Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Updates to the Online Community
We are updating the Online Community on Sunday 24th January. You can read the details about the update here.

Job seekers/esa could someone help

KittkatKittkat Posts: 309
So I have severe psa ( all joints affected) on mtx at the moment. I have finished my degree in psychology and have started a one evening a week counselling course ( this is what I want to be some kind of counsellor). Thing is I can't work and I have no money. I need money to get to my course etc and at 23 it is hard not having the ability to earn anything. So should I go for jobseekers (although am ill) or try go for esa. I am scared of trying the esa as it seems people struggle to get it.
Anyway thanks :D
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?

Comments

• BluesWalkBluesWalk Posts: 47
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Heya, I was on ESA for nearly a year with PA. All you have to do is tell your doctor that you are in to much pain to work because of your PA. He should give you a 'sick line' (I was getting 2 weeks, then 4 weeks, then fnally 8 week lines). You phone up the Department for Work and Pensions, say you want to claim esa. I think you are given a certain amount of time for no line, like self cert, but you have to send your lines in.

Pros: You don't have to attend the jobcentre every 2 weeks. All you have todo is send your lines away.

Cons: Unless you are getting anything special you should be on around 50 odd pound a week, which isnt great and I found unfair as I wasent off work becaue there was no jobs or I didnt want to work..
  • KittkatKittkat Posts: 309
    Oh cheers thanks for this yeah not very good is it 50 quid but 50 more than what I get now :)
  • mike26mike26 Posts: 416
    hi kittkat
    pleased to meet you
    I think you need to apply for PIP. you can apply for this wether your
    working or not. good luck mike26 :roll:
  • KittkatKittkat Posts: 309
    thanks mike :)