc but . . . . . )

Anaemia is not an uncommon problem and can be remediated via iron tablets and boosting the iron content of one's general diet. The former can lead to 'blocked drains' (constipation :oops:) and for the life of me I cannot recall the better sources for the latter apart from watercress, liver and pilchards (which doesn't sound like an ideal mix :wink:)

I hope you have been able to make an appointment and I am sure this can be sorted in time. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Options
    Curly kale, brown rice and prunes! The latter should help with any constipation issues. Fiddlesticks Hileena, I hope they get around around this fast! Hugs x
    Toots x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    DD....I'm a veggie so liver and pilchards don't sound very appetising :lol::lol: Whaton earth do you do with watercress apart fro salad?? I've been thinking as well and I remembered watercress and broccoli...then got stuck :lol:
    Toots.....Curly is similar to broccoli isn't it??? Showing my ignorance here. :wink:
    Brown Rice...yes ...I'll have to change from white and as for prunes I take prune juice because of the meds I take.....so will swap to dried prunes and see....At the back of my mind ins wholemeal bread??????? Oh yes fortified cereal. Thanks to you both

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Sorry forgot to say I have an appointment at 8.30am next wed :shock:

Love
    Hileena
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Nice bottle of stout everyday. Mig
  • hileena111
    Options
    What a good idea :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • Toots
    Options
    Kale isn't a broccoli type veg, it doesn't have a head like cabbage or broccoli, but it belongs to the same family. You should be able to get it at your local supermarkets, I know I can.

On reflection however, the stout sounds like a great alternative!! x
    Toots x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hileena
    I got a letter to say I was anaemic after my pre op tests when I had my THR and same with my TKR, doctor put me on iron tablets until I got my date for the op.

I dont eat meat and as I dont have much appetite am probably lacking a few major vitamins and nutrients. :(

Hope it works out well for you.
    Kath
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,950
    Options
    Hileena
    have you tried all bran crunch that helps me. sue is on iron tabs she feels better now she's been on them a month she has a 3 month supply.
    she takes 3 a day.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I had forgotten that you are vegetarian - I apologise. Watercress is good in salad, can be a garnish in a sandwich and makes a lovely peppery soup. I happily munch it by the handful. :) I know that some types of nut have higher iron levels but I can't remember which ones. Time to interweb methinks! DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks Toots, Kath, Joan and DD
    Just got another update :roll:
    2 letters in the post a few minutes ago.
    First one is a copy from the orthopaedic surgeon to my GP confirming the date of the operation....Also saying that part of the pain is coming from my back and I understand that possibly the THR isn't going to cure all the pain. OK

2nd Letter......from a different dept in the hospital.
    Saying that with anaemia I am more likely to have complications and possibly blood transfusions after the op......Had a blood transfusion after the first one anyway :roll:
    "Because we do not want to put you at increased risk we will postpone your surgery until we find out why your blood count is low" :x

They have written to the GP to give him the tests and I have to see him. I've got an appointment on Wed 8.30am

"We have asked your GP to contact your surgeon when it is appropriate to offer you a new date for your operation ":x

So I'm hanging in mid air now....don't know whether I'll have Christmas with or without a THR!!!!!

Love
    Hileena
  • Toots
    Options
    Oh no!! :( I don't know what to say, I sincerely hope the doc can get you sorted out, and fast. x
    Toots x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options
    I expect it'll just be a short blip, Hileena. Better to get it sorted before the op though.

I like mig's suggested remedy. I think dried apricots are also a good source of iron as are beans, lentil and chick peas. Plus, eating Vit C rich foods with them all helps the body to absorb the iron better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Toots and SW
    I doubt that it will be the 13th now....but at the same time I don't know....I hate being in limbo....Things like a diagnosis....I can cope much better when I'm told what I've got even if its not curable and is degenerative.
    I'll go shopping tomorrow for some more food......you would think there was nothing in the house :lol: but things like dried prunes, apricots,
    beans I have, lentils I have and chick peas I have so that's a start

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh, how bl**dy frustrating for you, I am so sorry. DD
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hello Hileena. Sorry that you have hit a slight stumbling block and do hope you can get it all sorted soon. Hope your appointment goes ok on Wednesday. Lucky you getting such a quick appointment, I have to wait at least 3 weeks, and sometimes more before I can see my gp!

Take care.

Beryl

xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I haven't got back to this before now.
    I've got a different appointment.....8.30am Monday {the sooner the better} Not sure who this GP is...one in our practice I've never seen.
    I'll leave the Wed appointment until I see her on Monday then see about cancelling it.
    You're right DD bl**dy frustrating.....I was just getting my Christmas head on then this happens and everything is up in the air again.
    We'll see what she says on Monday and what tests she wants to do

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options
    I just hope this GP is on the ball and gets things sorted ASAP for you :(

He better crack on with it!!!

love and ((()))

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Toni
    I think this HE is a SHE but yes.....I agree with you :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good luck with the appointment, Hileena, I hope that the muddy waters are not further stirred. You need some clarity, yes? DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope all goes well on Monday. Mig
  • hileena111
    Options
    Yep...clarity is what I need!!!!

I'll let you know what she says on Monday {if anything!!!}

Love
    Hileena
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow Hileena............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    Options
    Good luck from me, too :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hileena I only got back from my break yesterday and just seen this,I hope it can be sorted then you can have your op..hopefully when you see your GP they will get to the bottom of it, I came back from theater with blood attached they never did tell me why...good luck xx
    Love
    Barbara